Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

News, Sports & Politics Hello, good evening, and welcome...

Old 15th July 2020, 08:13 PM   #460770  /  #1
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Cancel Culture 'Bari'es The New York Times

It's getting harder and harder to deny that radicals are attacking anyone who disagrees with...well, that's a bit tricky to define.

It looks like a religion - intersectionality or marxism or something...but it crowds more and more people into silence.

Do you follow any 'cancelled' celebreties? Bari Weiss just joined the ranks, quitting the New York Times due to being treated terribly for having opinions.

I've noticed several who have been 'cancelled', that are worth listening to, but that isn't really the point. Cancelling culture, whether an individual like Ms. Weiss, or a Sports Franchise's team name, is a show of force which makes people fear speaking out.

Cancel culture denies you the right to make up your own mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 15th July 2020, 08:16 PM   #460771  /  #2
Cunt
Unregistered member

The 'Harpers Letter' sounded like a joke. I nearly thought it was, until I found that one Noam Chomsky commented on it as if it were real...

"The nature and scale of the reaction reinforce the message of the letter" (from Noam)

Has anyone seen that letter?

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 15th July 2020, 08:22 PM   #460772  /  #3
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
You are so fucking lazy

A Letter on Justice and Open Debate

Adjust

July 7, 2020
The below letter will be appearing in the Letters section of the magazine’s October issue. We welcome responses at letters@harpers.org
Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts. But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second. The forces of illiberalism are gaining strength throughout the world and have a powerful ally in Donald Trump, who represents a real threat to democracy. But resistance must not be allowed to harden into its own brand of dogma or coercion—which right-wing demagogues are already exploiting. The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.
The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted. While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty. We uphold the value of robust and even caustic counter-speech from all quarters. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought. More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.
This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time. The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other. As writers we need a culture that leaves us room for experimentation, risk taking, and even mistakes. We need to preserve the possibility of good-faith disagreement without dire professional consequences. If we won’t defend the very thing on which our work depends, we shouldn’t expect the public or the state to defend it for us.
Elliot Ackerman
Saladin Ambar, Rutgers University
Martin Amis
Anne Applebaum
Marie Arana, author
Margaret Atwood
John Banville
Mia Bay, historian
Louis Begley, writer
Roger Berkowitz, Bard College
Paul Berman, writer
Sheri Berman, Barnard College
Reginald Dwayne Betts, poet
Neil Blair, agent
David W. Blight, Yale University
Jennifer Finney Boylan, author
David Bromwich
David Brooks, columnist
Ian Buruma, Bard College
Lea Carpenter
Noam Chomsky, MIT (emeritus)
Nicholas A. Christakis, Yale University
Roger Cohen, writer
Ambassador Frances D. Cook, ret.
Drucilla Cornell, Founder, uBuntu Project
Kamel Daoud
Meghan Daum, writer
Gerald Early, Washington University-St. Louis
Jeffrey Eugenides, writer
Dexter Filkins
Federico Finchelstein, The New School
Caitlin Flanagan
Richard T. Ford, Stanford Law School
Kmele Foster
David Frum, journalist
Francis Fukuyama, Stanford University
Atul Gawande, Harvard University
Todd Gitlin, Columbia University
Kim Ghattas
Malcolm Gladwell
Michelle Goldberg, columnist
Rebecca Goldstein, writer
Anthony Grafton, Princeton University
David Greenberg, Rutgers University
Linda Greenhouse
Rinne B. Groff, playwright
Sarah Haider, activist
Jonathan Haidt, NYU-Stern
Roya Hakakian, writer
Shadi Hamid, Brookings Institution
Jeet Heer, The Nation
Katie Herzog, podcast host
Susannah Heschel, Dartmouth College
Adam Hochschild, author
Arlie Russell Hochschild, author
Eva Hoffman, writer
Coleman Hughes, writer/Manhattan Institute
Hussein Ibish, Arab Gulf States Institute
Michael Ignatieff
Zaid Jilani, journalist
Bill T. Jones, New York Live Arts
Wendy Kaminer, writer
Matthew Karp, Princeton University
Garry Kasparov, Renew Democracy Initiative
Daniel Kehlmann, writer
Randall Kennedy
Khaled Khalifa, writer
Parag Khanna, author
Laura Kipnis, Northwestern University
Frances Kissling, Center for Health, Ethics, Social Policy
Enrique Krauze, historian
Anthony Kronman, Yale University
Joy Ladin, Yeshiva University
Nicholas Lemann, Columbia University
Mark Lilla, Columbia University
Susie Linfield, New York University
Damon Linker, writer
Dahlia Lithwick, Slate
Steven Lukes, New York University
John R. MacArthur, publisher, writer
Susan Madrak, writer
Phoebe Maltz Bovy
, writer
Greil Marcus
Wynton Marsalis, Jazz at Lincoln Center
Kati Marton, author
Debra Mashek, scholar
Deirdre McCloskey, University of Illinois at Chicago
John McWhorter, Columbia University
Uday Mehta, City University of New York
Andrew Moravcsik, Princeton University
Yascha Mounk, Persuasion
Samuel Moyn, Yale University
Meera Nanda, writer and teacher
Cary Nelson, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Olivia Nuzzi, New York Magazine
Mark Oppenheimer, Yale University
Dael Orlandersmith, writer/performer
George Packer
Nell Irvin Painter, Princeton University (emerita)
Greg Pardlo, Rutgers University – Camden
Orlando Patterson, Harvard University
Steven Pinker, Harvard University
Letty Cottin Pogrebin
Katha Pollitt
, writer
Claire Bond Potter, The New School
Taufiq Rahim
Zia Haider Rahman, writer
Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen, University of Wisconsin
Jonathan Rauch, Brookings Institution/The Atlantic
Neil Roberts, political theorist
Melvin Rogers, Brown University
Kat Rosenfield, writer
Loretta J. Ross, Smith College
J.K. Rowling
Salman Rushdie, New York University
Karim Sadjadpour, Carnegie Endowment
Daryl Michael Scott, Howard University
Diana Senechal, teacher and writer
Jennifer Senior, columnist
Judith Shulevitz, writer
Jesse Singal, journalist
Anne-Marie Slaughter
Andrew Solomon, writer
Deborah Solomon, critic and biographer
Allison Stanger, Middlebury College
Paul Starr, American Prospect/Princeton University
Wendell Steavenson, writer
Gloria Steinem, writer and activist
Nadine Strossen, New York Law School
Ronald S. Sullivan Jr., Harvard Law School
Kian Tajbakhsh, Columbia University
Zephyr Teachout, Fordham University
Cynthia Tucker, University of South Alabama
Adaner Usmani, Harvard University
Chloe Valdary
Helen Vendler, Harvard University
Judy B. Walzer
Michael Walzer
Eric K. Washington, historian
Caroline Weber, historian
Randi Weingarten, American Federation of Teachers
Bari Weiss
Sean Wilentz, Princeton University
Garry Wills
Thomas Chatterton Williams, writer
Robert F. Worth, journalist and author
Molly Worthen, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Matthew Yglesias
Emily Yoffe, journalist
Cathy Young, journalist
Fareed Zakaria

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 15th July 2020, 08:23 PM   #460773  /  #4
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
It's getting harder and harder to deny that radicals are attacking anyone who disagrees with...well, that's a bit tricky to define.

It looks like a religion - intersectionality or marxism or something...but it crowds more and more people into silence.

Do you follow any 'cancelled' celebreties? Bari Weiss just joined the ranks, quitting the New York Times due to being treated terribly for having opinions.

I've noticed several who have been 'cancelled', that are worth listening to, but that isn't really the point. Cancelling culture, whether an individual like Ms. Weiss, or a Sports Franchise's team name, is a show of force which makes people fear speaking out.

Cancel culture denies you the right to make up your own mind.

That's what Bari said. Did you check out other articles about her resignation?

Or being lazy as fuck again?

Yay from
borealis (16th July 2020)
Old 15th July 2020, 09:07 PM   #460774  /  #5
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Here is another viewpoint:

https://observer.com/2020/07/bari-we...s-free-speech

Now that said, I don't care one fuck about this issue. So, I am not going to do any more of your work for you.

I imagine you got her name off one of your favorite right wing boards, where they were lamenting her dismissal and whining about cancel culture.

But it is ALL free speech, both what the people are saying, and what the people reacting to them are saying. Voting with your dollars is a time honored thing in capitalism. Labeling it "cancel culture" is just a way to whine about people exercising their rights to disagree with you, and vote with their money.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/pop-cul...ancel-culture

Last edited by Zeluvia; 15th July 2020 at 09:10 PM.
Yay from
Old 16th July 2020, 01:25 AM   #460775  /  #6
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Now that said, I don't care one fuck about this issue. So, I am not going to do any more of your work for you.
What 'work'?

If you don't give a fuck, why pop in to say so? I mean, it's nice to hang, with you being so kind and thoughtful about this subject, but I don't get the long posts from you about something you don't care one fuck about...
Quote:
I imagine you got her name off one of your favorite right wing boards, where they were lamenting her dismissal and whining about cancel culture.
Not at first. I heard her interviewed at length, and forgot about her after. A bit interesting, but really 'establishment', so I didn't think much of her.

Until she publicly acknowledged the toxic intersectionality present in her workplace.

Quote:

But it is ALL free speech, both what the people are saying, and what the people reacting to them are saying. Voting with your dollars is a time honored thing in capitalism. Labeling it "cancel culture" is just a way to whine about people exercising their rights to disagree with you, and vote with their money.
I get it. You are happy to contradict Chomsky et al on the matter.

Maybe it is no big deal. Maybe all those 'cancelled' folks shouldn't have a platform anyway. It sure sounds like you either already disliked all of them, or the smear campaigns worked.

Quote:

Old 16th July 2020, 01:34 AM   #460776  /  #7
Cunt
Unregistered member

So the NYT has been shown to be crooked (thanks, Bari!) and now Twitter is under attack.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j...den-uber-bezos

It looks to me like more than some random hacker, it looks like serious corporate espionage, or worse. Funny stuff though, since some of the shitty things twitter was doing were denied, but are now pretty obvious.

Part of the reason I banned me from facebook was the way it pushed itself to be indispensable. Always trying to install messenger on my phone, linking many things through it's stuff. I stayed mostly off twitter for similar reasons. Now some government officials can't communicate in their customary way. I think those most affected are A.O.C. and Trump. Others might have more staked into their twitter accounts, but those two are famously tweetish.

Twitter should just cancel everyone who is acting up. I think it's mostly blue-checked accounts, and everyone could do without them anyway...

Quote:

Old 16th July 2020, 02:53 AM   #460777  /  #8
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

In the past, all the way back to Roman times, if you stood up in front of a group of people and said something they didn't like, they threw rotten things at you.

Only the names have changed, and the speed at which language and culture moves.

Yay from
Old 16th July 2020, 03:59 AM   #460778  /  #9
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
In the past, all the way back to Roman times, if you stood up in front of a group of people and said something they didn't like, they threw rotten things at you.

Only the names have changed, and the speed at which language and culture moves.
I think more than that has changed. Twitter is being outed for their part, as we speak.

Have you found a media smear that you strongly disagree with? Or are they all correct in your mind?

Quote:

Old 16th July 2020, 05:56 PM   #460784  /  #10
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Correct? You miss my point entirely, as usual. Human Nature. Do humans do "correct" things? What is the arbitrator of "correctness"? Isn't "correctness" a cultural value? Doesn't culture constantly change like language? So that would make "correctness" a moving target right? It's actually a pretty democratic thing, and has it's roots right in the free speech you love. It's rule by the speech of the majority, isn't it?

Try to look at the broad historical behavioral picture here instead of getting wrapped up in the emotional satisfaction of the specific issues.

BTW, I don't know if it's true, but I did hear that Bari Weiss tried to get two Muslim professors at Columbia fired for their opinions on Israel. So was the "cancel culture" she practiced if it is true any different?

Last edited by Zeluvia; 16th July 2020 at 05:59 PM.
Yay from
Old 16th July 2020, 06:34 PM   #460785  /  #11
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Correct? You miss my point entirely, as usual.
I doubt it, but our points do sail past each other at times.
Quote:
BTW, I don't know if it's true, but I did hear that Bari Weiss tried to get two Muslim professors at Columbia fired for their opinions on Israel. So was the "cancel culture" she practiced if it is true any different?
Probably. We ALL do 'cancel culture', the problem is that it is happening in such concentrated ways.

The reason I asked if you disagreed with any of the cancellations, is that if your favoured speaker were de-platformed, you might stop focusing on how everyone is just exercising 'free speech'.

They are not relevant.

The relevant part is that government used to be forbidden (in the US) to fuck up free speech, and social media, news media and some other corners have taken over so much of the public square, that they have government-like powers.

Twitter just showed it, with their 'hack' (or whatever happened) by their previously denied back-room handling of trends, shadow-banning and other stuff. It was obvious to me and why I didn't stake much on twitter.

The NYT had to backpedal for posting a 'Cotton' letter, but I don't remember anyone forcing them to back off on more controversial letters from their past.

I guess it's coming.

Quote:

Old 16th July 2020, 10:00 PM   #460790  /  #12
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

I don't have any favored speakers. I prefer to read and think over listening.

The government is still forbidden to stifle free speech. Private companies never have been required to provide free speech. For Profit media speech is just that, For Profit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Old 16th July 2020, 10:20 PM   #460792  /  #13
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Quote:
BTW, I don't know if it's true, but I did hear that Bari Weiss tried to get two Muslim professors at Columbia fired for their opinions on Israel.
Pretty sure what you heard or think you heard was mindreading loserthink
by either or both of you or the source from which you heard.
- Weiss made claims of intimidation of herself/students by professors
- A committee at Columbia found one credible intimidation claim, but
no evidence of anti-Semitic statements by faculty.

Where is "tried to fire" in that? You're mindreading and loserthink don't fly.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:20 AM   #460794  /  #14
Jerome
Life is just a bowl of cherries

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Pleasant Living
Quote:
Voting with your dollars is a time honored thing in capitalism.

That is a tenet of communism for the take over of a society/culture.

See, there is no free market in America any longer. We have government backed monopolies.

Look at what is happening with this virus thing for the final blow in the scheme: the big players are allowed to stay open, get fat cash from government, and the mom and pop, working their whole lives are taken out. The market is given to the big players by government.

Currently the system is more fascist than communistic, but that is just quiviling over which side of the coin you are looking at.

So no, cancel culture is not the public reacting to bad business, it is monopolies consolidating their power.

Zel, when we were kids, just in the USA, there were something like 800 independent media outlets. Most cities had two newspapers, some had three, also three or four news TV stations...now, today, there are basically four companies that control 98% of all the media you have access to.

Btw, did you know COVID is causing a national coin shortage? ROTFLMFA
They are moving to digital currency. They need to tax your neighbor child $3 on the $10 you gave him to cut your grass.

Old 17th July 2020, 12:31 AM   #460795  /  #15
Jerome

Quote:
The government is still forbidden to stifle free speech. Private companies never have been required to provide free speech. For Profit media speech is just that, For Profit.

This is fascism at work. Good cop bad cop type scheme.

Government regulates 'profit' companies into monopolies, then uses then to do the dirt work.

Government and business are not to have such a relationship. Government is meant to be the fair arbitrator between business and the citizen, and between company and company.

People like yourself have spent decades begging government to regulate business, and what they did was set up a monopoly structure, a fascist structure.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:42 AM   #460796  /  #16
Jerome

Truth be told, your were told decades ago that this scheme would lead us here, but you consumed the feel good media playing your heart strings, save the whale, save the little black children in Africa....save the spotted owl...what ever, you ate it up.

They played you into supporting a fascist world government, NAY, they played you into begging for a fascist world government.

Advertising works.

Old 17th July 2020, 06:11 AM   #460813  /  #17
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
You do understand that some writers also speak, right?

Do you think listening to Sir Roger Penrose could be interesting? He speaks beautifully and has a sharp wit.

I prefer to listen to a lot of people, and try on their perspectives, when I can.

Quote:

The deals those private companies have made, with both government and users, are binding in some cases.

There have been shitty companies exerting influence this way for a long time, but I think some of the exploits are about to expire. They have protection in the US based on the fact that it is user-generated content. They have a loophole which allows them to remove illegal content, and expand their definition into blacklists and shadowbanning. If they get caught doing it, that protection gets removed, and they go from being a platform, to being a publisher. This would come with different responsibilities.

Quote:

Old 17th July 2020, 12:09 PM   #460825  /  #18
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Quote:
Voting with your dollars is a time honored thing in capitalism.

That is a tenet of communism for the take over of a society/culture.

See, there is no free market in America any longer. We have government backed monopolies.

Look at what is happening with this virus thing for the final blow in the scheme: the big players are allowed to stay open, get fat cash from government, and the mom and pop, working their whole lives are taken out. The market is given to the big players by government.

Currently the system is more fascist than communistic, but that is just quiviling over which side of the coin you are looking at.

So no, cancel culture is not the public reacting to bad business, it is monopolies consolidating their power.

Zel, when we were kids, just in the USA, there were something like 800 independent media outlets. Most cities had two newspapers, some had three, also three or four news TV stations...now, today, there are basically four companies that control 98% of all the media you have access to.

Btw, did you know COVID is causing a national coin shortage? ROTFLMFA
They are moving to digital currency. They need to tax your neighbor child $3 on the $10 you gave him to cut your grass.

Good to see you Jerome!

You are so right about the media, and the death of cash. Have you see the Chinese's new cashless apps?

Smart Phones are the Mark of the Devil. They track where you are, where you have been, who you communicate with, what you buy, and they even have cameras in them so you can record what your fellow citizens are doing. Studies have shown they lower IQ because you are constantly distracted. They inhibit your ability to remember, and to focus. And they offer access to platforms filled with misinformation and gossip.

Cunt is a prime example of someone completely distracted by bullshit!

If 50 years ago we would have been told we all would be required to carry a device that could do all that, we would have revolted.

Just look at the panic over 5G and the Chinese control of it. And yet here in the US, it is private companies that are profiting from all the data we give them for free, and use it to increase their power over government.

Have you been keeping up with Edward Snowden?

"My wife asked me why I was whispering at home I said I was worried that Mark Zuckerberg was listening, She laughed. I laughed. Alexa laughed. Siri laughed..We all laughed..."

I do agree that some people are using the pandemic to be very very evil.

Also when we were kids there were over 25,000 companies represented on the New York Stock Exchange, now there are about 5000. The average person did have stocks, mostly in the form of Union controlled pension plans, that were managed by over 100 different Unions, on a not for profit basis. That was replaced with 401k's that are in the main managed by 4 companies on a for profit basis. This is part of the reason the stock market is no longer any kind of economic indicator. The switch over removed any power from Unions to use investments to steer policy, further weakening the average worker.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 17th July 2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:21 PM   #460826  /  #19
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
Quote:
BTW, I don't know if it's true, but I did hear that Bari Weiss tried to get two Muslim professors at Columbia fired for their opinions on Israel.
Pretty sure what you heard or think you heard was mindreading loserthink
by either or both of you or the source from which you heard.
- Weiss made claims of intimidation of herself/students by professors
- A committee at Columbia found one credible intimidation claim, but
no evidence of anti-Semitic statements by faculty.

Where is "tried to fire" in that? You're mindreading and loserthink don't fly.

I said I heard it, and didn't bother to look into it, because I don't fucking care. It's a teapot tempest.

Old 17th July 2020, 12:25 PM   #460827  /  #20
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Truth be told, your were told decades ago that this scheme would lead us here, but you consumed the feel good media playing your heart strings, save the whale, save the little black children in Africa....save the spotted owl...what ever, you ate it up.

They played you into supporting a fascist world government, NAY, they played you into begging for a fascist world government.

Advertising works.

I don't think those things were part of it, TBH, Jerome. More distractions to make people feel good.

Allowing companies to consolidate, killing Unions, allowing corporations to buy government, allowing monopolies, destroying the investment and education opportunities for the average person, keeping wages low, reducing taxes on passive income, free trade agreements that allowed companies to go international cheaply, keeping zombie companies alive until they could be profited from, increasing the debt load of the average person, the increase of the use of "credit" reporting to control jobs and even interest rates; there were a lot of more serious ways that power moved in the last 50 years.

Much of what has been done violates most of the primary tenets of pure capitalism, the free hand of the market is now the oppressive hand of the corporate oligarchy.

But you can't call it fascism. In economic fascism, corporations exist to serve the state. It's not communism either, where the state owns the corporations. In our situation, the corporations control states, plural. It's a new animal. Global Corporatism.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 17th July 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:32 PM   #460829  /  #21
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
You do understand that some writers also speak, right?

Do you think listening to Sir Roger Penrose could be interesting? He speaks beautifully and has a sharp wit.

I prefer to listen to a lot of people, and try on their perspectives, when I can.

Quote:

The deals those private companies have made, with both government and users, are binding in some cases.

There have been shitty companies exerting influence this way for a long time, but I think some of the exploits are about to expire. They have protection in the US based on the fact that it is user-generated content. They have a loophole which allows them to remove illegal content, and expand their definition into blacklists and shadowbanning. If they get caught doing it, that protection gets removed, and they go from being a platform, to being a publisher. This would come with different responsibilities.

Not interested. Don't know who Sir Roger Penrose is. Don't care about this issue at all.

Old 17th July 2020, 02:35 PM   #460831  /  #22
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:

Not interested. Don't know who Sir Roger Penrose is. Don't care about this issue at all.
Yes, not at all interested, because you don't care about those who speak...

Either he or his dad invented the penrose triangle. Surely not important enough for you to waste your time with.

Quote:

Old 17th July 2020, 03:08 PM   #460834  /  #23
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Well it took me 5 seconds to find out that neither him or his son "invented" it. Once again your laziness shows. And your lack of intellectual curiosity. Listening to people speak is a great way for what they say to affect your emotions. It is harder to think critically about what they are saying when they are speaking live, but when you read you aren't suffused with the emotional connotations of their voice, and you can quickly go back and reference previous statements for inconsistencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_triangle

I don't get your point. There have been many, many people that have said many, many things, but very few of the things that have been said have been really important. And the majority of those who said important things are dead, and sometimes, we don't even find out that what someone said was important until decades or centuries after they said it. Because it was written down.

It's unlikely these future important things are on 4chan, or reddit, or twitter, or facebook.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 17th July 2020 at 03:10 PM.
Yay from
borealis (22nd July 2020)
Old 17th July 2020, 03:51 PM   #460836  /  #24
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Well it took me 5 seconds to find out that neither him or his son "invented" it. Once again your laziness shows. And your lack of intellectual curiosity. Listening to people speak is a great way for what they say to affect your emotions. It is harder to think critically about what they are saying when they are speaking live, but when you read you aren't suffused with the emotional connotations of their voice, and you can quickly go back and reference previous statements for inconsistencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_triangle
Well, Penrose wasn't the inventor, but even though some other schmo invented it - it is OWNED by Escher.

My point was that interesting people who write about significant stuff (Roger Penrose was significant enough to be granted a knighthood) also talk about interesting stuff.

The inventor wasn't the interesting thing to me, but the triangle was.

You just LOVE calling me lazy, but here you are, insisting VEHEMENTLY that you don't care about this stuff.

You care. Everyone cares. Talking about our ideas is deeper than your efforts to only read and think about things.

Reading is a shitty hack to substituted for talking. Likely a passing fad, that we will look on from the future with fondness, like candles, or news organizations.
Quote:

I don't get your point. There have been many, many people that have said many, many things, but very few of the things that have been said have been really important. And the majority of those who said important things are dead, and sometimes, we don't even find out that what someone said was important until decades or centuries after they said it. Because it was written down.
I get it. You ONLY read and think, never listening to things that might include feelings.

It's why you can't wrap your head around how awful it is that this happened to Bari (though she was also happy to wield 'cancel culture' when it suited her)
Quote:

It's unlikely these future important things are on 4chan, or reddit, or twitter, or facebook.
I do surf 4chan, but only for YLYL or the /fit/ board (their fitness information IS very solid - if you know how to read it)

As to reddit twitter or facebook...you might enjoy those platforms - I don't.

Social pressure being what it is, I prefer social spaces which don't filter things to suit a certain bias. It's bad enough that I do that to myself, without aggravating the situation by letting twitter do it.

If it looks like everyone around you hates Trump, you might fall into the error of voting for Biden (as an example). If, however, it looked like everyone loved Trump, you might be more critical in your assessment. (assuming that you dislike Trump as much as the media has pushed you to)

Lot's of people will be reluctant to say they support Trump, or oppose Biden, because of the VERY real cancel culture (have you noticed the current 'bean' tide because some corporate guy expressed support for Trump?)

Because of this, they don't talk it out with the people around them. For a lot of us (not YOU, I understand what you said, and what you aim for) talking about ideas is a big part of how we think them through.

Having a bunch of people silent would put the brakes on that. I guess if you think stopping conversation is good, that must look great. For me though, talking is a lot better than almost all the alternative ways of working out our differences.

Quote:

Old 17th July 2020, 11:06 PM   #460846  /  #25
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Barry Gib and Tom Jones are Knights.

I am not going to bother to discuss the American presidency with someone who has no horse in the race : )

Although I do believe your opinions in this are emotionally biased.

So, where did you hear the news about Weiss and Twitter? Answer me that? Why do your posts always seem to echo right wing talking points if you aren't getting them off some other site? Your obvious glee over Twitter being hacked, that looked like you got the information from somewhere else, that didn't have all the facts. The post asking about places where women are required to wear masks and school openings for example? And I can't believe you actually knew who Weiss was before she was "cancelled".

Yay from
borealis (22nd July 2020)

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics