Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 16th October 2020, 08:07 AM   #463121  /  #4051
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Nothing overly special, just a bunch of trees
The camera didn't seem to quite pick up the colours.
This weekend I plan on going out again for an hour or so by myself, with the good camera and doing a bit of a jog on the 2km trail.

Spoiler

Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (16th October 2020), Cunt (16th October 2020), Zeluvia (16th October 2020)
Old 16th October 2020, 08:11 AM   #463122  /  #4052
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Gorgeous!

I love the framing on that first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 16th October 2020, 08:39 AM   #463125  /  #4053
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Gorgeous!

I love the framing on that first one.
Thanks!

I wish I could have captured it as I saw it! Because the lighting was just gorgeous and it was so nice looking out at the trees in that lighting. But, it's okay.
Old 16th October 2020, 03:33 PM   #463145  /  #4054
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Those are lovely pics, Mantis.

I took my third coffee out on the deck this morning because it is calm, sunny and mild. Got mesmerised watching leaves fall from the big maple right in front of the deck. Did a count for three minutes and it averaged 8 leaves per minute. Then a bluejay landed on a small branch and 11 leaves immediately took to the air.

I'm firmly approving of petunias as garden flowers after this year, and interested in the difference in plant longevity. The purple petunias were beautiful, but finished flowering several weeks ago. The white vining petunias have been putting on a very feeble show for the past two weeks, just a few tiny fragile blooms at the ends of dying stems. The plain red-pink petunias are dead. But the red and white striped ones are still fully green-leafed and flowering vigorously, having sprawled all over the little garden bed they occupy with a bunch of pansies. The only ones that successfully set seed though was the purple ones. The vining petunias had double flowers that were pretty impenetrable for most pollinating insects. Idk why the others didn't, except perhaps that they didn't have much scent whereas the purple ones had a very strong scent that travelled a long distance.

Still lots of fall wildflowers blooming away. There've been two mild frosts so far, but we are still having a lot of days with highs of 15, even 17 and 18, like today.
Old 16th October 2020, 05:35 PM   #463152  /  #4055
Mantisdreamz

^I was also pleasantly surprised by the petunias this year too. I've never planted them before, but planted just a few flowers into a large pot on the front step. They ended up growing like crazy and spread across the whole pot. It was the yellow and red striped ones. Looked very nice. They died about a week ago. It's been raining like crazy, and I think they just got water logged.

Another one that has been doing well, and is still doing well, is the potted begonias. I've noticed that there are some people that have planted them in their garden, and they just seem to spread and bloom like crazy. Looks gorgeous.. they seem to do really well here.

^these ones (pic from online)
Yay from
borealis (17th October 2020)
Old 17th October 2020, 05:23 PM   #463162  /  #4056
borealis
poikilothermic

I have some of those fibrous begonias too. In fact I overwintered them inside in a pot. I wasn't expecting much from them, since they were pretty wan and scraggly by spring, but in fact they grew like crazy and put on a great show. I'm going to try to keep them for another winter.

The best thing about petunias is they are among the cheapest annuals you can buy, and they're very rewarding. I now understand their popularity.

On the creative front, I'm close to finishing my first large format painted thing in a decade and feeling more confident as my skills return. This morning I finished painting all the breasts, wings, and tails of four hummingbirds that I outlined yesterday. Domestic realities keep limiting my time in the studio, which is a bit frustrating. Mr.b finished the most recent job a few weeks ago and has yet to settle into any kind of predictable routine, which means I get interrupted a lot. Hoping he works out his plans soon.
Old 18th October 2020, 12:59 AM   #463177  /  #4057
Mantisdreamz

Nice work. Any chance when it's all complete, you'll upload it and share it on here?

Well, if he's not busy, tell him to go make you a sandwich.

I think I'll try that with the begonias this year, in that case. Would be a nice little plant for the indoors too.
Old 24th October 2020, 11:21 AM   #463485  /  #4058
Mantisdreamz

We went for a hike the other day.. It was supposed to be a relatively easy one, but we kept on choosing the more difficult path. Just because, why not? Well, we ended up climbing up rocks and through streams - I sank in mud several times... my blue shoes ended up coming out completely brown, along with the bottoms of my jeans. It was an actual HIKE. And it was hard! The elevation was tough, but once we got to the top, it was pretty cool! We could see the city of Montreal in the distance, along with the other little towns around. The trees looked liked small little things. It was about 9km.

There were some people that were running and passing us! I don't know how they could have done it, at the elevation we were going at.. but they did.

I definitely want to do it again, and maybe see if we could pick up our pace. It took about 3-4 hours and a bit for the whole thing.
Yay from
borealis (24th October 2020), Cunt (24th October 2020), longhair75 (24th October 2020)
Old 24th October 2020, 06:15 PM   #463490  /  #4059
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
I definitely want to do it again, and maybe see if we could pick up our pace. It took about 3-4 hours and a bit for the whole thing.
Sounds beautiful!

One effective way to train for picking up your pace, is to do interval training. A little harder, then slower to recover.

One unexpected effect for me, is knowing that I'll recover. Lots of times, it feels like I CAN'T go on, but a few minutes of slow running or walking, and I'm good as new.

I know in my head that I'll recover, but while it's happening, it's easy to stop believing.

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 24th October 2020, 07:51 PM   #463503  /  #4060
borealis
poikilothermic

My good friend died wednesday. She was very old and lived a good life, had a multitude of friends. Went through the blitz in London as a child. Rode motorcycles in her teens. Married and moved to canada with a romantic dream of farming, and did that for a decade or so. Loved singing and her family and church.

She'll be buried with just family at the graveside tuesday. Makes me sad, thinking of the hundreds of people she helped through these rituals of death, a d none of us can do that for her family right now.

Perhaps in time.
Old 24th October 2020, 08:09 PM   #463506  /  #4061
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
My good friend died wednesday. She was very old and lived a good life, had a multitude of friends. Went through the blitz in London as a child. Rode motorcycles in her teens. Married and moved to canada with a romantic dream of farming, and did that for a decade or so. Loved singing and her family and church.

She'll be buried with just family at the graveside tuesday. Makes me sad, thinking of the hundreds of people she helped through these rituals of death, a d none of us can do that for her family right now.

Perhaps in time.
Sorry you can't celebrate her life in the usual way. Thanks for sharing her story.

Quote:

Yay from
borealis (24th October 2020)
Old 24th October 2020, 08:11 PM   #463507  /  #4062
longhair75
rose tints my world and keeps me safe

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
borealis (24th October 2020), Cunt (24th October 2020)
Old 24th October 2020, 10:52 PM   #463514  /  #4063
Mantisdreamz

Sorry to hear that, b. After this is all over you could definitely have a wake for her.
Yay from
borealis (25th October 2020)
Old 25th October 2020, 01:02 AM   #463519  /  #4064
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
I'm sorry, borealis. I've enjoyed your stories about her and I know you'll miss her, as well as missing the rituals that help us come to celebrate those we grieve for.
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (25th October 2020)
Old 17th November 2020, 11:08 PM   #463925  /  #4065
borealis
poikilothermic

there are still a few yellow hawkweed blooming on the lawn, and two eyebright plants out by the mailbox bravely flowering away.

Most of the leaves are gone, and the needles are falling from the tamaracks. Lots of red or deep yellow leaves left on the wild shrubs around, though, and the grass is still green, if shaggy and a bit dull from the absence of new qrowth.

A mystery bird has been singing in the woods. I have no idea what it is, sounds a bit robinish, but pitched higher and a different set of notes.

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
apology accepted, canadian lobster sucks, daves not home man, fuck off cunt, fucking cat, get a job, horse's handbrake, jack, mate, penis, penis penis penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile, sparrows