Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

News, Sports & Politics Hello, good evening, and welcome...

Old 9th January 2020, 11:04 PM   #455391  /  #201
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Read science, not reddit and facebook opinions, cunt. Otherwise its tedious doing all your research for you. You're dismayingly like Dave Hawkins in that aspect sometimes.
Old 10th January 2020, 12:10 AM   #455392  /  #202
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
Sorry to divert even a tiny bit of attention away from the horrors occurring in Australia.

This article is about hope in the midst of fears, angers, regrets. Given the various climate-crisis driven rolling disasters in this world, it's almost scary to hope.

We really are asking a lot from gen z and beyond, and many alive and worried today won't live to see whether the hope is misplaced or spot on. As for the ones who are alive and not worried? I'm pretty sure it's mostly about lizard brains.

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/blo...climate-crisis

California is a strange study. Both heat-driven fires and the encroachment of a rising sea level are changing the shape of the state already.

https://medium.com/@theowlinthewood/...s-b746be710d24

borealis, you, too, have read and loved Always Coming Home. It's unsettling to see that great inland sea forming now in the Central Valley. Now, not at some indeterminate time between now and the 10s of thousands of years futurewards that is the setting of Le Guin's novel. The last couple of winters, I've driven over that sea's growing embryo. It's a seasonal thing for now.
oblivion is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (10th January 2020)
Old 10th January 2020, 12:23 AM   #455393  /  #203
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Read science, not reddit and facebook opinions, cunt. Otherwise its tedious doing all your research for you. You're dismayingly like Dave Hawkins in that aspect sometimes.
WHAT science? What is it you think I have wrong?

I think giving governments more money won't change the outcome appreciably. Is that somehow in dispute?

Or are you just assuming I have something vague wrong?

Am I supposed to agree that all these fires, even the arsons, are only available for comment if I end each statement with 'in the name of climate stasis - amen'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10th January 2020, 03:29 AM   #455401  /  #204
OmicronPersei8
Declared candidate for Best Poster 2017 of the fuckin decade

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Gib's
Quote:
That's, privilege for you

Jerome: My mistake.
OmicronPersei8 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10th January 2020, 04:39 AM   #455402  /  #205
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:

I think giving governments more money won't change the outcome appreciably. Is that somehow in dispute?

Am I supposed to agree that all these fires, even the arsons, are only available for comment if I end each statement with 'in the name of climate stasis - amen'?
Who says giving governments more money is what's wanted? No, governments giving more of our money to appropriate organisations and individuals might help, or governments reflecting the good of the people by passing useful and appropriate regulations. Doing nothing at all doesn't help. Are you suggesting we do nothing at all? Do you think climate change isn't really happening? Do you think humans have no part in it? WTF do you believe, because you make your self sound like some deluded fundy who thinks god controls everything.

Assume you have something wrong? You're dismissive, you quote or refer to denialists, you're making a big deal of 'arsonists' when you could be looking at the arsonists (however few or many) as being motivated by the extreme results of their mad efforts in the current conditions.

I went to school with a guy who grew up to be a firebug. He liked to burn down rural barns, old schoolhouses, church halls, empty houses. He chose empty places because they were more likely to burn to the ground before VFDs were alerted by someone. More flamey bang for his pyromanic buck.

You seem to be confusing causes and effects. It seems deliberate.
Old 10th January 2020, 05:34 PM   #455410  /  #206
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who says giving governments more money is what's wanted?
Paris accord, for one. Carbon taxes were rejected in several places because, even though it is an effort to save the world, lots of good people didn't agree that giving more cash to governments was the way forward.
Quote:
No, governments giving more of our money to appropriate organisations and individuals might help, or governments reflecting the good of the people by passing useful and appropriate regulations.
So more money to government.

Arguing with yourself doesn't really clarify your position for me, but I understand it is complicated.
Quote:
Doing nothing at all doesn't help.
I don't know anyone who does that.

I have heard lots of people accusing others of not doing enough, but almost everyone I know does things to 'save the earth', so I'm not sure who you mean here.

Quote:

Are you suggesting we do nothing at all?
Nope.
I'm suggesting that any action we take has to be reasonable, and agreed-upon without force (because force is a very expensive way to do anything)
Quote:
Do you think climate change isn't really happening?
That is one shit question, and not because of you.

Do I think climate change is happening? Yes.

Now can you stop pretending I don't think this? Or will you continue to treat me as if I don't agree?

Also, do you believe in...um...what's the opposite of 'climate change'? Is it 'climate stasis'? See how hard it is to see the opposite? It's because climate ALWAYS changes. This means that the description is intellectually bankrupt. Like Al Gore insisting that sea levels are rising, getting fat rich off the climate change tittie, then buying beachfront property.

It makes Leonardo Decaprio and Greta Thuneburg look like total idiots.

Quote:

Do you think humans have no part in it?
Of course they do.

Can you say how much of it is human caused, vs how much of it is just the continuing earth? Or would that make you a 'climate change denier'?

Quote:
WTF do you believe, because you make your self sound like some deluded fundy who thinks god controls everything.
No gods, no god.

What DO I believe? I believe that the superwealthy celebreties, media agencies and wealthiest politicians ALL support this idea that is best described in the childrens story 'Chicken Little'. Has done since I was a kid.

I also believe that there is very little agreement on what a given action will produce, as far as results. So if we give the UN another billion, what effect can they have on the temperature in 2030? One degree higher? One degree lower?

What is our return-per-billion with that gang?

One other belief I have is that many caring, hemp-wearing wealthy city-folk get in a panic to protect the remote reaches of Canada from development, but they all seem to live in oil-fuelled, highly developed areas?

#remediatevancouverfirst

Quote:

Assume you have something wrong? You're dismissive, you quote or refer to denialists, you're making a big deal of 'arsonists' when you could be looking at the arsonists (however few or many) as being motivated by the extreme results of their mad efforts in the current conditions.
I mentioned the birds, too.

If the arsonists (hundreds at last count) are 1% responsible, is it different from if the arsonists are 50% responsible?

Or is it only ok to blame 'climate change', instead of the tangible, clear examples?

Why would you refer to anyone as 'denialist'? Is it because you would like to label them? Or is it that, like me, you think they must be wrong but don't know where?

Forget them, I've answered your questions. Can you accept what I say, or will you wait for a pal to say 'bor', and walk away without making your point?

I get that what I say isn't popular, by the way, but ignoring the unpopular facts is why I find so much of the left hilariously unsatisfying. Look at our fearless leader, for example. Wouldn't you like to see his feet held to the fire a bit more? I would like to see him answering some reporters that his government isn't paying...
Quote:

I went to school with a guy who grew up to be a firebug. He liked to burn down rural barns, old schoolhouses, church halls, empty houses. He chose empty places because they were more likely to burn to the ground before VFDs were alerted by someone. More flamey bang for his pyromanic buck.
Lots of examples of humans causing fires out there. It's why I showed the bird example. Animals have behaviours, and fire use is one of ours.

There was a guy investigated in these incidents, who lit fires and then went and heroically helped people defend their homes.

Lots of arsonists go into work in firefighting. That gang are actually trained to watch for it, it's such an exciting place for a firebug to work.

So what is your point about arson? That it couldn't matter for some reason? Or that it is beneath our notice because it would draw attention away from the coveted 'climate change'?

Forest fires start because there is enough fuel, and the heat gets up high enough. Next year, even if 'climate change' makes it hotter, these burned areas will not have fuel left, so will be safe from it. Does that mean climate changed again? Or that the situation is more complicated that simply blaming Chinese carbon?

Birds are grabbing burning sticks and dropping them in new areas to burn out more prey. They are suspected to have learned this behavior from hunting the edges of burns.

Humans are firebugs, at least a significant percentage of them. If all of them (or NONE of them) claim in court that they were shilling for the climate change lobby, it wouldn't change the amount burned, or the amount available to be burnt. That is dictated by the amount of dry fuel, and simply waits for a spark to start it.

Do fires work differently in your area?

But really, why not tell me what 'climate change' isn't. If Greta got a magic wand, and repaired the climate, would it then stay static? Or is 'climate fixing' more fantasy than 'climate change'?

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 10th January 2020, 06:52 PM   #455414  /  #207
borealis
poikilothermic

Here's an example of what I mean. You gobbled up and passed on the 'arsonists' claim, implying that was a major concern wrt the bushfires. You failed to look further, accepting without question that it was an accurate and unbiased report from Australian media that is owned by Rupert Murdoch, a controversial figure you must have heard of.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...coverage-email
Old 10th January 2020, 07:07 PM   #455416  /  #208
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Here's an example of what I mean. You gobbled up and passed on the 'arsonists' claim, implying that was a major concern wrt the bushfires. You failed to look further, accepting without question that it was an accurate and unbiased report from Australian media that is owned by Rupert Murdoch, a controversial figure you must have heard of.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...coverage-email
I 'passed on' the claim because it is TRUE. Humans burn shit, sometimes criminally.

I did ask what percentage was arson vs climate change, but that must be an uncomfortable question for you. I'll ignore all the questions I had that you ignored, and just consider your opinion represented by the Guardian.

Meanwhile, I'll consider teeny effects, like birds learning to start fires. Bigger effects, like humans WANTING FIRES to burn. LOTS of them, as is well documented and understood.

I'll also consider accumulation of fuel as the single most important factor. I would argue MUCH more important than 'climate change' or 'climate stasis'.

I'll check the Guardian for your opinion, since you have expressed none of your own personal thoughts on the matter.

Does blaming climate change help save the fuzzy little animals? Or does it just make people feel like part of the 'in crowd'?

Even better, if you can explain what measures would address climate change, in a way which would have a more significant impact than accumulation of fuel, I might understand what practical use those measures have.

Of course, you could just go back to claiming I am a 'denier', while not making any clear claims that I deny...

Quote:

Old 10th January 2020, 10:09 PM   #455435  /  #209
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
Quote:
That bullshit about planned burning comes up every time we have a bad fire season.
As does the bullshit about arson. It's a lie; less than 1% of the extent of the fires this season is attributable to arson. https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-...cause/11855022

Quote:
The Gospers Mountain "mega-blaze" and the Green Wattle Creek fire, which are both near Sydney, were ignited by lightning.

All the major blazes in the Snowy Mountains and South Coast which have taken hold since New Year's Eve were also started by lightning.
Regardless of how they started, they can't put them out. Yesterday was another bad day with 40-degree temperatures and a late wind change; the alpine fires in southeast NSW and northeast Victoria have now merged into another mega-fire covering over 600,000 hectares; that's 1.5 million acres. And the Green Wattle Creek mega-blaze west of Sydney is still burning.

Quote:
This is climate change and anyone who says otherwise, fucking wake up you enormous fuckwit
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10th January 2020, 10:13 PM   #455438  /  #210
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:

Regardless of how they started, they can't put them out.
This IS the relevant point. If you want to blame climate change, you have to blame it on growing so much fuel in the area.

Fires will happen, whether by arson, bird or lightning. Managing their damage is most economically done with controlled burns, I think.

Also, Alberta got a lot easier to manage once a bunch more roads were installed. You need access to do any kind of work (pre OR post)
Quote:
Yesterday was another bad day with 40-degree temperatures and a late wind change; the alpine fires in southeast NSW and northeast Victoria have now merged into another mega-fire covering over 600,000 hectares; that's 1.5 million acres. And the Green Wattle Creek mega-blaze west of Sydney is still burning.

Quote:
This is climate change and anyone who says otherwise, fucking wake up you enormous fuckwit
What is the goal of chanting climate change, and vulgar accusations?

If your Greta got her wand, would she just wave it and...what? Climate stasis?

Unless of course you blocked me again. In which case I don't mean to spoil your dramatic exit. Blog on.

Quote:

Old 10th January 2020, 10:31 PM   #455448  /  #211
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Textbook example of how the Murdoch press consciously lies, distorts and misrepresents to support its editorial line

Last edited by MSG; 10th January 2020 at 10:34 PM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10th January 2020, 10:42 PM   #455450  /  #212
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Textbook example of how the Murdoch press consciously lies, distorts and misrepresents to support its editorial line

My browser hides the twitter (and many other) links. Twitter must be seen as dangerous or something lol

Anyway, trust in mainstream news is plummeting, so it's weird that the big org's aren't at the BOTTOM of the respect list.

Independents can be just as stupid, but there is something a bit too convincing about all the different news channels repeating same themes, phrases and mistakes.

What is most disturbing, is when many sincere, caring people just spout 'CLIMATE CHANGE' and insist we can tax our way out of this. Their efforts would be far better spent showing their naughty bits on the internet.

Quote:

Old 14th January 2020, 08:29 AM   #455555  /  #213
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

2 good 2 b true https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...fires/11863942

Old 15th January 2020, 07:19 AM   #455565  /  #214
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...15-p53rom.html

Quote:
Desperate efforts by firefighters on the ground and in the air have saved the only known natural grove of the world-famous Wollemi pines from destruction during the record-breaking bushfires in NSW.

The rescue mission involved water-bombing aircraft and large air tankers dropping fire retardant. Helicopters also winched specialist firefighters into the remote gorge to set up an irrigation system to increase the moisture content of the ground fuels to slow the advance of any fire.
borealis (15th January 2020), Cunt (15th January 2020), longhair75 (15th January 2020), nostrum (15th January 2020), oblivion (15th January 2020)
Old 15th January 2020, 03:02 PM   #455567  /  #215
borealis
poikilothermic

These firefighters are heroic in every sense of the word.
Old 15th January 2020, 05:03 PM   #455570  /  #216
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
These firefighters are heroic in every sense of the word.
They are, but terribly ineffective. Next time there is a chance to take preventative action, such as backburns, I'll be thinking about this.

The only thing that can really set up a brushfire is accumulation of fuel. Nothing else can take off if that isn't in place. I wish there was a better way than just burning it away.

Quote:

Old 15th January 2020, 07:40 PM   #455571  /  #217
Imp
Inanimate bowl of pasta

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Waddle waddle
Quote:
I wish there was a better way than just burning it away.
Maybe doing something about global warming or something idk
Old 15th January 2020, 08:17 PM   #455575  /  #218
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
I wish there was a better way than just burning it away.
Maybe doing something about global warming or something idk
No matter the global temperature, accumulating fuel is going to be the one thing that stages brushfires.

If you fixed global warming, you could enjoy the perfect world you imagine, but if Greta can't change the weather for you by taxing, you might want to focus on dealing with the fuel accumulating in areas you don't want this happening.

Do you know how homes in the bush protect themselves? By clearing brush in a zone around the house, so there isn't enough fuel to bring a bushfire to the house and outbuildings. It's tough, expensive, and easy to ignore for a few years, or decades. Then there is a spark, and everyone is reminded that we can't put out big fires.

Quote:

Old 15th January 2020, 09:32 PM   #455578  /  #219
Imp
Inanimate bowl of pasta

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Waddle waddle
lol
Old 15th January 2020, 09:59 PM   #455579  /  #220
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
lol
If there is no accumulated fuel, it would be tough for climate activists to even get these fires started. I guess it would be useful to look at who opposes funding forest management...

Or, you could just keep insisting that climate change is the reason. Funny how that is indistinguishable from any other religion...

Quote:

Old 15th January 2020, 11:01 PM   #455581  /  #221
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...c9b04c36c54fd4 ($)

the more things change
Old 15th January 2020, 11:14 PM   #455582  /  #222
Cunt
Unregistered member

Is there a carbon-friendly way to remove the deadwood before it creates a wildfire hazard?

Or is it 'climate change denialism' to point out such difficult questions?

Quote:

Old 16th January 2020, 12:08 AM   #455583  /  #223
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

borealis (16th January 2020)
Old 18th January 2020, 01:00 AM   #455644  /  #224
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...17-p53say.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watson, Professor of Ecology at Charles Sturt University
]If until now you’ve harboured genuine reservations about this whole climate change issue, what have you learned? Those people who maintained that the science wasn’t settled, that those global models were dodgy. Who are these people? Are they scientists? Do they have vested interests in maintaining the status quo? Whatever their motivation, it is increasingly clear that their position is untenable. They were wrong. If you subscribed to their denialist views, then you were wrong too.
borealis (18th January 2020)
Old 18th January 2020, 01:13 AM   #455645  /  #225
Cunt
Unregistered member

If you deny the contribution of accumulated fuel to this issue of brushfires, you might be a climate alarmist.

Quote:

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics