Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 4th October 2013, 07:54 AM   #118913  /  #1
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
We are screwed, FYI

This is a continuation thread; the original thread is here.

Old 4th October 2013, 09:04 PM   #118976  /  #2
charlou
arseist

Well our new government is welcoming climate change deniers to the conversation. :l
charlou is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Magicziggy (4th October 2013)
Old 4th October 2013, 09:43 PM   #118980  /  #3
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Hey, we got one of those governments too. Only ours is more the lip service, try not to spend any money on it, while secretly panicing about Northern sovereignty and the fact the damn permafrost is melting underneath half the Inuit communities.
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 4th October 2013, 10:10 PM   #118982  /  #4
Jerome
Life is just a bowl of cherries

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Pleasant Living
Curiously there has been no global increase for like 15 years ...

First is was, '5 years is not a trend', then '10 years is not a trend', now at 15 years they are ignoring it.
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 4th October 2013, 10:12 PM   #118983  /  #5
Jerome

Quote:
The report, produced by the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), could not explain "why the planet has largely stopped warming over the past 15 years." So it just ignored it. According to the climate data from the U.K.'s weather-watching Met Office, "global surface temperatures rose rapidly during the 70s," but they have "have been relatively flat over the past decade and a half, rising only 0.05 degrees Celsius (0.09 degrees Fahrenheit)."
In September, a draft of the U.N. report simply could not explain why the surface temperatures have not warmed.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...use-in-Warming
Old 4th October 2013, 10:22 PM   #118984  /  #6
borealis
poikilothermic

Jerome... Breitbart, really?

Go talk to the Inuit, who actually live there, and see what they have to say about climate change, as opposed to a website given to outlandish rightwing conspiracy theories.

Might ask your self why every government with a toehold on the arctic has been circling around up there like a pack of sharks for the past few years too. Their health, you think?
Old 4th October 2013, 10:44 PM   #118985  /  #7
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Jerome... Breitbart, really?
They are reporting on a UN IPCC report. Do you understand how reporting is done, they have sources and stuff, you can look it up for yourself.

The models were wrong, there has been 15 years sans global warming.
Old 4th October 2013, 10:44 PM   #118986  /  #8
Jerome

Just because I like you, here is the IPCC info: http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima...d27Sep2013.pdf
Old 5th October 2013, 12:11 AM   #119003  /  #9
Dionysus
absinthe minded

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Adenosine (5th October 2013), Jerome (5th October 2013)
Old 5th October 2013, 12:35 AM   #119009  /  #10
Adenosine
Needs essential amino acids

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlou View Post
Well our new government is welcoming climate change deniers to the conversation. :l
Are they? Oh good. Do you have a link?
Adenosine is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 5th October 2013, 12:53 AM   #119014  /  #11
Jerome

Shouldn't the temperature in Australia go down with the carbon tax?
Old 5th October 2013, 12:56 AM   #119016  /  #12
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

http://griponclimate.org/2013/10/04/...limate-denial

Quote:
Whatever happened to morning in America?

The party of Ronald Reagan just drips with malaise every time they talk about climate. With the horrific reality of climate consequences now overwhelming the denial machine, their posture is subtly shifting from enforced ignorance to a passive slouch.

The new face of climate irresponsibility is the face of futility, ineffectuality, collective national impotence: Even if we tried, it wouldn’t matter, because Asia’s emissions would overwhelm any progress we make.
via
Old 5th October 2013, 12:57 AM   #119017  /  #13
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

no, it isn't
Old 5th October 2013, 02:49 AM   #119035  /  #14
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

http://parliamentflagpost.blogspot.c...ays-about.html
Quote:
Since the 1900s the world has warmed an average of 0.85 degrees and the sea has risen an average of 19 cm. So affirms the 2,216-page draft report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released on 27 September 2013 (see separate FlagPost on the IPCC).
P.S. someone tell Jerome since our election the government wants to repeal the carbon tax. because they're idiots like he is
Old 5th October 2013, 02:54 AM   #119037  /  #15
Anonymous

MSG, why did you activate the Jerome trolling system?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 5th October 2013, 02:57 AM   #119038  /  #16
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

it's just the reverse. you put him on ignore and post the truth bombs until he explodes
Old 5th October 2013, 03:03 AM   #119040  /  #17
Anonymous

He explodes? Awesome.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 5th October 2013, 08:51 AM   #119050  /  #18
Dionysus
absinthe minded

The oceans are heating, acidifying and choking

The one I always feared the most.

Quote:
We know the oceans are warming. We know they are acidifying. And now, to cap it all, it turns out they are suffocating, too. A new health check on the state of the oceans warns that they will have lost as much as 7 per cent of their oxygen by the end of the century.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...s#.Uk_EHCTEMzk
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 12th October 2013, 04:02 AM   #119738  /  #19
UncaYimmy

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Rockville, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Just because I like you, here is the IPCC info: http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima...d27Sep2013.pdf
If you look on page 27 there's a chart showing temps. It's hard to make out exactly if it's 1999 or 2000, but there's a peak there. It's the highest number ever recorded up to that time, and it's a huge jump from the prior year, then a huge drop back down.

So, if you want to present a slanted view of the data, you can use that year as your starting point and say that temps since that year are either lower or barely higher. If, however, you pick the year before or year after and throw out this one year, we see a rise where every year after is significantly higher.

Fortunately, most people aren't that stupid.
UncaYimmy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:16 AM   #125346  /  #20
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

New research shows that average summer temperatures in the Canadian Arctic over the last century are the highest in the last 44,000 years, and perhaps the highest in 120,000 years.

http://www.livescience.com/40676-arc...l?cmpid=514645

eta "The study is the first to show that current Arctic warmth exceeds peak heat there in the early Holocene, the name for the current geological period, which began about 11,700 years ago. During this "peak" Arctic warmth, solar radiation was about 9 percent greater than today, according to the study."
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:16 AM   #125351  /  #21
borealis
poikilothermic

Not really related, but the sun is there. Partial eclipse here in an hour, just at sunrise.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ra...oday-1.2325257
Yay from
Jerome (3rd November 2013)
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:23 PM   #125363  /  #22
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaYimmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
If you look on page 27 there's a chart showing temps. It's hard to make out exactly if it's 1999 or 2000, but there's a peak there. It's the highest number ever recorded up to that time, and it's a huge jump from the prior year, then a huge drop back down.

So, if you want to present a slanted view of the data, you can use that year as your starting point and say that temps since that year are either lower or barely higher. If, however, you pick the year before or year after and throw out this one year, we see a rise where every year after is significantly higher.

Fortunately, most people aren't that stupid.
Actually they do fall for the cherry-picking of data. All of the scare models have been wrong, none of them have predicted our current temperatures.

Also, don't you think it a bit silly to use just decades of data, most times the temperature data is presented with just a few decades, sometimes they will use just data collected via thermometer, that is only 130 years.

Old 3rd November 2013, 02:33 PM   #125364  /  #23
Jerome

Quote:
"All of Baffin Island is melting, and we expect all of the ice caps to eventually disappear, even if there is no additional warming."
Professor, Department of Geological Sciences.
Fellow, Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research.
Director, Center for Geochronological Research

I thought one had to be specifically a climate scientist to take their opinions into account, have you now backed off that standard MSG?

Old 4th November 2013, 02:28 AM   #125433  /  #24
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/sc...inue.html?_r=0

Quote:
Arctic Ice Makes Comeback From Record Low, but Long-Term Decline May Continue

Sea ice in the Arctic Ocean underwent a sharp recovery this year from the record-low levels of 2012, with 50 percent more ice surviving the summer melt season, scientists said Friday. It is the largest one-year increase in Arctic ice since satellite tracking began in 1978.
Related in Opinion

The experts added, however, that much of the ice remains thin and slushy, a far cry from the thick Arctic pack ice of the past. Because thin ice is subject to rapid future melting, the scientists said this years recovery was unlikely to portend any change in the relentless long-term decline of Arctic sea ice.

Im not at all surprised there was a jump upward weve never set two record lows in a row, said Walt Meier, a NASA scientist who has monitored sea ice for years. I would say Im a little surprised the jump is as big as it is.

Last years ice extent was so low that this years recovery looks larger by comparison, Dr. Meier said. The main reason for this years growth, Dr. Meier added, was that the region was colder and cloudier through the spring and summer than in the recent past.

We had cool conditions, cooler than the long-term average, and yet it is still going to be the sixth-lowest ice minimum on record, Dr. Meier said.

Playing out over a generation, the decline of the Arctic ice cap has been one of the most striking effects of global warming, a change in the planetary aspect so large it would have been visible to an observer on the moon. We could be looking at summers with essentially no sea ice on the Arctic Ocean only a few decades from now, said Mark Serreze, director of the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo., in a statement.

Contrary to popular impression, the melting of sea ice does not cause a rise of sea level, since the ice is already floating and displacing its weight in water. But the replacement of white ice with dark water does mean the surface of the Arctic Ocean can absorb far more heat in the summer, which could contribute to the melting of nearby land ice in Greenland, raising sea level.

During the winter, the Arctic plunges into near-darkness 24 hours a day, and a skin of ice grows across most of the ocean surface. But during the summer, the sun shines continuously. The key to the status of the ice cap is how much of it survives the summer melt season to become thick, resilient ice.

When satellite monitoring began in the late 1970s, about half the surface of the Arctic Ocean would be covered by ice at the end of the melt season, which usually occurs in September. By last year, that figure had fallen to 24 percent of the ocean surface, rising this year to 36 percent.

The National Snow and Ice Data Center announced Friday that the low point in sea ice this year had occurred on Sept. 13. The timing varies from year to year, and the agency always waits several days before making an announcement to be certain the ice pack has begun to regrow.

Lately, a new low in summer sea ice has been set every few years, followed by a few years of recovery, followed by yet another low that typically exceeds the previous one by a substantial margin.
Cross your fingers Jerome...

Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 4th November 2013, 02:51 AM   #125435  /  #25
Jerome

35 years of data.

That is a monster data set.

What was it 100 years ago? How does the extent of the ice today compare with 1000 years ago?

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Tags
penis penis penis