Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

News, Sports & Politics Hello, good evening, and welcome...

Old 22nd November 2018, 08:50 AM   #440650  /  #1
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Really Pissed off...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/us/mi...hau/index.html

The sentinelese tribe are one of the last of the free people on earth. They are protected as they should be because they probably have no resistance to our diseases, which wiped out the populations of nearby islands.

This fucking crazy idiot who should have been in an institution for his insanity has put the tribe in jeopardy, they have had contact with him and buried his body, and the news outlets are being assholes about it, reporting it from the "Christian" perspective. Fuckers.

Kudos to the Indian government for protecting these people and for arresting the idiots that helped him.

I hope this doesn't spell disaster for those people. They survived the tsunami.

Missionaries should be outlawed and just kicked out of countries, they have never done any good.

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (22nd November 2018), Majiffy (22nd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018)
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:06 PM   #440654  /  #2
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Agreed. The man was a feckless idiot, and likely mentally ill besides his religious nuttery. He returned to the island twice after being shot the first time. Even the most fervent missionaries usually get the message in similar circumstances.
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:20 PM   #440655  /  #3
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
I fully expect others to try what he tried. Far from getting the message, such "martyrdom" is still seen as a high achievement among evangelical types.
Yay from
Facetious (24th November 2018), Majiffy (22nd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018), Zeluvia (22nd November 2018)
Old 22nd November 2018, 02:23 PM   #440656  /  #4
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Missionaries should be outlawed and just kicked out of countries, they have never done any good.
I'll agree that they don't have a net good effect, but "have never done ANY good" is a stronger claim than I would make.
Yay from
Majiffy (22nd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018)
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:19 PM   #440657  /  #5
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

San Antonio is full of missions. I stand by my claim they have never done any good.

Yay from
Majiffy (22nd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018)
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:25 PM   #440658  /  #6
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel View Post
I fully expect others to try what he tried. Far from getting the message, such "martyrdom" is still seen as a high achievement among evangelical types.

This is why I am angry. Instead of covering it as a misguided man breaking laws to possibly kill an ancient tribe, they are giving it the martyr treatment.

Yay from
Brother Daniel (22nd November 2018), Majiffy (22nd November 2018), MondoVman (22nd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018)
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:29 PM   #440660  /  #7
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Things turn ugly quickest when one focuses on a single variable (aka child framing).

One would be more correct stating that someone who does the most good the most times, themselves being imperfect, would merit acknowledgement of their good deeds.

ETA: Want to yay Zel's above post, but yay button isn't showing for me.
ETA 2: Now it is.

Last edited by MondoVman; 22nd November 2018 at 05:32 PM.
MondoVman is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:30 PM   #440661  /  #8
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Including an entire unique tribe of people in his martyrdom seems a bit over the top though. Just by their handling his clothing, his corpse, may have exposed them to a multitude of diseases to which they have no immunity.

I believe Jesus exhorted his disciples, if a village rejected them, to shake the dust from their feet and depart.
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:10 PM   #440662  /  #9
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Quote:
Including an entire unique tribe of people in his martyrdom seems a bit over the top though. Just by their handling his clothing, his corpse, may have exposed them to a multitude of diseases to which they have no immunity.
There's very little chance that such a possibility would have even crossed the minds of this missionary and his cheerleaders. Exposing the tribe to that sort of danger would surely have been unintentional.

I'll leave it to others to decide whether that is or isn't a significant mitigating factor in judging the guy's deeds. I'm too tired to figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis
I believe Jesus exhorted his disciples, if a village rejected them, to shake the dust from their feet and depart.
That wouldn't be the only thing that Jesus said that is ignored by many modern Christians. (Jesus was also pointedly against public prayer, for example.)
Yay from
rachmarie (24th November 2018)
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:45 PM   #440663  /  #10
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's very little chance that such a possibility would have even crossed the minds of this missionary and his cheerleaders. Exposing the tribe to that sort of danger would surely have been unintentional.

I'll leave it to others to decide whether that is or isn't a significant mitigating factor in judging the guy's deeds. I'm too tired to figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis
That wouldn't be the only thing that Jesus said that is ignored by many modern Christians. (Jesus was also pointedly against public prayer, for example.)

Bro D, going to the Island is very very illegal. They have been protected by the government of India for years. Partly because they kill people, and partly because disease has decimated the native populations of the other islands. He can't have been so stupid as not to know it was illegal, and the reasons it was illegal.

Old 22nd November 2018, 09:55 PM   #440664  /  #11
nostrum
too boring to be considered weird

is it being made that much of a media event over your way?
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:08 PM   #440665  /  #12
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Quote:
Bro D, going to the Island is very very illegal. They have been protected by the government of India for years. Partly because they kill people, and partly because disease has decimated the native populations of the other islands. He can't have been so stupid as not to know it was illegal, and the reasons it was illegal.
Oh, he would have known it was illegal, sure.

But "he can't have been so stupid" is a dangerous assumption with evangelicals. Regardless of what anyone told him about the reasons for it being illegal, he could well have convinced himself that the danger to the Sentinelese people was just fake news.
Yay from
Majiffy (22nd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018), SR71 (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:03 AM   #440667  /  #13
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Quote:

But "he can't have been so stupid" is a dangerous assumption with evangelicals. Regardless of what anyone told him about the reasons for it being illegal, he could well have convinced himself that the danger to the Sentinelese people was just fake news.

Maybe, but we have more details now. He had been in the general area trying to convert the other tribes (also protected but on Islands that have been "civilized" and live in protected areas) since 2015, had run afoul of the law before this because of his interference with the tribes, and the day before he was killed, they shot his bible with an arrow, which didn't stop him from going back.

Okay he was that stupid.

Old 23rd November 2018, 09:41 AM   #440671  /  #14
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nøyfb
excerpts from a long and interesting Twitter thread; click and read it

Spoiler

borealis (23rd November 2018), rachmarie (24th November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:19 PM   #440672  /  #15
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Thanks MSG, I knew all this, it's horrific.

Old 23rd November 2018, 04:16 PM   #440674  /  #16
borealis
poikilothermic

Just to further enrage Zeluvia…

Quote:
A group that focuses on Christian persecution says it’s “extremely concerned” about the death of John Chau, a missionary who illegally trespassed on a secluded island to preach to the locals about Christianity, and wants the tribes-people brought to justice.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacr...#disqus_thread

May need to scroll up to article.
Old 24th November 2018, 02:16 AM   #440682  /  #17
Facetious
normal boring cunty type of woman

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: it's grim up north
Quote:
Quote:

Or that he would have divine protection.

I hope the police investigate this very closely. Evangelical organisations do 'send' the naive and eager to very dangerous places as missionaries. If any good would come of this, let it be that it blows the lid off this horrendous practice.
Facetious is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 24th November 2018, 03:37 AM   #440685  /  #18
rachmarie
Equi-Feminist Extraordinaire

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
yeah I saw that too bor and uggh bad enough he may have exposed them to diseases that could kill them off, but to insist on punishing the tribe for protecting themselves because this one idjit thought the law did not matter when you have God on your side uggh

I hope the Indians stand firm and do not give into the pressure of the church of this missionary that died by breaking the law.

Is not a Jiffy alt sock
rachmarie is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 24th November 2018, 09:55 AM   #440687  /  #19
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Just to further enrage Zeluvia…

Quote:
A group that focuses on Christian persecution says it’s “extremely concerned” about the death of John Chau, a missionary who illegally trespassed on a secluded island to preach to the locals about Christianity, and wants the tribes-people brought to justice.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacr...#disqus_thread

May need to scroll up to article.

Thank you for your effort but I have moved on to the qatar vs saudi telenova

Yay from
borealis (24th November 2018), Majiffy (24th November 2018), rachmarie (2nd December 2018)
Old 1st December 2018, 09:15 PM   #440943  /  #20
Prince Humperdinck

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: 'Murica
I used y'all's in a sentence the other day. I think I'm becoming Texan.

faketa: I can't believe I've lived here a quarter of my life.
borealis (2nd December 2018), Majiffy (2nd December 2018), rachmarie (2nd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018, 12:31 AM   #440951  /  #21
nostrum
too boring to be considered weird

was it "..all, y'all" ?

just calibrating the shunninator 5000...
borealis (2nd December 2018), Majiffy (2nd December 2018), rachmarie (2nd December 2018), Zeluvia (2nd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018, 02:23 AM   #440958  /  #22
Majiffy
I'll have you know I'm popular on many web forums

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
Y'all's is the possessive of all yall

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd December 2018, 02:58 AM   #440960  /  #23
Prince Humperdinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum View Post
was it "..all, y'all" ?

just calibrating the shunninator 5000...
Nah, there were only 4 other people present so all y'all wasn't necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majiffy View Post
Y'all's is the possessive of all yall
Exactly. ... well y'all needs the apostrophe because it's a contraction, but y'all's is both a contraction and a possessive. My Texan wife and I had quite the discussion about this, she wanted it to be y'alls' which is pronounced "yah all ziziz" but that's clearly wrong because you don't need to pluralize all. She countered with James' (jame ziziz) but that's obviously different because James just happens to end with an S. But that has me wondering if y'alls is basically the same as y'all but it just happens to end with s.
Majiffy (3rd December 2018), Mantisdreamz (9th December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:06 AM   #440961  /  #24
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nøyfb
so what you're saying is, y'all is plural for up to 4, but any more than that and you need to say alla y'all

is this like when black american vernacular english assigns a different meaning to "he be workin' " (he's at work) and "he workin' " (he's got a job)

disclaimer: I got that from reading Steven Pinker and it's possible I have it backward
Mantisdreamz (9th December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018, 03:13 AM   #440962  /  #25
Prince Humperdinck

My dad (who grew up in Mississippi) claims that y'all can be singular but I still have a huge problem with that.

I have become a fan of "y'all two". When addressing a large group of people "I need all y'all to make sure to clean up at the end of your shift, and y'all two to lock the doors after everyone leaves."
Mantisdreamz (9th December 2018)

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

Tags
penis penis penis