Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old Today, 02:25 AM   #429853  /  #3101
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
In the book most black and brown people were sent to 'the Colonies' (iirc) to be worked to death. It was alluded to several times.

Serious book spoilers, idk what the series does with these bits:
Spoiler

In the book, the protagonist, husband and child, tried to escape to Canada and were caught, husband killed, child given to a 'good' family. At the end, she may have succeeded in escaping to Canada herself. There was an Underground Railroad for the purpose.

From IMDB...

Spoiler
There were no black characters in the original source novel, because Gilead (the repressive theocratic regime that had taken over the U.S. government by the time the book starts) had classified all black people as Children of Ham. This is a reference to the belief held by some fundamentalist Christian denominations that black people are descended from Noah's son Ham and are therefore subject to a "curse" leveled at Ham by Noah. In the novel, black people are forcibly resettled in the upper Midwest (Chapter 14). The producers of this show made a conscious choice to deviate from that aspect of the book so that there would be a chance to include black characters (and actors) in the show, including the casting of Samira Wiley as Offred's friend and fellow handmaid Moira. In a January 2017 interview with TVLine, executive producer Bruce Miller explained that the producers engaged in a "huge discussion with Margaret Atwood, and in some ways it is 'TV vs. book' thing," arguing that in a TV show it would be harder than in a book to explain the persistent absence of black characters. He continued, "What's the difference between making a TV show about racists and making a racist TV show? Why would we be covering [the story of handmaid Offred, played by Elisabeth Moss], rather than telling the story of the people of color who got sent off to Nebraska?" He also justified it by reporting that the "evangelical movement has gotten a lot more integrated [since the book's publication, and] I made the decision that fertility trumped everything." The source novel also included a brief explanation for the absence of Jewish characters in the story: the Gileadean government gave them the options of either converting to Christianity or emigrating to Israel--though the ones who chose emigration were really loaded onto ships that were then dumped into the ocean.
Magicziggy is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #429857  /  #3102
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum View Post
Quote:
In the book most black and brown people were sent to 'the Colonies' (iirc) to be worked to death. It was alluded to several times.

Spoiler

In the book, the protagonist, husband and child, tried to escape to Canada and were caught, husband killed, child given to a 'good' family. At the end, she may have succeeded in escaping to Canada herself. There was an Underground Railroad for the purpose.
Spoiler
husband is not killed and does make it to Canada

she escapes for a bit early S2 but is caught again...guess it's a wait and see how many seasons they make this last?
Serious deviation, but it isn't a very long novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy View Post
Quote:

Spoiler

From IMDB...

Spoiler
There were no black characters in the original source novel, because Gilead (the repressive theocratic regime that had taken over the U.S. government by the time the book starts) had classified all black people as Children of Ham. This is a reference to the belief held by some fundamentalist Christian denominations that black people are descended from Noah's son Ham and are therefore subject to a "curse" leveled at Ham by Noah. In the novel, black people are forcibly resettled in the upper Midwest (Chapter 14). The producers of this show made a conscious choice to deviate from that aspect of the book so that there would be a chance to include black characters (and actors) in the show, including the casting of Samira Wiley as Offred's friend and fellow handmaid Moira. In a January 2017 interview with TVLine, executive producer Bruce Miller explained that the producers engaged in a "huge discussion with Margaret Atwood, and in some ways it is 'TV vs. book' thing," arguing that in a TV show it would be harder than in a book to explain the persistent absence of black characters. He continued, "What's the difference between making a TV show about racists and making a racist TV show? Why would we be covering [the story of handmaid Offred, played by Elisabeth Moss], rather than telling the story of the people of color who got sent off to Nebraska?" He also justified it by reporting that the "evangelical movement has gotten a lot more integrated [since the book's publication, and] I made the decision that fertility trumped everything." The source novel also included a brief explanation for the absence of Jewish characters in the story: the Gileadean government gave them the options of either converting to Christianity or emigrating to Israel--though the ones who chose emigration were really loaded onto ships that were then dumped into the ocean.
Makes sense in terms of the TV series.

Spoiler
Atwood has said that every atrocity and awful practice she described in the novel was something that had already happened/been done somewhere at some time to some people, perpetrated by other people, in human history.

The series focussing on fertility I can understand. The current regression in the US in terms of women's reproductive autonomy is very alarming, and it's a fact that the American birthrate is still dropping. White evangelicals find that very scary.

In 1969, before abortion became easily legally available in Canada, there was an organised group of women in Halifax who raised money to send women who needed an abortion by train to New York, where abortion was legal and easily obtainable. If the US continues its crusade against women I could see that train trip returning in reverse.
Old Today, 03:30 AM   #429864  /  #3103
Majiffy
I'll have you know I'm popular on many web forums

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmicronPersei8 View Post
Deadpool 2
Wanna see. Good?

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
"abit swedish feg", "slightly" off, get a job, penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile