Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

News, Sports & Politics Hello, good evening, and welcome...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2019, 01:19 PM   #446352  /  #5726
borealis
poikilothermic
 
borealis's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Quote:
My guess would be on social media platforms, but face to face arrests of people who say the wrong things are also happening...just not as vigourously.
Quote:
In the streets, when the people rise up and protest and riot for better treatment, better lives. That's when the gas and the sticks and the guns come out.

I don't know exactly what is happening in France, if that's what you mean. I have heard that it is also taking place in Alberta. This is a concern because of the people I love deeply, who are in Alberta, but also because I'm travelling through there soon.
No, I was speaking much more generically than France or any protests being carried out right now. There is a long, worldwide history of state ordered or sanctioned violence against the people when they rise up, because governments understand physical protest is the strongest demonstration of free speech.

The noise to signal ratio on social media public platforms imo makes them almost useless for broad communication. Real speech takes place primarily in more private closed communication spaces - so not speech available to all listeners, just the pre-approved few.
__________________
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 31st March 2019, 05:40 PM   #446353  /  #5727
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Quote:
My guess would be on social media platforms, but face to face arrests of people who say the wrong things are also happening...just not as vigourously.
Quote:
In the streets, when the people rise up and protest and riot for better treatment, better lives. That's when the gas and the sticks and the guns come out.

I don't know exactly what is happening in France, if that's what you mean. I have heard that it is also taking place in Alberta. This is a concern because of the people I love deeply, who are in Alberta, but also because I'm travelling through there soon.
No, I was speaking much more generically than France or any protests being carried out right now. There is a long, worldwide history of state ordered or sanctioned violence against the people when they rise up, because governments understand physical protest is the strongest demonstration of free speech.

The noise to signal ratio on social media public platforms imo makes them almost useless for broad communication. Real speech takes place primarily in more private closed communication spaces - so not speech available to all listeners, just the pre-approved few.
I guess that's why I actively seek out opposing viewpoints, and why so many of my fellow lefties think I'm a rightie.

There simply isn't free speech. Mindromp is VERY close to an ideal, but only for us. Well, only for some of us. Everyone IS free to read what they want here though, and that is a rare treat.
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:46 PM   #446455  /  #5728
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
I don't get your point about "promoting" stories. I don't know about the stories you are going on about endlessly. I don't know what "promoting" stories has to do with biases on Al Jazeera.
If you want to keep believing in the conspiracy theory of 'Russian Collusion', you are in opposition to the largest part of the media now. Well, now that the report has been issued.

Before that, it was only some sane people who were referring to it as a conspiracy theory.

Oh, and if you don't want to listen to Tim Pool, you might have a bit more respect for Al Jazeera's take on it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes...063518669.html

It was a rabid set of lies, promoted with heaps of money and a 'Super-PAC' called CNN
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:00 PM   #446457  /  #5729
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Cunt, I don't like Trump for so many other reasons.


I don't remember saying anything about 'believing' in the collusion theory. Did I? Because I don't remember making a decision on it yet. In fact I am waiting to read the Mueller report myself. Has it been released to the public?


But Mueller did put a few people in jail. So there is that.


I will say I absolutely agree with Trump's latest decision to cut off aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and I think he should have thrown Nicaragua under the bus with them.


I also agree with shutting the border to asylum seekers. The camps here in Texas are overflowing. This has nothing to do with a border wall, but with the US immigration policy, which needs to be fixed.


Trumps single minded focus on the wall is not addressing the real problem, which is our liberal asylum policy for children, which was designed for children fleeing violence, mostly from the drug wars. And most of our "aid" money goes to fund "security" forces that are government forces who are supposed to be fighting drugs, so we are contributing to the problem. Of course, that "aid" money is used to buy guns and equipment from US manufacturers, so there is that.


But these kids arriving at the border asking for asylum keep getting mixed up in people's minds with the kids that are already here and working and going to school. They are not the same groups. The "dreamers" should get a path to citizenship. Unaccompanied children should not automatically get asylum. Trump is right that they should be required to apply for asylum in their home countries.
__________________


Last edited by Zeluvia; 2nd April 2019 at 05:22 PM.
Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:44 PM   #446458  /  #5730
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Cunt, I don't like Trump for so many other reasons.


I don't remember saying anything about 'believing' in the collusion theory. Did I? Because I don't remember making a decision on it yet. In fact I am waiting to read the Mueller report myself. Has it been released to the public?
Of course, my apologies. I'm so used to people treating it like a respectable theory I assumed.

Well, my point is more about desperately trying to draw your attention to this media bias problem which Pool has been focusing on. It isn't just him, by far.

Quote:
I will say I absolutely agree with Trump's latest decision to cut off aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and I think he should have thrown Nicaragua under the bus with them.
I don't know.

It's not that I don't pay attention to world politics, it is more that I've been SO wrong sometimes, and mostly it's been the things I'm MOST sure of.

The piece that shook up my thinking lately, was that apparently (I'm not sure how to follow up the details effectively) one can enter Ecuador without papers, and a lot of people do, since from there, they can walk into the US.

A terrible, challenging walk, I'll give you that, but it has been a significant channel.

The Darian Gap, I think it is. I saw an account by a journalist who decided to travel it.
Quote:
I also agree with shutting the border to asylum seekers. The camps here in Texas are overflowing. This has nothing to do with a border wall, but with the US immigration policy, which needs to be fixed.
The best answer I've heard of (stoned musings of a beloved leftie pal) was to move the US border wall 1 mile north, then allow anyone who wishes, to 'prove' (meaning gardening) the unbordered land. If they do a good enough job (most of it is TOUGH to 'prove', presumably) then give them some on the north side.

If people just want in (rather than being willing to work in) then let them go to the gate.

Quote:
Trumps single minded focus on the wall is not addressing the real problem, which is our liberal asylum policy for children, which was designed for children fleeing violence, mostly from the drug wars. And most of our "aid" money goes to fund "security" forces that are government forces who are supposed to be fighting drugs, so we are contributing to the problem. Of course, that "aid" money is used to buy guns and equipment from US manufacturers, so there is that.
Yeah. Makes it tough as fuck to take a 'side' on any of it. Compassion and humanity remain constant though (and very exploitable)
Quote:
But these kids arriving at the border asking for asylum keep getting mixed up in people's minds with the kids that are already here and working and going to school. They are not the same groups. The "dreamers" should get a path to citizenship. Unaccompanied children should not automatically get asylum. Trump is right that they should be required to apply for asylum in their home countries.
I like the idea of not blocking people out, but even my best friends have to use my door, rather than a window or wall-hole.

Oh, and if he is right to cut aid to that list, may I ask why you didn't include Mexico? They seem to be allowing people to crash their border, too. Even in large, mounted columns...
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:00 PM   #446459  /  #5731
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
We give Mexico much less money and it is not in the same condition as the other four. Of course, we have been fucking around in the other four for decades, influencing elections, supporting dictators, running drugs ourselves to support other operations, and we haven't been fucking around in Mexico.


You didn't get it. You don't get it. These kids aren't sneaking across the border. They are coming through at normal border crossings asking for asylum. A wall doesn't do shit for that. If they cross illegally, they can't get asylum, and can be deported. So they don't.



The current wall doesn't even follow the actual border. There are people in Texas who actually LIVE south of the existing wall, because much of the area around the Rio Grande is a FLOOD plain, and you can't build a wall on that. In the desert areas, our people use the Rio Grande for water, and if you build a wall a mile north, how do the cattle get to the river to drink? In populated areas or places that are easy to cross, there are already walls.

Just imagine trying to build a wall to separate Alaska from Canada.


And here is another thing, we already give the Defense Department a HUGE piece of the Government pie, and we have more military bases on the Syrian border than we do on the Mexican border...why? Does that make any sense? Most of the military bases on the border are museums or historical sites, not active bases.


If it's such a crisis, why isn't our military... the department of DEFENSE ffs, patrolling the border? Why aren't there any BASES on the border?
__________________


Last edited by Zeluvia; 2nd April 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:13 PM   #446460  /  #5732
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
You see there is this game. The US gives countries "aid" money, and the countries turn around and buy military stuff from our military corporations. This has happened EVERYWHERE. It's a sneaky form of corporate welfare. Much of what the US does is corporate welfare in one form or another.
__________________

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (2nd April 2019)
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:54 PM   #446461  /  #5733
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
We give Mexico much less money and it is not in the same condition as the other four. Of course, we have been fucking around in the other four for decades, influencing elections, supporting dictators, running drugs ourselves to support other operations, and we haven't been fucking around in Mexico.
I'm not as confident as you, that the US hasn't been fucking around in Mexico.

Quote:
You didn't get it. You don't get it. These kids aren't sneaking across the border. They are coming through at normal border crossings asking for asylum. A wall doesn't do shit for that. If they cross illegally, they can't get asylum, and can be deported. So they don't.
People are using every means they can, when they want to sneak into the US. That southern channel is one I hadn't suspected, but I wasn't saying so to support having a wall.

I think the US voters chose a candidate who said he would build one, so there should be one.

Not sensible or anything, just 'the will of the republic' sort of hogwash.

Quote:
The current wall doesn't even follow the actual border. There are people in Texas who actually LIVE south of the existing wall, because much of the area around the Rio Grande is a FLOOD plain, and you can't build a wall on that. In the desert areas, our people use the Rio Grande for water, and if you build a wall a mile north, how do the cattle get to the river to drink? In populated areas or places that are easy to cross, there are already walls.

Just imagine trying to build a wall to separate Alaska from Canada.
There are such walls in the world. (doesn't mean it makes sense)
Quote:
And here is another thing, we already give the Defense Department a HUGE piece of the Government pie, and we have more military bases on the Syrian border than we do on the Mexican border...why? Does that make any sense? Most of the military bases on the border are museums or historical sites, not active bases.
I like the idea of patroling EVERYTHING with retired military. Give them something to do, which lets the community show they have value, and lets them walk.

It's the crazy hippie in me.
Quote:
If it's such a crisis, why isn't our military... the department of DEFENSE ffs, patrolling the border? Why aren't there any BASES on the border?
I think there is a HUGE problem with the US paying costs of illegal immigrants leaning on the health care, welfare and other systems. This is literally stealing opportunity from the poorest US citizens. Yes, those children/dreamers are decent people, but if they are here illegally, and taking a seat in a classroom from someone who is here legally, which children are you hoping to prioritize.

Whatever the answer is, is likely to be ugly to at least some children.
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:01 PM   #446464  /  #5734
Prince Humperdinck
Join Date: Aug 2015
 
Prince Humperdinck's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: 'Murica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
I think the US voters chose a candidate who said he would build one, so there should be one.

Not sensible or anything, just 'the will of the republic' sort of hogwash.
Well the electoral college, not really the voters or the republic.

He also promised to replace ObamaCare with something better, but he just punted that until after 2020.

Oh yeah, and the voters elected a House to oppose trump fairly recently so there's that.
__________________
Over 4,300 posts

Last edited by Prince Humperdinck; 2nd April 2019 at 11:04 PM.
Prince Humperdinck is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (3rd April 2019), nostrum (3rd April 2019)
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:23 AM   #446465  /  #5735
borealis
poikilothermic
 
borealis's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
And one of his 'spokes-people' just referred to Puerto Rico as 'that country' - complaining about mismanagement of aid there. Not the first time and why the hell don't Americans even know that PR is part of the US?
__________________
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
nostrum (3rd April 2019)
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:53 AM   #446468  /  #5736
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
I think there is a HUGE problem with the US paying costs of illegal immigrants leaning on the health care, welfare and other systems. This is literally stealing opportunity from the poorest US citizens. Yes, those children/dreamers are decent people, but if they are here illegally, and taking a seat in a classroom from someone who is here legally, which children are you hoping to prioritize.

Whatever the answer is, is likely to be ugly to at least some children.

Illegal immigrants don't get welfare, they don't get food stamps. They don't get Medicaid. Just ask rachmarie how often she has to prove she is a citizen to get services. They do get healthcare, but only in emergency rooms, and if they survive the emergency rooms we take them too, which are usually city or county run and not corporate emergency rooms, they get deported. They don't get social security, although some DO pay taxes, usually on a faked or stolen social security number, and that is handled by their employers.

Children seeking asylum are a different story. They get sent to camps. They get some healthcare and food. And clothes.

Americans are used to campaign promises being broken. Trump's original promise was that Mexico would pay for it. So that really isn't a mandate for the wall.

If you want to know what I think now, I think the whole Mueller investigation was an axe TPTB held over Trump's head to keep him in line. I think they have a new axe, maybe the Democratic House or the next election to hold over his head.

So all the noise about who said what about the investigation is just that: noise that misses the mark.



I don't think Trump was Supposed to be President. I don't think Obama was either. I think those were the first two that weren't supposed to happen, like Brexit.



Now I don't believe in a deep state. I believe in a corporate oligarchy, but I think there are long fingers to that oligarchy, and it does have fingers in the government.



I think that is why he changes his mind so often. He might even be getting told what to do through Fox and Friends.



Welcome to the next level!


__________________


Last edited by Zeluvia; 3rd April 2019 at 01:00 AM.
Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:11 AM   #446474  /  #5737
MondoVman
Giant Member
 
MondoVman's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
"He might even be getting told what to do through Fox and Friends."

- More comedy gold.

"Uh, is Mr. Trump available? Great! Tell him to say all Dems are idiots. TIA"
__________________
Never see them let you sweat!
Online dating is less painful than playing mafia.
MondoVman is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:21 AM   #446475  /  #5738
ffejrxx
Networking Nut
 
ffejrxx's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
- More comedy orange.
ftfy
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
...these people are idiots.
ffejrxx is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
nostrum (3rd April 2019)
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:23 AM   #446476  /  #5739
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Humperdinck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
I think the US voters chose a candidate who said he would build one, so there should be one.

Not sensible or anything, just 'the will of the republic' sort of hogwash.
Well the electoral college, not really the voters or the republic.

He also promised to replace ObamaCare with something better, but he just punted that until after 2020.

Oh yeah, and the voters elected a House to oppose trump fairly recently so there's that.
I think it's because he didn't deliver on 'the wall'.

Probably because he can't deliver on 'the wall'. Or he already has, depending on the wind.
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:58 AM   #446480  /  #5740
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
"He might even be getting told what to do through Fox and Friends."

- More comedy gold.

"Uh, is Mr. Trump available? Great! Tell him to say all Dems are idiots. TIA"

I am a registered Republican Mondo.
__________________

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:51 AM   #446481  /  #5741
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
"He might even be getting told what to do through Fox and Friends."

- More comedy gold.

"Uh, is Mr. Trump available? Great! Tell him to say all Dems are idiots. TIA"

I am a registered Republican Mondo.
Why would you not register for both (all?) parties? If I were in a 2-party system like it seems to be in the US, I would want both to think they had my support, and neither to EVER know for sure. To that end I would be a card carrying republican and democrat, and I would be active in choosing the leadership for both.

I mean, if I wasn't a lazy fuck...which I kind of am, now that I look down at you from my imaginary horse.

Here, have a pretty flower picture, by way of apology.

Spoiler
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:46 AM   #446482  /  #5742
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Because you can't. You have to pick a party in order to vote in the primary of that party.


Independent voters don't vote in primaries. The smaller parties like Libertarian and Green don't have primaries.


The system really does suck.
__________________

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:29 PM   #446483  /  #5743
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Because you can't. You have to pick a party in order to vote in the primary of that party.


Independent voters don't vote in primaries. The smaller parties like Libertarian and Green don't have primaries.


The system really does suck.
How would they know if you picked both?

...and which would have a greater effect...voting a buffoon into your opponents party, or a genius into yours?
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:12 PM   #446484  /  #5744
borealis
poikilothermic
 
borealis's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
You're talking about a country that recently sentenced a woman to 5 years in prison for illegally voting when she thought erroneously that she did have the right to vote. Cunt.

I imagine being caught voting in both primaries might be severely frowned on. The US has a pretty draconian justice system.
__________________
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:30 PM   #446485  /  #5745
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
You're talking about a country that recently sentenced a woman to 5 years in prison for illegally voting when she thought erroneously that she did have the right to vote. Cunt.

I imagine being caught voting in both primaries might be severely frowned on. The US has a pretty draconian justice system.
I can't imagine why...

The support for my parties is contingent on their performance in the shallowest part of my memory. If Trudeau's Liberals, as an example, make a public mockery of India (Trudeau didn't just dress like an asshole, he also invited the wrong guy to dinner) he and they can lose my support for some time.

If the NDP get into power, and become a disaster (like Alberta has become for many in the working class) then they lose my support as well.

The PC's haven't fucked it up as recently, so they might have a better chance.

If I were in the US, I would be wondering who the GOP was going to put forward other than Trump (can that even happen?) because he hasn't done what he said.

He DID survive the Russian Collusion conspiracy theory, but that isn't an accomplishment. He promised a wall, and isn't doing it. He has been great fun embarrassing some of the Democrats (they are truly horrible cartoon characters, so it wasn't too tough) but that isn't exactly a tall order either.

I wish we could get more info about what started the YEARS long, wasted investigation. There are STILL reporters, and even a senator (Schiff?) insisting that they have EVIDENCE OF COLLUSION. Either that senator is lying, which sounds like criminal / treasonous behaviour to me, or that senator is telling the truth, but didn't pass along his evidence to the proper authorities, which sounds like politicking, which is almost as objectionable.
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 04:33 PM   #446486  /  #5746
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
You're talking about a country that recently sentenced a woman to 5 years in prison for illegally voting when she thought erroneously that she did have the right to vote. Cunt.
I don't know the story, but I'm sure it was trotted out as an 'edge case' to sow outrage.

Why not approach it this way - what should the penalty be for interfering in an election this way?

Oh, and in criminal or indictable offenses, I don't think 'I didn't mean to' is a defense that will get you anywhere.

There is a LOT of disagreement about whether illegal aliens are voting or not. Some even insist that they aren't a burden on social services, citing examples of people having a tough time getting their support as citizens.

If that were true, then where would 'Sanctuary Cities' get their cheap labour? I mean, isn't that why they ARE sanctuary cities? To maintain a very cheap labour force?
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:05 PM   #446487  /  #5747
borealis
poikilothermic
 
borealis's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
You're talking about a country that recently sentenced a woman to 5 years in prison for illegally voting when she thought erroneously that she did have the right to vote. Cunt.
I don't know the story, but I'm sure it was trotted out as an 'edge case' to sow outrage.

Why not approach it this way - what should the penalty be for interfering in an election this way?

Oh, and in criminal or indictable offenses, I don't think 'I didn't mean to' is a defense that will get you anywhere.

There is a LOT of disagreement about whether illegal aliens are voting or not. Some even insist that they aren't a burden on social services, citing examples of people having a tough time getting their support as citizens.

If that were true, then where would 'Sanctuary Cities' get their cheap labour? I mean, isn't that why they ARE sanctuary cities? To maintain a very cheap labour force?
Quote:
I don't know the story, but I'm sure it was trotted out as an 'edge case' to sow outrage.
Why are you 'sure' of that? You kind of do this often, Cunt, just assume shit and dismiss the other person's understanding.

Also you immediately shifted to 'illegal aliens voting', without so much as wondering if that was the case.

The woman was a citizen, but a convicted felon:

Quote:
Mason, 43, is a convicted felon. She was previously convicted for committing tax fraud for clients through her tax preparation business.
And by casting a ballot – even a provisional one — in the general election, she had broken a state law that prohibited residents from voting until their sentences have been fully served. That includes parole, probation or supervision.
Mason had been on a supervised release after spending three years in prison. For a time, she was even working for the state of Texas, St. John says.

Politics
Should It Be Easier To Vote? Americans Are Deeply Divided By Party
On Wednesday, she was sentenced to five years for voting illegally. She contends that she was never informed of the state's voting restrictions on felons.
"She didn't understand!" St. John said. "She was never told she couldn't vote. Not by a district judge. Not by anyone at the half-way house where she lived after she got out. Not by the probation officer."
But Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney Sharen Wilson said in a statement that despite "multiple safeguards in place," Mason "still made that choice."
According to a CNN report, "She signed and affirmed a document which clearly stated that (1) she was prohibited from voting due to her status as a convicted felon still serving her term of supervision, and (2) she would be committing a second degree felony if she lied about her status," Wilson said. "The judge found her guilty of illegal voting beyond a reasonable doubt."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...illegal-voting

So yes, she broke a law and is guilty even though she did not understand the law as it applied to her.

But my point was not whether she was guilty, but that US justice tends to be draconian (except for the rich) in many instances, because 5 years in prison for such an offence IS draconian.
__________________
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:18 PM   #446488  /  #5748
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs
 
Zeluvia's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
You're talking about a country that recently sentenced a woman to 5 years in prison for illegally voting when she thought erroneously that she did have the right to vote. Cunt.
I don't know the story, but I'm sure it was trotted out as an 'edge case' to sow outrage.

Why not approach it this way - what should the penalty be for interfering in an election this way?

Oh, and in criminal or indictable offenses, I don't think 'I didn't mean to' is a defense that will get you anywhere.

There is a LOT of disagreement about whether illegal aliens are voting or not. Some even insist that they aren't a burden on social services, citing examples of people having a tough time getting their support as citizens.

If that were true, then where would 'Sanctuary Cities' get their cheap labour? I mean, isn't that why they ARE sanctuary cities? To maintain a very cheap labour force?

You really don't know a lot. In the US, you have to register in a district to vote. You get a card of some kind, it varies by state. Your name and address go on to the rolls of the district, with your party choice. When you go to vote, the volunteers are supposed to check your name and address against the rolls. You have to go to the correct place to vote, in just my zip code there are 3 different polling places. If you aren't registered with one of the parties, you can't vote in the primaries at all.


Local elections are a bit different from Federal Elections. In Local Elections (State) you plain out and out can't vote if you aren't registered, period.



In order to register you have to have a ID, proof of citizenship, and an Address.



In Federal elections, you can cast a "Provisional" Ballot, which means you SHOULD be allowed to vote but your paperwork isn't correct or completed. But most provisional ballots AREN't Counted.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_ballot


I really don't see how illegals could possibly vote, and even if they did, their votes wouldn't count.
__________________

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:25 PM   #446489  /  #5749
Cunt
Unregistered member
 
Cunt's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
You're talking about a country that recently sentenced a woman to 5 years in prison for illegally voting when she thought erroneously that she did have the right to vote. Cunt.
I don't know the story, but I'm sure it was trotted out as an 'edge case' to sow outrage.

Why not approach it this way - what should the penalty be for interfering in an election this way?

Oh, and in criminal or indictable offenses, I don't think 'I didn't mean to' is a defense that will get you anywhere.

There is a LOT of disagreement about whether illegal aliens are voting or not. Some even insist that they aren't a burden on social services, citing examples of people having a tough time getting their support as citizens.

If that were true, then where would 'Sanctuary Cities' get their cheap labour? I mean, isn't that why they ARE sanctuary cities? To maintain a very cheap labour force?
Quote:
I don't know the story, but I'm sure it was trotted out as an 'edge case' to sow outrage.
Why are you 'sure' of that? You kind of do this often, Cunt, just assume shit and dismiss the other person's understanding.

Also you immediately shifted to 'illegal aliens voting', without so much as wondering if that was the case.

The woman was a citizen, but a convicted felon:

Quote:
Mason, 43, is a convicted felon. She was previously convicted for committing tax fraud for clients through her tax preparation business.
And by casting a ballot – even a provisional one — in the general election, she had broken a state law that prohibited residents from voting until their sentences have been fully served. That includes parole, probation or supervision.
Mason had been on a supervised release after spending three years in prison. For a time, she was even working for the state of Texas, St. John says.

Politics
Should It Be Easier To Vote? Americans Are Deeply Divided By Party
On Wednesday, she was sentenced to five years for voting illegally. She contends that she was never informed of the state's voting restrictions on felons.
"She didn't understand!" St. John said. "She was never told she couldn't vote. Not by a district judge. Not by anyone at the half-way house where she lived after she got out. Not by the probation officer."
But Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney Sharen Wilson said in a statement that despite "multiple safeguards in place," Mason "still made that choice."
According to a CNN report, "She signed and affirmed a document which clearly stated that (1) she was prohibited from voting due to her status as a convicted felon still serving her term of supervision, and (2) she would be committing a second degree felony if she lied about her status," Wilson said. "The judge found her guilty of illegal voting beyond a reasonable doubt."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...illegal-voting

So yes, she broke a law and is guilty even though she did not understand the law as it applied to her.

But my point was not whether she was guilty, but that US justice tends to be draconian (except for the rich) in many instances, because 5 years in prison for such an offence IS draconian.
You still haven't said what the sentence should be for that.

In Canada, I consider it my responsibility to know if, when and where I can vote.

Is it the citizens responsibility to understand the law in the US?

She broke the law. A judge sat and decided her sentence. If it is corrupt, then why would you assume there aren't a bunch of corruption in both directions? If you assume only lawful citizens vote lawfully, this is outrageous. If, however, you assume that people break the law and vote illegally, then this is one case out of - how many? What's your estimate on illegal voting?

Is it just this one case? Or is there reason to think there may be others?

http://www.capoliticalreview.com/cap...mit-they-vote

There are illegals using schools, highways, hospitals, sewer systems and every other public utility provided by their host. Why would you suppose it would stop there?

Illegal aliens are the new slave class. Leaving them with this shitty status is a way to make them second-class citizens in a country which pretends they don't have that.

I say kick them out, or make them legal, but allowing illegals to compete with citizens is a shit-show of KKK proportions.

Who could support that?
__________________
---------
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-Lenny Bruce

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:26 PM   #446490  /  #5750
borealis
poikilothermic
 
borealis's Avatar
 

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
We can just tick a box on our income tax return and a voting card with our polling place will be mailed to us. If something goes wrong and we don't get one, we can go to our poll the day of voting with id and a piece of mail with our address on it (bill, gov't mail, etc.), or we can simply call a neighbour to come to the desk and say yeah this person is so and so and lives at that address. We can also call the electoral office beforehand if we suspect a problem and they will attempt to sort it out.
__________________
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Reply

  MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

Tags
dumfuckithread, facetious wins, get a job, its ok just dont let it happen again, jerome owns this gay thread, no thanks, pencil, penis, penis penis penis, purple pulsating pillar of power, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile, sorry about that, spruce makes sense, this thread literally dehydrates you to death

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2011-2018 MindRomp.org