Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 11th June 2020, 05:56 AM   #460111  /  #376
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Just finished reading The Rosie Project, by Graeme Simsion. The narrator presumably has Asperger's and so the story is written from his perspective, in trying to find a mate/wife. Though it's a bit predictable, the narrative itself is pretty enjoyable and definitely a fun book to read.

There were some other books that I had read recently by the author Jeannette Walls - The Glass Castle, Half Broke Horses, and then The Silver Star.

Glass Castle is more like a memoir, of Jeanette Walls, and her experience growing up with parents that were pretty crazy, un-parent like.. let the kids run around, go without eating, moved from place to place, in equally dilapidated homes. Her siblings and herself, managed to rise above it and are all equally successful (except for 1). Recommended.

Half Broke Horses is actually a fictional autobiography of Jeannette Wall's grandmother.. who was long dead before she wrote this book - but her info came directly from her mother, and from her experiences with her, as a youth. Her grandmother had led a very interesting life, being a sort of matriarch figure and bending traditions. She was rough around the edges, in a good way.

^borealis, when I read that one, I was reminded of you. Thought that you might like this book, and could potentially relate. If you have the chance, check it out.

I'd say B, ob and Face may like this one.

Read the Silver Star by her, and while it's a decent little story, it doesn't stack up to the other 2 books. I still enjoyed it though. This one was a purely fictitious novel, and it had an ending that made you smile. It was kind of like reading a short story.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 11th June 2020, 06:03 AM   #460112  /  #377
Mantisdreamz

I think reading Glass Castle before Half Broke Horses might provide more info, and make Half Broke Horses a little bit more understandable, and relatable to read, having the reference. But it's not necessary
Old 11th June 2020, 06:40 AM   #460114  /  #378
Mantisdreamz

Next in line, I have Where the Crawdad's Sing, Delia Owens

My mom tells me it's good. We share books
Old 11th June 2020, 06:43 AM   #460115  /  #379
Mantisdreamz

nostrum, I think you might like Glass Castle I've noticed you've not been around. Hope you are well
Old 11th June 2020, 04:45 PM   #460128  /  #380
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
I'm a ways into 'Daniels' Running Formula' by Jack Daniels, PhD

It's been quite interesting, but challenging. I already know how to run, how to do running workouts, but stuff this guy has researched over the years goes DEEP.

The volumetric breathing calculations are optimized for runners, but I have a feeling anyone who needs to manage their breathing, either because of exertion or illness, might benefit from those.

He talks about how much oxygen exchange is available via different breathing patters, depth of breath etc.

Anyway, it goes into a lot more subjects. I'm enjoying it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 28th June 2020, 06:36 PM   #460388  /  #381
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Summer makes me happy.

Yesterday I saw a few bumblebees and quite a few butterflies of a stripey yellow variety and two kinds of dragonflies, one brown kind swarming in the yard, and the powder-blue tailed ones, also a few damselflies and in the evening a lone firefly signalling from the glass deck door.

Everything is luxuriantly green, all shades of green, and a hundred different shapes and sizes of wind-moved leaves provide a constant backdrop orchestra for birds and other wild noise-makers.

The wild flower succession continues: last week the rhodora finished up just as Labrador tea bloom began, and the rowans are budding up for the next wave. On the ground, starflower and goldthread give way to bunchberry as lady slippers mature. Blue eyed grass is blooming now, along with speedwell, buttercups, chickweeds, and soon, twinflowers.

Last week a catbird visited, ducks are breeding on the lake, the kingfisher is back, hummingbirds have discovered the cranesbill, there is a loud morning chorus dominated by robins and hermit thrush.

Walking into my driveway, as you see around the curve, all my little flower plots and hanging pots and containers of tomatoes and various annuals (among them fragrant deep purple petunias, pansies and a few spectacular giant marigolds) sit like pieces of decorative furniture on green lawns surrounded by fir, birch, poplar, maple and larch. My beach rose has begun to bloom, red and perfumed.

Yesterday also I found a tall stem of grass, the seedhead occupied by a mass of miniscule orbweaver spiders, so tiny I could barely make out any individuals. I went out a few hours later and saw they'd begun to disperse, slowly making their way down individual silk lines to the ground, like tiny gold beads.
Old 28th June 2020, 10:49 PM   #460394  /  #382
Facetious
normal boring cunty type of woman

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: it's grim up north
I started reading God Stalk by P C Hodgell, the first couple of chapters were ok but then the author suddenly starts flinging all these new characters at you and it's difficult to keep track of who is who. I gave up on it.

I'm now on a book called Darkwood by Gabby Hutchinson Crouch, so far it's a similar style to Discworld, tongue in cheek fantasy. Not terrible.
Facetious is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 1st July 2020, 09:15 PM   #460449  /  #383
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facetious View Post
I started reading God Stalk by P C Hodgell, the first couple of chapters were ok but then the author suddenly starts flinging all these new characters at you and it's difficult to keep track of who is who. I gave up on it.
waaaaaaaaat? I loved that book.
Old 7th July 2020, 01:49 AM   #460543  /  #384
Facetious
normal boring cunty type of woman

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: it's grim up north
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facetious View Post
waaaaaaaaat? I loved that book.

I just couldn't get in to it. It's quite a complex book and it's possible I'm just not in the right mind frame for it right now.
Facetious is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 7th July 2020, 07:19 AM   #460552  /  #385
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Summer makes me happy.

Yesterday I saw a few bumblebees and quite a few butterflies of a stripey yellow variety and two kinds of dragonflies, one brown kind swarming in the yard, and the powder-blue tailed ones, also a few damselflies and in the evening a lone firefly signalling from the glass deck door.

Everything is luxuriantly green, all shades of green, and a hundred different shapes and sizes of wind-moved leaves provide a constant backdrop orchestra for birds and other wild noise-makers.

The wild flower succession continues: last week the rhodora finished up just as Labrador tea bloom began, and the rowans are budding up for the next wave. On the ground, starflower and goldthread give way to bunchberry as lady slippers mature. Blue eyed grass is blooming now, along with speedwell, buttercups, chickweeds, and soon, twinflowers.

Last week a catbird visited, ducks are breeding on the lake, the kingfisher is back, hummingbirds have discovered the cranesbill, there is a loud morning chorus dominated by robins and hermit thrush.

Walking into my driveway, as you see around the curve, all my little flower plots and hanging pots and containers of tomatoes and various annuals (among them fragrant deep purple petunias, pansies and a few spectacular giant marigolds) sit like pieces of decorative furniture on green lawns surrounded by fir, birch, poplar, maple and larch. My beach rose has begun to bloom, red and perfumed.

Yesterday also I found a tall stem of grass, the seedhead occupied by a mass of miniscule orbweaver spiders, so tiny I could barely make out any individuals. I went out a few hours later and saw they'd begun to disperse, slowly making their way down individual silk lines to the ground, like tiny gold beads.
I think you might enjoy the book, Where the Crawdad's Sing. It's descriptive. You can tell that the author has a fondness for poetry. And it's revolved around a girl that lives in a marsh, and describes the wildlife that she see around her - in pretty great depths.

I haven't finished it just yet - I'm about 60% of the way through. I'm not sure how often you read... but, just a suggestion, just in case. Maybe I could send you the book

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
2+2=5, cheeses priced this thread, get a job, jörmungandr, lol, oceania has always been at war with eurasia, penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile, terf war, this thread