Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 16th July 2019, 04:02 PM   #449498  /  #3601
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Found it.
Old 16th July 2019, 05:31 PM   #449499  /  #3602
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel View Post
I've always been absolutely horrible at scanning.

When I suddenly found myself doing most of the shopping (at the end of 2013), I took Nixie (then 4 years old) with me, and she was able to spot things I was looking for in the stores.

I used to have a very good memory for where I put something. This was one of my ways of compensating for not being able to find things by scanning. But (a) that ability is fading away as I age, and (b) it has been nearly irrelevant since having a wife and kids, because things move around mysteriously.

Combine my inability to scan with Mrs D's severe dysnomia (and her mobility issues), and you have a recipe for comedy: I'm looking for something. I ask her where the thing is. She knows exactly, but can't find the words. "It's behind the ... the ... the ..." Meanwhile she can't easily get up from her chair to show me.
I know where the thing mr b is searching for is, but I also can't say it, because it is a visual impression held, apparently, only in visual memory and not verbal memory. He gets annoyed that I don't just tell him so he can find it himself, but I can't - I have to go look and retrieve it.

Making grocery lists for him to pick up sucks - I invariably forget things we need, whereas in the store I just scan the shelves and see what's needed.

I make my grocery list by aisle. After 30 years I HAD the store memorized. Then they remodeled and moved stuff around. Now I invariably forget something and have to go back, because I always forget the list !

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 16th July 2019, 05:33 PM   #449500  /  #3603
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Too easy, probably because it is smiling.

Yay from
gib (17th July 2019)
Old 17th July 2019, 02:41 AM   #449517  /  #3604
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Too easy, probably because it is smiling.

New game. Spot the bug.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This last one, I'm pretty sure it has a bug in it, but I can't see it.

Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (17th July 2019)
Old 19th July 2019, 03:58 AM   #449541  /  #3605
borealis
poikilothermic

Coyotes are singing across the lake tonight. My cat has decided it's a night too perfect to come in from, which happens 2 or 3 times every summer, on these warm calm still nights.

So i'm keeping the neighbourhood awake going out to call him every half hour.

ETA: He's home. 3 hours past his curfew.

ETA2: and now he's being all cuddly and purry and sucking up hard.

Last edited by borealis; 19th July 2019 at 04:37 AM.
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
nostrum (19th July 2019), Zeluvia (19th July 2019)
Old 19th July 2019, 07:45 AM   #449542  /  #3606
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
Useless coyotes
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (19th July 2019), Brother Daniel (19th July 2019)
Old 19th July 2019, 06:24 PM   #449545  /  #3607
borealis
poikilothermic

In their defense, coyotes have pretty much decimated the feral cat colonies, excepting the one maintained by fishermen along a wharf/fish sheds sea front. The cats act as pest control there, and coyotes don't seem to like salt water venues.

Also, as a result of their larger size here, they are rapidly becoming a significant population control for white tail deer.
Old 19th July 2019, 07:30 PM   #449546  /  #3608
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
In their defense, coyotes have pretty much decimated the feral cat colonies, excepting the one maintained by fishermen along a wharf/fish sheds sea front. The cats act as pest control there, and coyotes don't seem to like salt water venues.

Also, as a result of their larger size here, they are rapidly becoming a significant population control for white tail deer.
I don't know about modern fishermen, but the ones I remember presented special opposition to coyotes. Actually dogs too. Anything which fucked with business, in short.

Cat's get a pass for a few good reasons, but dogs only when attached to a proper human.

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 19th July 2019, 08:49 PM   #449548  /  #3609
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

I asked Homer which scared him more, the coyotes or the owl, and he said it was the owl.

Every night about 1am I open the windows and turn off the AC, and he sits in one of the windows. Occasionally something happens outside that freaks him out. While he will get nervous and upset if a coyote comes by, he absolutely freaks the fuck out if a Great Horned owl shows up.

He has the same reaction to Turkey Vultures. (I put rotten meat out for the Turkey Vultures during their migration, I like them, someone has to clean shit up, and they are fascinating)

It's like in his mind, birds shouldn't be allowed to be bigger than him.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 19th July 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 19th July 2019, 10:52 PM   #449550  /  #3610
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:

I don't know about modern fishermen, but the ones I remember presented special opposition to coyotes. Actually dogs too. Anything which fucked with business, in short.

Cat's get a pass for a few good reasons, but dogs only when attached to a proper human.
I'm surrounded by fishing villages and people who fish for a living. I hadn't noticed any particular animosity directed at canids or cats. Some of the ignorant ones used to curse seals a lot and occasionally fire shots at them.
Old 20th July 2019, 12:00 AM   #449554  /  #3611
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
It's like in his mind, birds shouldn't be allowed to be bigger than him.
A friend of mine out west lost a cat to an eagle. (Or knew someone who lost a cat to an eagle. Can't remember.)
Old 20th July 2019, 12:14 AM   #449556  /  #3612
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

I used to feed the birds right outside one of the windows. At night, the bird seed would draw mice and rats and other things (raccoons, ect). That would bring the Owl. I say THE owl because I think it was always the same one. He would land in the bush right outside the window, he was HUGE. His who who who call would echo in the house. As soon as he landed Homer was off like a shot to his spot in the closet.

It's summer now so I am not feeding the birds

During Turkey Vulture Time I would go to the meatmarket and ask for expired meat, and they would give it to me for free, mostly chicken, and I would throw it on top of the shed. It wouldn't take more than about 2 hours for the Turkey Vultures to show up, and less than an hour for them to finish off whatever was up there. Occasionally they would land on the patio, just having a look around, and that is when Homer would freak out and run away.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 20th July 2019 at 12:18 AM.
Yay from
borealis (20th July 2019)
Old 20th July 2019, 12:30 AM   #449560  /  #3613
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:

I'm surrounded by fishing villages and people who fish for a living. I hadn't noticed any particular animosity directed at canids or cats. Some of the ignorant ones used to curse seals a lot and occasionally fire shots at them.
When I was a kid, loose dogs or coyotes, anything that would chase a white-tail, actually. Fishing with my daughter once, she caught a seal. Bad time, man.

Quote:

Old 20th July 2019, 12:30 AM   #449561  /  #3614
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
I used to feed the birds right outside one of the windows. At night, the bird seed would draw mice and rats and other things (raccoons, ect). That would bring the Owl. I say THE owl because I think it was always the same one. He would land in the bush right outside the window, he was HUGE. His who who who call would echo in the house. As soon as he landed Homer was off like a shot to his spot in the closet.

It's summer now so I am not feeding the birds

During Turkey Vulture Time I would go to the meatmarket and ask for expired meat, and they would give it to me for free, mostly chicken, and I would throw it on top of the shed. It wouldn't take more than about 2 hours for the Turkey Vultures to show up, and less than an hour for them to finish off whatever was up there. Occasionally they would land on the patio, just having a look around, and that is when Homer would freak out and run away.
Birds are dinosaurs.

Quote:

Old 24th July 2019, 03:26 AM   #449624  /  #3615
borealis
poikilothermic

Tommy's been wary of large birds ever since one tried to carry him off.

Of course birds are dinosaurs. You only have to look at them.
Old 28th July 2019, 04:49 PM   #449705  /  #3616
borealis
poikilothermic

I need a botanist. or possibly a wildflower knowledgeable Brit because the plant in question might be a common roadside thing there.

It's a problem with very small plants; no one includes them in guides or photos, so it's difficult to identify them.

These little things showed up first last year, but only 3 or 4 of them. This year there are several dozen, growing solely in the fine gravel/hard dirt at the edge of my driveway, in full sun, among the pineapple weed and other itty bitty plant life.

The whole plant is 5 to 8 cm tall, the leaves are sparse, alternate, long and narrow, upright, sheathing the thin stem. 2 or 3 flowers branch alternately near the stem top, opening one after another. The flowers are tiny, less than .5 cm across, but they are a striking dark solid pink, star shaped, with five pointed petals around a tiny yellow/white centre.

Resembles this Utah flower, Centaurium calycosus and several other flowers in the Centaury family, none of which are native to Nova Scotia - that I know of:

Oh, and the flowers close every afternoon, long before sunset.
Old 28th July 2019, 09:29 PM   #449709  /  #3617
Cunt
Unregistered member

I've fumbled with an 'insect key' (to no avail - you need smarts I lack)

Have you considered a 'flower key' (there should be such a thing)

Or, an android app called picture this might help.

Quote:

Old 29th July 2019, 02:29 AM   #449710  /  #3618
borealis
poikilothermic

I am pretty good at using keys, but the keys are only as good as their database.

There are still thousands/millions of plants in the world that aren't even named other than genus name-unnamed species. Tiny insignificant plants sometimes get left out - I suspect this one might be a Centaury of some kind, but I can't find evidence for there being any in Nova Scotia. So it might be a foreigner, brought by birds or muddy truck tires or stuck in a wood pallet. Or it might be a native that no one's paid attention to.
Old 29th July 2019, 02:48 AM   #449711  /  #3619
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
I am pretty good at using keys, but the keys are only as good as their database.

There are still thousands/millions of plants in the world that aren't even named other than genus name-unnamed species. Tiny insignificant plants sometimes get left out - I suspect this one might be a Centaury of some kind, but I can't find evidence for there being any in Nova Scotia. So it might be a foreigner, brought by birds or muddy truck tires or stuck in a wood pallet. Or it might be a native that no one's paid attention to.
Have you considered photos? I know that skilled drawings are better for science, but we are just chatting here

Quote:

Yay from
borealis (30th July 2019)
Old 31st July 2019, 09:32 PM   #449752  /  #3620
borealis
poikilothermic

GAHHH!!

Aphids have attacked a small portion of my garden!

Specifically some of my nasturtiums, which means they are doing their job of decoying aphids away from food plants like tomatos.

I like my nasties though, so I spent some time removing super-infested leaves and soaking the area with dish detergent diluted with lots of water.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:02 PM   #449753  /  #3621
Cunt
Unregistered member

Anoles. Cheap and they are nearly sure to die off when the temperature drops.

Quote:

Old 1st August 2019, 06:00 AM   #449759  /  #3622
borealis
poikilothermic

Have an exercise for you, Cunt.

1. Lie down on your side.
2. Stretch backwards, stretching your arms and legs back.
3. Now curve forward, bringing your toes over your fingers.
4. Then turn your head sideways and go to sleep.

Of course, it helps if you're a cat. I just watched my cat do this.
Old 1st August 2019, 06:03 AM   #449760  /  #3623
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Have an exercise for you, Cunt.

1. Lie down on your side.
2. Stretch backwards, stretching your arms and legs back.
3. Now curve forward, bringing your toes over your fingers.
4. Then turn your head sideways and go to sleep.

Of course, it helps if you're a cat. I just watched my cat do this.
I've been doing a variant of this each night that I sleep on the floor.

A runner I was listening to has plugged the idea in my head that stopping using chairs might significantly improve my body. Using the floor to sit/lay down, and the work one does to get up and down, apparently improves mobility into old age.

Quote:

Old 3rd August 2019, 07:04 AM   #449803  /  #3624
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

cats invented yoga

Old 4th August 2019, 01:09 PM   #449827  /  #3625
OmicronPersei8
Declared candidate for Best Poster 2017 of the fuckin decade

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Gib's
Quote:
GAHHH!!

Aphids have attacked a small portion of my garden!

Specifically some of my nasturtiums, which means they are doing their job of decoying aphids away from food plants like tomatos.

I like my nasties though, so I spent some time removing super-infested leaves and soaking the area with dish detergent diluted with lots of water.

We have a weedy thistle that grows around, really pretty when it blooms actually, but I don't pull them when I see them for the same reason, aphids love them

Jerome: My mistake.
OmicronPersei8 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (5th August 2019)

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
apology accepted, canadian lobster sucks, daves not home man, fuck off cunt, fucking cat, get a job, horse's handbrake, jack, mate, penis, penis penis penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile, sparrows