Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 4th April 2015, 02:15 PM   #235339  /  #26
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
Edwards River, Mathoura. Full lunar eclipse in progress at this moment.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 4th April 2015, 04:42 PM   #235349  /  #27
Hermit
Innocent bystander

Quote:
Quantum experiment verifies Einstein’s ‘spooky action’

An experiment devised in Griffith University’s Centre for Quantum Dynamics has for the first time demonstrated Albert Einstein’s original conception of “spooky action at a distance” using a single particle.

In a paper published in the journal Nature Communications, CQD Director Professor Howard Wiseman and his experimental collaborators at the University of Tokyo report their use of homodyne measurements to show what Einstein did not believe to be real, namely the non-local collapse of a particle’s wave function.

According to quantum mechanics, a single particle can be described by a wave function that spreads over arbitrarily large distances, but is never detected in two or more places.

This phenomenon is explained in quantum theory by what Einstein disparaged in 1927 as “spooky action at a distance”, or the instantaneous non-local collapse of the wave function to wherever the particle is detected.

Almost 90 years later, by splitting a single photon between two laboratories, scientists have used homodyne detectors — which measure wave-like properties — to show the collapse of the wave function is a real effect.

Professor Wiseman says this phenomenon is the strongest yet proof of the entanglement of a single particle, an unusual form of quantum entanglement that is being increasingly explored for quantum communication and computation.

“Einstein never accepted orthodox quantum mechanics and the original basis of his contention was this single-particle argument. This is why it is important to demonstrate non-local wave function collapse with a single particle,” he says.

“Einstein’s view was that the detection of the particle only ever at one point could be much better explained by the hypothesis that the particle is only ever at one point, without invoking the instantaneous collapse of the wave function to nothing at all other points.

“However, rather than simply detecting the presence or absence of the particle, we used homodyne measurements enabling one party to make different measurements and the other, using quantum tomography, to test the effect of those choices.”

“Through these different measurements, you see the wave function collapse in different ways, thus proving its existence and showing that Einstein was wrong.”
The paper the article refers to is unfortunately paywalled.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 5th April 2015, 02:41 PM   #235451  /  #28
Requiem
MR's Sharingest Poster

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Behind the couch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The paper the article refers to is unfortunately paywalled.
Here you go:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.7790.pdf

The nice thing about the world of physics is that most papers will appear on arxiv prior to publication. Will be minus any last minute editorial changes, but should remain substantially the same paper.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Hermit (5th April 2015)
Old 22nd April 2015, 08:34 AM   #239213  /  #29
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

predicting this will produce a Bro D nerdgasm http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...rs?CMP=soc_568
Quote:
Physicists have said they have fine-tuned an atomic clock to the point where it won’t lose or gain a second in 15bn years – longer than the universe has existed.
eta
Quote:
“Our performance means that we can measure the gravitational shift when you raise the clock just two centimetres (0.78 inches) on the Earth’s surface,” said study co-author Jun Ye.

Last edited by MSG; 22nd April 2015 at 08:36 AM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Brother Daniel (22nd April 2015), Hermit (23rd April 2015)
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:55 AM   #239223  /  #30
nostrum
I do stuff

how does the clock deal with daylight saving?
borealis (22nd April 2015), Brother Daniel (22nd April 2015), gib (22nd April 2015), Hermit (23rd April 2015), Requiem (22nd April 2015)
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:43 AM   #239228  /  #31
Requiem
MR's Sharingest Poster

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Behind the couch.
Lol.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 6th September 2019, 02:42 AM   #450303  /  #32
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

borealis (6th September 2019), Brother Daniel (6th September 2019), nostrum (6th September 2019)

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology