View Single Post
Old 14th March 2013, 10:09 PM   #84797  /  #1
Exi5tentialist

Pontiff a Military Junta Collaborator?

Ok. I get that Jorge Mario Bergoglio has a record of being a homophobe, and a misogynist, but there seem to be a lot of allegations flying around that he collaborated with the military dictatorship in Argentina in the 1970s.

I don't get this. In preparing this post I was trying to trace the source of this allegation through Atheism+ linking to an article in Freethoughtblogs where PZ Myers linked to a Guardian article containing the allegation yesterday. And today the Guardian article has this addendum:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
This article was amended on 14 March 2013. The original article, published in 2011, wrongly suggested that Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky claimed that Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio connived with the Argentinian navy to hide political prisoners on an island called El Silencio during an inspection by human rights monitors. Although Verbitsky makes other allegations about Bergoglio's complicity in human rights abuses, he does not make this claim. The original article also wrongly described El Silencio as Bergoglio's "holiday home". This has been corrected.
If atheists are going to make headway against bigots we have to be reasonably cautious not to become bigoted ourselves. To turn every allegation into a statement of fact with the worst possible label attached to it strikes me as perpetuating the same propensity to nonsense that the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church is renowned for. It's like all the atheists who were busy trying to make stick the suggestion that Joseph Ratzinger was a Nazi sympathizer because of his forced participation in the Hitler Youth at the age of 14. Ridiculous.
Exi5tentialist is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom