MindRomp Forum

MindRomp Forum (http://mindromp.org/forum/index.php)
-   Rompus Room (http://mindromp.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Random Romps (http://mindromp.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089)

Gonzo 31st May 2012 05:31 PM

Random Romps

A thread for all of the things.

Ripping off a famous thread authored by my internet nemesis. I feel no guilt, I seek only pleasure.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...pp27o1_500.gif

Magicziggy 2nd June 2012 02:08 PM

This is random. Did I tell you about my bin? As in garbage bin. I know I need to write in many dialects here.

Anyway, my bin.. It's the blue bin actually. Thats for all the household rubbish that can't go in the yellow recycle bin or green garden waste bin. So I have three bins. I only use two as there is no garden here .. Although curiously I do have a green bin . It's taken me about a month to half fill the yellow bin. But I digress.. The blue bin.

There are ten flats/ units/ apartments in my block. It's a normal sized block so you can imagine that bin collection day is a bit of a free for all to get the things lined up on the side if the road so they can be emptied. Actually the green and yellows are alternate weeks. The blue is every week.

So some fucker has been putting their rubbish / garbage/ trash in my bin. And it gets full by about Tuesday and bin collection is on Monday. First I thought I had id'd the culprit. Single white female with purple bin bags. I saw her taking them out and then lo and behold my bin is overflowing with purple bin bags. Then the bin is mysteriously put out for me on Sunday night but by Wednesday still hasn't been brought in. In fact its lying forlornly on its side on the pavement/ sidewalk. So I bring it in. Three hours later it's got more bags in it. White ones this time. And some trashed mail. Aha.. A lead .. Hmmm flat 6.. Indian couple.. Not much of a lead.. I often dump junk mail in the nearest available bin. Not quite the same as the volume my bin is being subjected to.

I'm thinking of a sting operation. Or retaliation. Defintitely going to spray paint a skull on the lid. These people are nuts.

Gonzo 2nd June 2012 06:07 PM

nothing-says-you-spend-too-much-time-on-the-internet-like-a-meme-cake

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=500&h=367

oblivion 2nd June 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 46605)
This is random. Did I tell you about my bin? As in garbage bin. I know I need to write in many dialects here.

Anyway, my bin.. It's the blue bin actually. Thats for all the household rubbish that can't go in the yellow recycle bin or green garden waste bin. So I have three bins. I only use two as there is no garden here .. Although curiously I do have a green bin . It's taken me about a month to half fill the yellow bin. But I digress.. The blue bin.

There are ten flats/ units/ apartments in my block. It's a normal sized block so you can imagine that bin collection day is a bit of a free for all to get the things lined up on the side if the road so they can be emptied. Actually the green and yellows are alternate weeks. The blue is every week.

So some fucker has been putting their rubbish / garbage/ trash in my bin. And it gets full by about Tuesday and bin collection is on Monday. First I thought I had id'd the culprit. Single white female with purple bin bags. I saw her taking them out and then lo and behold my bin is overflowing with purple bin bags. Then the bin is mysteriously put out for me on Sunday night but by Wednesday still hasn't been brought in. In fact its lying forlornly on its side on the pavement/ sidewalk. So I bring it in. Three hours later it's got more bags in it. White ones this time. And some trashed mail. Aha.. A lead .. Hmmm flat 6.. Indian couple.. Not much of a lead.. I often dump junk mail in the nearest available bin. Not quite the same as the volume my bin is being subjected to.

I'm thinking of a sting operation. Or retaliation. Defintitely going to spray paint a skull on the lid. These people are nuts.

This happened to us once years ago. There were these trash can sheds out by the carports, scattered through the complex. When we got to the bottom of it, we learned that the person filling up our trash can thought it was her trash can. It was sorted with minimal fuss.

a spray painted skull might do the trick!

borealis 2nd June 2012 07:51 PM

Hmm. We have blue bags for recyclables, green bags for garbage, papers/magazines go out in a plastic grocery bag, and we have big green municipality-issued compost bins into which all organics, including veg, meat, fish, edible oil, boxboard (think cereal boxes), small amounts of garden waste must be put. They each have a computer chip which links that compost bin to the municipal address.

Biggest problem out here is black bears in early spring. They like meaty fishy oily compost.

borealis 2nd June 2012 10:23 PM

I'm singing and playing one song solo this evening, three others with my group. It'll only be 80 to 100 local people in the audience, it's just a benefit show for someone, so why am I as usual all freaked out about soloing? :hair:

MSG 2nd June 2012 11:47 PM

what style of singing?

Gonzo 3rd June 2012 01:18 AM

It's interesting to cashier... people come through the line... some very happy, some very impatient and angry, some quite obviously poor, some obviously doing quite well for themselves, some young and crazy, some old and senile, some distressed and not doing so well...

I suppose if you do it long enough the emotion turns to: eh, just people. Fuck 'em all, but I find it kind of therapeutic.

Gonzo 3rd June 2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 46635)
I'm singing and playing one song solo this evening, three others with my group. It'll only be 80 to 100 local people in the audience, it's just a benefit show for someone, so why am I as usual all freaked out about soloing? :hair:

What song?

Doing a solo takes courage, good luck!

borealis 3rd June 2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG (Post 46651)
what style of singing?

Song was Wild Goose by Wade Hemsworth, Canadian songwriter who mostly wrote about Northern Ontario wilderness in the forties. There's a vid of him singing it online, but I've completely rearranged it until it's not even the same tune.

So a folk song, chords Am, D, Dm, F, G, C.

borealis 3rd June 2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 46664)
Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 46635)

What song?

Doing a solo takes courage, good luck!

See above. :)

And it went really well, I got a lot of ego boosting compliments, including from several local musicians I really respect. :yes:

But o man I was so nervous I could barely find the first chord.

MSG 3rd June 2012 03:41 AM

hippie folk music. figures...

[:hehe:]

borealis 3rd June 2012 03:43 AM

Worse: really really old hippie folk music!

You should hear me sing Omie Wise. :grin:

nostrum 3rd June 2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 46629)
Quote:

This happened to us once years ago. There were these trash can sheds out by the carports, scattered through the complex. When we got to the bottom of it, we learned that the person filling up our trash can thought it was her trash can. It was sorted with minimal fuss.

a spray painted skull might do the trick!

fashion a lock for it. I know what these apartment dweller types are like. Now it's purple bags, next week it'll be body parts, you mark my works

nostrum 3rd June 2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 46714)

sound bite OINH

charlou 3rd June 2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrum (Post 46822)
Quote:

sound bite OINH

And we have just the spot for it: http://mindromp.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088

charlou 3rd June 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

tehehehe

Magicziggy 3rd June 2012 01:36 PM

At what point do I give up on the washing ever drying because it keeps raining?

borealis 3rd June 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrum (Post 46822)
Quote:

sound bite OINH

If I could figure out

1. How to produce a sound bite, and
2. How to upload it and where

I might very timidly comply.

Gonzo 3rd June 2012 02:43 PM

Raidiohead concert in... 3 days!

Gonzo 3rd June 2012 03:24 PM

oblivion 3rd June 2012 05:29 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...86977630_n.jpg

Gonzo 3rd June 2012 07:41 PM

The Five Remembrances
Quote:

I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.
I am of the nature to have ill heath.
There is no way to escape having ill health.
I am of the nature to die.
There is no way to escape death.
All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature of change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.
My deeds are my closest companions.
I am the beneficiary of my deeds.
My deeds are the ground on which I stand.

Gonzo 3rd June 2012 07:53 PM

I came across a turtle! :3

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...70618839_n.jpg

:turtle:

ericv00 4th June 2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrum (Post 46821)
next week it'll be body parts, you mark my works

Freudian slip?

nostrum 4th June 2012 09:18 PM

Crap, he's on to me :nostrum:

nostrum 4th June 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 46938)

Awwww cute! Did you give him a name?

oblivion 5th June 2012 06:18 AM

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...61501800_n.jpg

How the HELL did I miss this episode?

divagreen 5th June 2012 06:32 AM

steampunk startrek

charlou 5th June 2012 07:35 AM

animated graffiti ...

Gonzo 5th June 2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrum (Post 47207)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 46938)

Awwww cute! Did you give him a name?

Dali.

oblivion 8th June 2012 06:19 AM

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...02116846_n.jpg

MSG 17th June 2012 05:29 AM

404 file not found

eta ... stupid UPS

nostrum 17th June 2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 48048)

ha! I find that funny, but I'm also agreeing with it :embarassed:

oblivion 17th June 2012 05:38 AM

that was my reaction, too.

nostrum 17th June 2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG (Post 49082)
404 file not found

eta ... stupid UPS

:hehe:

...don't know why, but that reminded me of a poster at TR whose initials are B.R.

MSG 17th June 2012 05:40 AM

oblivion 17th June 2012 05:41 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...62322175_n.jpg

nostrum 17th June 2012 05:55 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Bwjf5m-f6N...00/so+true.jpg

borealis 17th June 2012 05:55 AM

Raven, our dog did that and worse to a friend's house. We left her there while we went skiing for a couple hours. She likely would have been fine, she normally was. But she wandered into their small bathroom, and managed to half close the door, upon which an ironing board behind it fell over, opening up as it came down effectively locking her in the bathroom. She chewed a leg off the ironing board, then she ate the bottom out of the pine door to get out. But not before PANIC had set in and caused her to tear that bathroom up.

It was awful.

nostrum 17th June 2012 05:57 AM

I used to have two weimaraners. I left them inside for a few hours while I went to my mum's for dinner (it was bitterly cold out). When I got home one of them had eaten through the entire arm of the couch. Bits of stuffing everywhere. Of course, my silly dog had forgotten what she'd done so I couldn't get mad with her.

MSG 17th June 2012 05:58 AM

Speaking of Radiohead concerts:
http://www.theage.com.au/world/rock-...617-20hpt.html

Magicziggy 19th June 2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Further to this.

I don't have much to recycle so it takes a fair while to fill the recycle bin. After two months I finally put it out on Sunday night ready for the early Monday morning collection. Some fucker in a gold 4wd has parked alongside my bin. I mean of all the street he chooses my bin and of course the bin is now full and it's two weeks till the next collection [/rant]

oblivion 19th June 2012 03:03 PM

maybe you can accidentally borrow someone else's recycle bin for a couple weeks!

Magicziggy 19th June 2012 03:07 PM

Don't be so bloody sensible. This is war I tell you. The 4wd was gold for christ sake.

oblivion 19th June 2012 03:09 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...82767402_n.jpg

He'd be driving a gold 4wd!

oblivion 19th June 2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 49295)
Don't be so bloody sensible. This is war I tell you. The 4wd was gold for christ sake.

Is the car door unlocked? You could put your recyclables in the back seat!

Magicziggy 19th June 2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 49297)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 49295)

Is the car door unlocked? You could put your recyclables in the back seat!

Oh it's gone now. And talking of locked car doors.. I locked my car keys in the car for the second time in a week this evening. First time was at work and it cost me $200 to join the RAA so the guy could fail to attempt to break in through the quarter light because the quarter light was in fact unlocked.

oblivion 19th June 2012 03:20 PM

I had to google "quarter light" to be sure. I've never heard the vent window called "quarter light", but from the context I was almost sure that's what you meant.

Magicziggy 19th June 2012 03:23 PM

I was sure was speaking American slang.

Bobby Arthur 19th June 2012 04:16 PM

:no:

borealis 19th June 2012 04:42 PM

Not even Canadian slang. Sounds like a term from the forties, long ago discarded.

Bobby Arthur 19th June 2012 05:07 PM

Considering the last car sold in the US that actually had those was the Yugo, I don't know why you'd think that was American slang...

What the hell do you drive Ziggy?

Magicziggy 19th June 2012 05:26 PM

This song suddenly woke me up in my sleep. I had to post it. And if you can't be bothered with the whole thing, it's at around about 1:00 in.

I drive a 2000 hilux.

Bobby Arthur 19th June 2012 05:47 PM

Had to google that too. They haven't called it a Hilux in North America since the 70s.

MondoVman 20th June 2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 49292)
I don't have much to recycle ...
it takes a fair while to fill the recycle bin ...
the bin is now full ...
it's two weeks till the next collection [/rant]

Too funny! : frivolous rant denied :

Magicziggy 20th June 2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MondoVman (Post 49322)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 49292)
I don't have much to recycle ...
it takes a fair while to fill the recycle bin ...
the bin is now full ...
it's two weeks till the next collection [/rant]

Too funny! : frivolous rant denied :

I've decided on a different tack having dreamed bins and quarterlights all night.

The only contact I've ever had with one of my neighbours is when I rammed into one of their cars in the car park. The Hilux is good for some things, and making the most of minor contact is one of them.

I don't know any of the other occupants of the ten flats. We are like our bins. A randomly strewn chaotic mess.

Watch this space.

Magicziggy 20th June 2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Arthur (Post 49314)
Had to google that too. They haven't called it a Hilux in North America since the 70s.

What the hell is with you Americans. We rely on you to let us know when the English language changes.

You have KFC, right? Aussies don't like to waste time on words when letters will do.

oblivion 20th June 2012 06:19 AM

this is amazing

Spoiler
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...69354965_n.jpg

Spoiler
"Recommended by pseudoatheletes"!

MSG 20th June 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Major branding fail, Toyota America.

Bobby Arthur 20th June 2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 49327)
You have KFC, right? Aussies don't like to waste time on words when letters will do.

Sure, they changed their name to KFC because they didn't want people to notice the word "fried".

oblivion 22nd June 2012 04:13 AM

Quite possibly the best headline of all time

Topless feminist disrupts psychic pig's feeding time

borealis 22nd June 2012 04:27 AM

:staregonk:

It is things like this which sometimes cause my belief in reality to slip dangerously. Somebody has to be scripting the world.

MondoVman 22nd June 2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 49491)

Yabut which one is the feminist?

nostrum 23rd June 2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 49339)
this is amazing

Spoiler
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...69354965_n.jpg

Spoiler
"Recommended by pseudoatheletes"!

If by 'amazing' you mean :staregonk: then yeah

nostrum 23rd June 2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MondoVman (Post 49514)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 49491)

Yabut which one is the feminist?

well it didn't say braless

Jerome 23rd June 2012 05:33 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/408...x2-940x627.jpg

nostrum 23rd June 2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 49327)
Quote:

What the hell is with you Americans. We rely on you to let us know when the English language changes.

We certainly don't say "quarter light" without expecting never-ending mockery to result :stuckup:

oblivion 23rd June 2012 04:14 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...91335646_n.jpg

This is purported to be a photo of the couple in "American Gothic" standing beside said painting.

eta here's the text that accompanied the photo.

Quote:

In 1930, Iowa artist Grant Wood painted American Gothic. The models he used for the painting were his sister Nan Wood Graham and his dentist, Byron McKeeby. Here they are next to the painting.

borealis 23rd June 2012 07:10 PM

I think he was a little cruel to his sister. The dentist fared better.

oblivion 23rd June 2012 08:45 PM

I would say so.

on a completely different note...

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...48859624_n.jpg

nostrum 24th June 2012 06:37 AM

:hehe:

borealis 24th June 2012 07:16 AM

http://chzjustcapshunz.files.wordpre...big-spider.jpg

borealis 26th June 2012 04:20 AM

This is pretty neat. The scale of the universe:

http://htwins.net/scale2/?bordercolor=white

charlou 26th June 2012 05:04 AM

That's cool ...

Russell's Teapot in there .. :D

borealis 26th June 2012 05:37 AM

Yes it is. :)

Jerome 27th June 2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 49745)

We can find no boundary no matter how deep or how far we look.

ericv00 28th June 2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome (Post 49785)
Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 49745)

We can find no boundary no matter how deep or how far we look.

Goes without saying when we know there is a limitation on how far we can observe.

Facetious 28th June 2012 08:54 PM

A friend has just posted this pic on facebook.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...22157768_n.jpg

That was up Newcastle way, they had a mega storm about 2 hours ago and about 1 hour ago it hit us.

oblivion 28th June 2012 09:03 PM

whoa. hope it's not quite so torrential in your neck of the woods

Facetious 28th June 2012 09:15 PM

We were out at a restaurant when it hit and it was pretty bad for about 30 minutes but it passed us by quickly. I think the storm dumped most of its load on Newcastle.

I'm waiting for news on my brother, he has been in contact with his wife recently. He gave a co-worker a lift home because of the rain but now he's stuck in gridlocked traffic, there are massive floods on the road he's on and he can't go anywhere.

oblivion 28th June 2012 11:30 PM

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...08803850_n.jpg

MSG 2nd July 2012 04:52 AM

Wishing I could post pics of the kilometres of empty beach under crystal blue sky I'm suffering under.

I just took photos of a baby echidna some kids found in the holiday village. The beach stone-curlews are resting on the ground a few metres from where I write.

charlou 2nd July 2012 05:30 AM

sure sux to be you, msg ... I'm living high on the hog here in an ice box apartment, the kids having luxuriated in the last of the hot water for the day ...But, just as I begin to feel I should not gloat too much, here comes the sunshine, rearing it's ugly head through the grey sky to ruin my day. :mad:

MSG 2nd July 2012 05:41 AM

Also I just saw a spangled drongo.

Magicziggy 2nd July 2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlou (Post 50188)
sure sux to be you, msg ... I'm living high on the hog here in an ice box apartment, the kids having luxuriated in the last of the hot water for the day ...But, just as I begin to feel I should not gloat too much, here comes the sunshine, rearing it's ugly head through the grey sky to ruin my day. :mad:

Cardboard ice box?

MSG 2nd July 2012 06:37 AM

Shaddup Obadiah

nostrum 2nd July 2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG (Post 50193)
Also I just saw a spangled drongo.

MZ is there????

nostrum 2nd July 2012 02:55 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/7cb009f1-9a49-a334.jpg

oblivion 5th July 2012 01:23 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...83357704_n.jpg

best thing I've seen on facebook today

MSG 5th July 2012 01:32 AM

Slow day on fb then

borealis 5th July 2012 02:32 AM

I think it's funny.

MSG 5th July 2012 02:44 AM

PM posted a similar joke on tr so maybe that spoiled it for me

MondoVman 5th July 2012 04:09 AM

Ooh. Our annointed Queen of Spoiled should sober up once in a while, in addition to regaining a sincere sense of humor.

oblivion 5th July 2012 05:36 AM

It's been the most commented link on my wall since the one about Picard's tablet.

My standards are pretty low.

borealis 5th July 2012 06:22 PM

http://chzhistoriclols.files.wordpre...dmas-house.jpg

oblivion 5th July 2012 06:41 PM

We have one of those in our earthquake kit. No power outlet required. Just plug in the phone jack and it works.

borealis 5th July 2012 07:13 PM

We have a more modern version that works the same way. It has the electric bells and whistles but works fine without power - just don't get call display and all that fancy stuff.

Bobby Arthur 5th July 2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 50687)
We have one of those in our earthquake kit. No power outlet required. Just plug in the phone jack and it works.

Assuming you still pay for traditional land line service. VOIP doesn't count.

oblivion 5th July 2012 09:15 PM

That sounds like a nice compromise! We hardly ever lose power - maybe once every 3-4 years for a couple hours. When we have to replace our bells and whistles, I'll see what sorts of phones can operate with and without power.

oblivion 5th July 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Arthur (Post 50695)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 50687)

Assuming you still pay for traditional land line service. VOIP doesn't count.

We have both. VOIP for my dh's work-from-home. Land line for family/personal.

And 4 freaking smartphones. If it weren't for earthquakes, I'd ditch the land line.

VOIP was very convenient this last month. DH went to Florida to help with his family (his father's being treated for lymphoma), and has been able to work from there seamlessly. It would be easy enough to forward calls and what not, but still.

borealis 7th July 2012 03:17 AM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...-blame-you.jpg

Jerome 7th July 2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 50689)
We have a more modern version that works the same way. It has the electric bells and whistles but works fine without power - just don't get call display and all that fancy stuff.

Phone lines run electricity.

borealis 7th July 2012 04:02 AM

Phones stay live when power co.'s lines go down.

We never lost landline access during any power outage.

MondoVman 7th July 2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 51075)

Wrong thread.
Right thread - http://mindromp.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1139&page=2

MondoVman 9th July 2012 01:32 AM

Detour Theatre ART 2010

3 mins, 27 secs you won't regret

(dub dub dub dot detour dot co dot n zee for booking):

ericv00 9th July 2012 01:36 AM

That last line should be a captioned gif

"Because it is. It's shit. I'm sorry."

MondoVman 9th July 2012 03:56 AM

Also, "white on white art". Brilliant, no?

MondoVman 10th July 2012 02:32 AM

Another Original Arts candidate spotted

Just read the first chapter of member's well-written and entertaining fictional work.

Think it deserves addition to the Original Arts forum. Also think it the author's choice to do so.

A few hints of author's identity in hopes someone can guess who it is or the author takes note of this post:
1. Author hasn't posted since April 6, 2012.
2. Is a student
3. Lives in Canada

4. An excerpt from the work
Quote:

He would latch onto some poorly articulated idea and frantically peddle it. Usually people ignored him, and the people who didn't usually just mocked him.

oblivion 10th July 2012 02:40 AM

That's about when Fuzzy started his long and hopefully not permanent vacation from several sites, including MR.

MondoVman 10th July 2012 04:57 AM

Yep, you guessed right about Fuzzy!
Your recent link to the Freedom of Expression thread and therein Fuzzy's link to his nanowrimo effort, was my good fortune for today.
(I was reminded, i.e. finally took note, in succeeding posts that others had already read Fuzzy's delightful work. I say "reminded" because I think today's my 3rd or 4th read through the thread.)

Here's the link to Fuzzy's work ("buried" here despite his work's worthiness, but nuf said).
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2b...UxMjU3NjA1NGQz

charlou 10th July 2012 06:38 AM

Fuzzy, come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/charlou/hug.gif

oblivion 11th July 2012 04:56 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...15719064_n.jpg

MondoVman 11th July 2012 09:29 AM

^ The dog impregnated the cat?

Magicziggy 11th July 2012 01:44 PM

I went to buy a glass lid for my fish tank today. I'm setting it up again after a period of disuse. One of the cats had fallen through the previous lid. There's no fish at the moment. Anyway, I asked about buying a lid at one of the local pet stores. But no, I can't by a lid because the suppliers are in dispute with each other and have stopped production altogether. I mean, this is two guys running a business, supplying Adelaide with aquariums and they are having an argument.

Anybody else keep fish? It's only a small 60L tank. What sort of tropicals would be good together?

Jerome 11th July 2012 02:30 PM

african cichlids

gib 11th July 2012 04:17 PM

MZ if i were you i'd go for something that isn't going to require a lot of maintenance in the long run. This is a 2 ft x 1ft x 1ft tank i take it?

i assume you got a filter in there. What is your tap water like? Do you have any experience with growing aquarium plants? Does it have lights?

gib 11th July 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome (Post 52648)
african cichlids

60L is about 15 US gallons, way too small for a cichlid tank

Mantisdreamz 11th July 2012 10:07 PM

MZ, awhile back when i had a tank, i had yellow gouramis (which are great fish - they're pretty aware of humans, so will come up to the tank to gaze at you), There were tiger barbs. Although i was just looking at a site and it said they tend to be fin nippers. I never had this problem though, there were about 5-6 in the tank, and actually they were often breeding. so there was generally a cycle.. if 1 of the older ones died, there was always about 3 babies to replace it. (And the babies are pretty cute).

I think there were some zebrafish as well.

and silver dollars (but, i don't recommend them). The ones i had were really squirrely.

gib 11th July 2012 10:29 PM

just looking up some ideas for MZ, some of these setups are dreamy:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...Medium/379.jpg

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...Medium/379.jpg

gib 11th July 2012 10:30 PM

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...Medium/327.jpg

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...Medium/327.jpg

Magicziggy 11th July 2012 11:18 PM

It's a two foot tank. For years the kids kept goldfish in it. When the lid broke, they started to jump out. Anyway eventually they all died. Funny story was that one day I found a dead goldfish in the living room. On closer inspection it wasnt one of ours as it had white and black colouring. On even closer inspection it wasnt dead. So i put it in the tank and sure enough it started to swim around. That was the last fish to die. One of the cats must have brought it in from a neighbours pond. I thought about attaching flyers to lamp posts to find the owner.

So I've bought a heater and am aging it and should be fish ready in a week. Am interested in putting fish that will be compatible and friendly and interesting.

SR71 11th July 2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MondoVman (Post 51959)
Just read the first chapter of member's well-written and entertaining fictional work.

Think it deserves addition to the Original Arts forum. Also think it the author's choice to do so.

A few hints of author's identity in hopes someone can guess who it is or the author takes note of this post:
1. Author hasn't posted since April 6, 2012.
2. Is a student
3. Lives in Canada

4. An excerpt from the work
Quote:

He would latch onto some poorly articulated idea and frantically peddle it. Usually people ignored him, and the people who didn't usually just mocked him.

This may be davidm at ff, or dave something or other over there. Sounds like him, he writes. well.

SR71 11th July 2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivion (Post 52276)

LOVE it! :heart:

gib 11th July 2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 52695)
I thought about attaching flyers to lamp posts to find the owner.

haha

Quote:

So I've bought a heater and am aging it and should be fish ready in a week. Am interested in putting fish that will be compatible and friendly and interesting.
plants?

Magicziggy 11th July 2012 11:27 PM

Just the artificial ones. They look real and don't die. The goldfish used to pull them out all the time.

Jerome 12th July 2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gib (Post 52659)
60L is about 15 US gallons

:dismay:

gib 12th July 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome (Post 52720)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gib (Post 52659)
60L is about 15 US gallons

:dismay:

and he has plastic plants

charlou 12th July 2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gib (Post 52678)

Click on the image .... fixt?

MondoVman 12th July 2012 04:55 AM

^ If you were going for dry humor, then yes. Nothing wet directly sighted there.

Otherwise, gib's intro implied something fishy to look at:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gib (Post 52677)
just looking up some ideas for MZ, some of these setups are dreamy:

oblivion 12th July 2012 05:04 AM

The site has a bandwidth protector on. Those aren't the images gib was trying to link to.

charlou 12th July 2012 05:52 AM

mondo, I mean click on the gif in the quote .. I linked it to the site the gif comes from, presumably that's where gib wanted to link to.

Is that it, gib?

Mantisdreamz 12th July 2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 52695)
It's a two foot tank. For years the kids kept goldfish in it. When the lid broke, they started to jump out. Anyway eventually they all died. Funny story was that one day I found a dead goldfish in the living room. On closer inspection it wasnt one of ours as it had white and black colouring. On even closer inspection it wasnt dead. So i put it in the tank and sure enough it started to swim around. That was the last fish to die. One of the cats must have brought it in from a neighbours pond. I thought about attaching flyers to lamp posts to find the owner.

gouramis. honestly MZ. just get several variations of them. hardy fish and sweet (for a fish!!)

http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/...ldGourami3.jpg

if you place your finger up to the tank, they will take their feelers and press it up to the other side of where your finger is. so cute.

your funny stories about dead fish on the living room floors. ...are actually nightmares for me. For some reason, i used to at least (not lately) have nightmares of some fish tank exploding and then seeing a bunch of fish on the carpet flopping around.

MondoVman 12th July 2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gib (Post 52677)

Actual fix:
Click on this: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008/Medium/

Then on the "Index of /2008/Medium" page,
Click the 329.jpg link.
Click the 327.jpg link.

Courtesy of MondoVman Pro 3.7

MondoVman 12th July 2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz (Post 52884)
your funny stories about dead fish on the living room floors. ...are actually nightmares for me. For some reason, i used to at least (not lately) have nightmares of some fish tank exploding and then seeing a bunch of fish on the carpet flopping around.

roflol, your nightmares filet me.

Magicziggy 12th July 2012 10:40 AM

@mantis

I'd better not tell about the time I was cleaning the turtle tank out and dropped poor Dribble down the side, wedging him between glass and the wall. His little flippers desperately trying to gain purchase. His pathetic prehistoric face expressing 'you bastard' the way that only turtles know how.

No, I won't tell you about that.

Adenosine 12th July 2012 10:58 AM

fish = pointless pets

Neither party gets anything from the deal that you can't get from a screensaver or the fish from it's natural habitat.

Magicziggy 12th July 2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adenosine (Post 52988)
fish = pointless pets

Neither party gets anything from the deal that you can't get from a screensaver or the fish from it's natural habitat.

My son used to watch them at night from his bed. He said it helped him feel calm.

Adenosine 12th July 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 52992)
Quote:

fish = pointless pets

My son used to watch them at night from his bed. He said it helped him feel calm.

:P

MSG 12th July 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

fish = pointless pets

Heh! Every night when Channel 31, the community TV station in Melbourne, used to go off air its overnight screensaver was a continuous live feed of the station fish tank.

Quite mesmerizing at 3 AM...

Magicziggy 13th July 2012 02:53 AM

copy/paste from campervan hire site.

Quote:

*Disclaimer: although there may be enough room to swing a cat bringing pets is not allowed nor is it considered good practise to swing cats as they may scratch your face off.
:grin:

MondoVman 13th July 2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 52981)
@mantis

I'd better not tell about the time I was cleaning the turtle tank out and dropped poor Dribble down the side, wedging him between glass and the wall. His little flippers desperately trying to gain purchase. His pathetic prehistoric face expressing 'you bastard' the way that only turtles know how.

+1. Candidate for the "How Not To" thread? (or not)

MondoVman 13th July 2012 05:37 AM

"Let A Guest Post" mini-game/button

Akin to "single shot-ness" in Mafia, experiencing a brain flash about having a "Let A Guest Post" button on posts - a time-limited, single, first-come-first-use comment by a guest.
1. Member makes a post.
2. Presses the "Let A Guest Post" button (during initial post editing or up to 5 min.s after)
3. First guest to click his "Hey, I Wanna Post" button (now enabled) gets to post.

- Advertise this in big letters for guest readers (like MSG) to more easily grasp (grok)!

MondoVman 14th July 2012 01:17 AM

Friday 13 July 2012
Dear Diary,
Enjoying the forum much more since everyone (you know who you are) stopped their self-imposed obsessions over starting/not starting 2+ threads per day, posting/not posting some minimum posts per day.
Yours, etc. Personna-in-training,
MV

gib 14th July 2012 01:32 AM

mondo please hurry up and pick a livewriting character

MondoVman 14th July 2012 02:32 AM

What's a nighstalker, chief?

oblivion 15th July 2012 07:40 PM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...10005173_n.jpg

nostrum 15th July 2012 10:05 PM

The chemical formula for holy water?

H2OMG

:owned:

Jerome 16th July 2012 05:01 AM

I am on a STORM of SWORDS.

Adenosine 16th July 2012 05:20 AM

I'm back at uni!

I hate starting. I'd prefer to be in the middle.

Magicziggy 16th July 2012 05:29 AM

I'm back at work :(

Mantisdreamz 16th July 2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicziggy (Post 52981)
@mantis

:stare:

just terrible MZ, how could you.

Mantisdreamz 16th July 2012 06:38 AM

My mom had a bit of a birthday party tonight (she turned 66). I was there, with her neighbor friends, all of the same relative age as her. And at some point, the conversation turns into chat about uteruses. Who still has their full uterus, who has a partial, who has none left... which then led to arguing over the advantages/disadvantages of hysterectomies. :noo:

This had led me to conclude that i really need to meet people my age around this area.

Adenosine 16th July 2012 06:54 AM

How soon afterwards was the prune juice broken out?

Mantisdreamz 16th July 2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adenosine (Post 53668)
How soon afterwards was the prune juice broken out?

It's not that i mind chat about hysterectomies, but arguing about it for an hour is a bit too much.

I think the prune juice figuratively broke out when the ladies started talking over each other on the topic.

Adenosine 16th July 2012 11:25 AM

What's to argue about? Post proof or retract...the prolapse...I'm leaving now...

nostrum 16th July 2012 01:09 PM

one word, two syllables: kegel

MSG 16th July 2012 01:12 PM

http://talkrational.org/showthread.p...13#post1668713

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athene
I have 2 kids and I can still shoot ping-pong balls across the room with my pelvic floor muscles. Kegels, people.

oblivion 19th July 2012 01:55 AM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...34125766_n.jpg

I like her style. I'd wear that any day.

ericv00 19th July 2012 02:15 AM

She wins at life.

borealis 19th July 2012 03:28 AM

The expression on her face is perfect. Love it. :)

oblivion 19th July 2012 07:44 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...15217888_n.jpg

Magicziggy 19th July 2012 08:00 AM

^ lol

divagreen 19th July 2012 08:16 AM

I totally set a towel on fire n the microwave today. oops.

ericv00 19th July 2012 08:49 AM

Whoa! How long did you zap it for?!

Magicziggy 19th July 2012 10:32 AM

Fun with your iPhone

And how it was done

Amok 19th July 2012 05:39 PM

Magicziggy's flopping fish story reminded me of this:

My sister had a tank with goldfish (or something), and they named the fish after the family members. Once, when the two little girls were about seven and five, the little one came running into the kitchen all distraught, sobbing and yelling: "(Older sister and fish's name) is deeeaaaddd!"

The neighbour lady who was visiting over a cup of coffee almost had a stroke.

Amok 19th July 2012 07:12 PM

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Good_New.../19979391.html

oblivion 19th July 2012 11:29 PM

That's something else. Had to be a real shock being the recipient of someone's last wish like that. Sort of a mix of I'm so sorry and OH MY GOD $500.

ericv00 19th July 2012 11:46 PM

I wouldn't "oh my god" to $500. And I would feel very awkward.

oblivion 19th July 2012 11:49 PM

when I waited tables it would definitely have been an OMG moment.

Amok 20th July 2012 04:01 AM

/\ /\ /\

Me, too. Especially in that context, where an explanation was given, it was obviously a family event and also blind chance that I happened to be the server.

I think the waitress handled it with a lot of grace. She was naturally happy about it, but was also thoughtful about the dead guy and the feelings of his family.

MSG 20th July 2012 05:10 AM

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/08/17/...e-bandicoot-6/

http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-conten...icootDay31.jpg

divagreen 20th July 2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericv00 (Post 53953)

I think it was in for only like 3 minutes but the whole clinic smelled like charred towel afterwards.

nostrum 20th July 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amok (Post 53987)
Magicziggy's flopping fish story reminded me of this:

My sister had a tank with goldfish (or something), and they named the fish after the family members. Once, when the two little girls were about seven and five, the little one came running into the kitchen all distraught, sobbing and yelling: "(Older sister and fish's name) is deeeaaaddd!"

The neighbour lady who was visiting over a cup of coffee almost had a stroke.

:rofl: that is a good one!

nostrum 20th July 2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divagreen (Post 54074)
Quote:

I think it was in for only like 3 minutes but the whole clinic smelled like charred towel afterwards.

I've actually melted a bra in a microwave before :stare:

nostrum 20th July 2012 01:06 PM

http://www.deviantart.com/download/2...ph-d4p9rp6.jpg

Adenosine 20th July 2012 01:15 PM

In a similar vein...

http://themetapicture.com/media/funn...draw-a-cat.jpg

charlou 20th July 2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrum (Post 54107)

:D

Adenosine 20th July 2012 01:20 PM

And...http://i.imgur.com/mBgJw.jpg

ericv00 20th July 2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrum (Post 54103)
Quote:

Originally Posted by divagreen (Post 54074)
Quote:

I've actually melted a bra in a microwave before :stare:

Surely you didn't think it would be wise to microwave a bra with an under wire.

borealis 20th July 2012 08:49 PM

It was more likely the spandex and lycra bits that melted. Although why you would stick a bra in the microwave in the first place is boggling. Really cold day?

oblivion 20th July 2012 08:50 PM

probably to get it dry quickly.

borealis 20th July 2012 09:05 PM

Makes some sense. I'd be more likely to stick it in the electric oven, possibly with the same results.

But clearly, the good thing about this is that we can now legit call nostrum a bra-burner. :grin:

ericv00 20th July 2012 09:08 PM

haha

oblivion 21st July 2012 07:23 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...79601563_n.jpg

oblivion 22nd July 2012 04:44 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...49992167_n.jpg

ericv00 22nd July 2012 07:30 PM

Wow! That is almost a perfect match for a character I made for a side-scrolling lawnmower zombie game that never came to be.

nostrum 22nd July 2012 10:06 PM

LOL

nostrum 22nd July 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 54144)
Makes some sense. I'd be more likely to stick it in the electric oven, possibly with the same results.

But clearly, the good thing about this is that we can now legit call nostrum a bra-burner. :grin:

It was my fave :gonk:

And yes it was to dry it quickly.

Still... It now costs less to run free ( *hurries off to barf at the thought* )

gib 25th July 2012 11:54 PM

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress...-from-cats.jpg

MondoVman 26th July 2012 12:07 AM

LOL. "Katzenmilch", because the ave. ESL student doesn't learn any four-letter words ("milk") before year 2.

Bobby Arthur 27th July 2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 54142)
It was more likely the spandex and lycra bits that melted. Although why you would stick a bra in the microwave in the first place is boggling. Really cold day?

Kill a yeast infection?

Bobby Arthur 27th July 2012 09:12 PM

So at what point do I start beating my child?

When I was taking a nap she got into my wife's vanity and dumped out about $200 worth of product.

She also dumped out a $40 bottle of dog/mange shampoo.

She locks the cat in the closet.

She does this kind of stuff repeatedly. She knows she's not supposed to, she does it when we're not watching.

We've talked to her, put her in timeout, taken away TV/video games. Beating is the next step, right?

borealis 27th July 2012 09:12 PM

On your boobs? :stare:

^ to post195.

dammit Bobby.

borealis 27th July 2012 09:14 PM

How old is she? Sounds like two. Or three.

Bobby Arthur 27th July 2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 56093)
On your boobs? :stare:

^ to post195.

dammit Bobby.

It was a joke, but can Oral-Thrush transfer from a nursing baby?

Bobby Arthur 27th July 2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borealis (Post 56094)
How old is she? Sounds like two. Or three.

7, almost 8. But developmentally delayed.

borealis 27th July 2012 09:21 PM

The dumping stuff out thing sounds like she just really likes dumping stuff out. So much it's worth the consequences.

Locking the cat in the closet is a little disturbing - is she able to tell you/give you an idea why she thinks that's a good plan?

Bobby Arthur 27th July 2012 09:40 PM

No. She also puts the dog in her kennel for fun. We do kennel the dog at night, and sometime while we're eating (if she's misbehavinig (the dog)), but for some reason it's fun or funny to put the dog in the kennel at other times.

Actually she's occasionally put both the dog and the cat in the kennel together. That is funny, but I don't think the cat likes it too much.