MindRomp Forum

MindRomp Forum (http://mindromp.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mafia (http://mindromp.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Omelas Mafia game in sign-ups at TR (http://mindromp.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3586)

oblivion 22nd November 2017 10:59 PM

Omelas Mafia game in sign-ups at TR

I was asked to run a game based on the short story The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas, by Ursula K. Le Guin. So I will.

It will probably start late next week.

Sign-up thread: http://talkrational.org/index.php/topic,1735.0.html

There might be some funky mechanics involved. I haven't decided yet.

borealis 22nd November 2017 11:08 PM

I had a LeGuin conversation yesterday. I was waiting in pre-op in my ridiculous hospital get-up, and a wandering surgeon saw I was reading Always Coming Home. He hadn't read it and wanted to know about it, so we had a good ten minute talk about LeGuin, the book, her various other books, and post-apoc fiction in general.

ACH is a very soothing read in anxiety producing settings.

oblivion 22nd November 2017 11:44 PM

I can see that, for sure.

oblivion 22nd November 2017 11:46 PM

Also, hope the op went well and you're well-recovered!

I had no idea you were had a hospital thing happening yesterday!

borealis 23rd November 2017 01:49 AM

Nothing serious and I am fine. :)

Carlsson 23rd November 2017 09:42 PM

im still waiting for that yule game you promised

Carlsson 24th November 2017 05:22 AM

just a heads up so you dont forget about it

Majiffy 24th November 2017 11:47 PM

I'd be down to get lynched D2 of a game here. :awesome:

nostrum 25th November 2017 02:05 AM

##vote jerf FINAL##

oblivion 25th November 2017 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsson (Post 414481)
im still waiting for that yule game you promised

I couldn't come up with a design that I really liked and gave up thinking about it. :(

That was also a strangely awful time. I can't even remember precisely why it was awful. I just remember feeling overwhelmed.

MSG 25th November 2017 04:52 AM

you can't remember why you were feeling awful and overwhelmed in November and December 2016?

borealis 25th November 2017 04:55 AM

The mind mercifully blurs some traumatic memories.

MSG 25th November 2017 04:57 AM

ns, although the last 12 and a bit months have felt like one continuous ptsd episode with no sign of early relief

oblivion 25th November 2017 05:22 AM

It was 2015, I think? And yeah. I remember how I felt, but not any one specific trigger.

It was the first anniversary of my dad's death, and that might have been upsetting me more than I realized at the time.

borealis 25th November 2017 05:42 AM

Very likely. I still find myself becoming a bit unhappy for no obvious reason until I remember it's the time of year my brother died, and that's many years ago now.

We are sensitive to memory cycles, it seems, often without conscious awareness.

rachmarie 25th November 2017 07:05 AM

:christyes:

For me it starts around now and goes through most of December due to so many deaths :ohdear:

MondoVman 26th November 2017 10:57 PM

Immediate celebration of Life is the cure, instantaneous no less, yet so many choose to wallow.

People DIE. Get over yourselves, start living, start celebrating.

Timewave 26th November 2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MondoVman (Post 414600)
Immediate celebration of Life is the cure, instantaneous no less, yet so many choose to wallow.

People DIE. Get over yourselves, start living, start celebrating.

We go through this discussion everytime someone mentions grief.

Mondo, grief is a part of life and is a part of the celebration of life.
If you can't grieve then you are missing out on a part of the celebration of life and that is your problem, no one else's.

Sheesh, Get over Yourself.

Timewave 26th November 2017 11:27 PM

One of the people in one of the Self-Help groups I work with mentioned that the next day was the first anniversary of her husband's death.

We told her to grieve and mourn and to celebrate the love they had for each other and their autistic son who they were full-time carers for.:awesome:

borealis 27th November 2017 01:27 AM

I quite like the local celebration of life events we have here. We wait for about a year after the family ceremony, whatever that may be, and then invite everyone, family and friends, to a big party where we eat, drink, tell stories, play music, sing, look at photos and video if there is some, and remember the person as they lived.

It's usually held in the summer, somewhere you can get outdoors. Enough time has passed that loved ones aren't still devastated, the circumstances of their death are blurred a bit by time. Almost always is a good experience.

My friends tend to include potluck or catered food, a small table set up somewhere with a photo of the deceased and a bottle of their favourite drink, with stacks of shot glasses so anyone who wants to can drink to the person, and fireworks after dark.

Timewave 27th November 2017 01:54 AM

Talking about fireworks.
We aren't allowed fireworks and cracker night in Queensland Australia.
Not sure if it is to protect people from themselves or because of the danger of bushfires which you guys call wildfires.

Of course, we have professional fireworks displays all the time.

But it use to be fun growing up letting off penny bangers and rockets, Catherine wheels. :)

Timewave 27th November 2017 01:57 AM

That post was in response to Borealis letting off crackers where there is no real chance of a wildfire. It is so hot and so dry here so often we have to be very careful of having a bonfire, campfire or just throwing a cigarette out the window can start a fire.

Can you have firecrackers in southern California?

borealis 27th November 2017 02:20 AM

Quote:

Halifax, Nova Scotia collects on average 1388 mm (54.6 in) of rainfall per year, or 115.7 mm (4.6 in) per month.
On average there are 156 days per year with more than 0.1 mm (0.004 in) of rainfall (precipitation) or 13 days with a quantity of rain, sleet, snow etc. per month.
The driest weather is in June & July when an average of 94 mm (3.7 in) of rainfall (precipitation) occurs.
The wettest weather is in November when an average of 143 mm (5.6 in) of rainfall (precipitation) occurs.
Clearly it is seldom dry enough to worry about forest fires, though it does happen and this past summer and fall were unusually dry.

We can buy fireworks in convenience stores.

OmicronPersei8 27th November 2017 11:48 PM

damn canadians and being responsible with fireworks

Timewave 28th November 2017 12:02 AM

I guess in a culture where you can give babies guns, it seems silly not to give kids firecrackers big enough to blow their hand off.