Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 2nd May 2019, 01:54 AM   #447555  /  #3676
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
And by the time shawarma made it to Nova Scotia, it spawned the donair:

Quote:
As the story goes, the Halifax donair was first invented in the 1970s by Peter Gamoulakos. Originally from Greece, he started selling Greek gyros (a pita stuffed with grilled lamb and tzatziki) from his restaurant located off the Bedford Highway. But the sandwich just didn’t jive with the East Coast’s “meat and potatoes” palate.
Swapping lamb for beef, the brothers whipped up a sweet “donair sauce” and tried again. This time, however, a feeding frenzy erupted and Halifax’s signature dish was born. The late-night favourite has become so popular that in 2015, Halifax city council voted to make it the city’s official food.
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/gre...alifax-donair

Which is usually beef, not lamb, is less spicy, but the sauce is high on the sweet-garlic-vinegar, is grilled on giant skewers and shaved as it cooks just like shawarma.

Currently the best donairs nearby are made by Lebanese shops.
Old 3rd May 2019, 05:40 AM   #447587  /  #3677
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Some middle eastern cuisines share quite a bit in common with Greek foods. The signature spices in Greek-influenced Lebanese cuisine are sumac and zaatar.
Did not know this, at all. I worked at a Greek restaurant. I don't think they used this.
I forget why I went looking (besides our discussion, and my curiosity that a Greek restaurant wouldn't have sumac in the kitchen), but a few days ago I was looking into Greek recipes that contain sumac (grilled meats and vegetables, mostly) and ran across a note that the migration of sumac actually went the opposite direction. Greek cooks adopted sumac from Middle Eastern cuisines, not the other way around.

I think whether a Greek restaurant would use sumac in their dishes would depend on the sorts of foods featured. If they serve gyros, shawarma, etc., they probably have sumac in the kitchen, and also likely have it in shakers on the tables.

And of course shawarmas originated in the Middle East. Greece adopted the dish and named their version gyros.

My favorite shawarma place grills the meats on big, fancy skewer-swords.

I bought some swords recently for the next time I grill something Greek, but they're not nearly as impressive looking as the ones the restaurant has.
Ah ok.

There seems to be quite a few small food places here, in Montreal, that serve a combination of Greek & Middle Eastern foods. Like you said, shawarmas, dolmades, but also things like chicken & gyro pitas.

The Greek restaurant that I worked at, was more like - lemon potatoes, homemade tzatziki (with high fat yogourt, a shitload of garlic and cucumber), also marinated chicken and pork skewers (I am actually not totally sure with what) - but Greek olive oil, probably some herbs & more lemon. They did spanakopita, taramasalata, homemade hummus. Gyros. Moussaka. The owner grew up in a small village in Greece.. can't quite remember the name of it. He was very Greek.

I really miss their food.. quite a lot. It felt so healthy to eat. Whenever I started my shift, I would give the owner $5 to make a plate of food, of whatever I wanted.

Last edited by Mantisdreamz; 3rd May 2019 at 05:43 AM.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 3rd May 2019, 05:42 AM   #447588  /  #3678
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
And by the time shawarma made it to Nova Scotia, it spawned the donair:

Quote:
As the story goes, the Halifax donair was first invented in the 1970s by Peter Gamoulakos. Originally from Greece, he started selling Greek gyros (a pita stuffed with grilled lamb and tzatziki) from his restaurant located off the Bedford Highway. But the sandwich just didn’t jive with the East Coast’s “meat and potatoes” palate.
Swapping lamb for beef, the brothers whipped up a sweet “donair sauce” and tried again. This time, however, a feeding frenzy erupted and Halifax’s signature dish was born. The late-night favourite has become so popular that in 2015, Halifax city council voted to make it the city’s official food.
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/gre...alifax-donair

Which is usually beef, not lamb, is less spicy, but the sauce is high on the sweet-garlic-vinegar, is grilled on giant skewers and shaved as it cooks just like shawarma.

Currently the best donairs nearby are made by Lebanese shops.
I find donairs to be a bit more fatty tasting, than gyro pitas.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
get a job, no-bake cheesecakes, oven 'fries', penis, penis penis penis, purple pulsating pillar of power, rectum? i nearly killed him