Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 7th March 2020, 01:00 AM   #456542  /  #3776
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
We are getting snow tonight but yesterday I saw pussy willows just beginning to open along the road.
Old 7th March 2020, 01:11 AM   #456543  /  #3777
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
We are getting snow tonight but yesterday I saw pussy willows just beginning to open along the road.
I don't see anything like that, but if you care for filthy old ravens...

https://imgur.com/OQ8QZvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 17th March 2020, 01:17 PM   #456696  /  #3778
borealis
poikilothermic

It's -8 this morning, but at 7:00 a.m. the first song sparrow (that I've heard) was practicing his song among the fir trees. He hasn't quite got it down yet, not sure if it's two whistles or three at the start, then a trill, got that, then the final run of six notes, he can't quite get that number right.

Every year I've noticed this - the first returnee sparrows seem to need to hear other (maybe older?) birds in order to perfect their standard song.
Old 17th March 2020, 03:42 PM   #456700  /  #3779
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
It's -8 this morning, but at 7:00 a.m. the first song sparrow (that I've heard) was practicing his song among the fir trees. He hasn't quite got it down yet, not sure if it's two whistles or three at the start, then a trill, got that, then the final run of six notes, he can't quite get that number right.

Every year I've noticed this - the first returnee sparrows seem to need to hear other (maybe older?) birds in order to perfect their standard song.
I used audio software to chop up bird songs (stolen from my Smithsonian Bird Book CD) which I use for various notifications.

I didn't know how to do it when I started, but for YEARS, it has made me pretty happy with my phone. Especially compared to dinging.

Side note - there is almost nothing more interruptive than a duck-frenzy going off during a conversation.

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Yay from
borealis (18th March 2020)
Old 17th March 2020, 03:43 PM   #456701  /  #3780
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:

Not just the pattern of the notes. I'm sure that (for some species at least) they pay attention to the pitch.

I spent 7 or 8 weeks somewhere near oblivion's neighborhood back in '88, and I noticed that there was some sort of bird (maybe something boring like a pigeon) whose calls went like this: Start on F# and slide down a major 3rd to D, then hit that same D note twice.

They were all in the same key, so they had to be listening-to/imitating each other.

And then, near the end of my stay there, there was one bird with the same call in the same pattern (and same timbre and everything), but in a different key: E major instead of D major.

Question: Was this one more attractive to potential mates, by being a nonconformist? Or less attractive, by raising suspicions of being tone-deaf?

I don't know. I don't understand birds at all. Nor even like them much, with their propensity for pooping on you from on high.
borealis (18th March 2020), Mantisdreamz (24th March 2020)
Old 17th March 2020, 08:42 PM   #456703  /  #3781
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
I've told you, that's good luck

There's a lot of research that shows songbirds' songs are learned by listening to others. Song plays a big role in mate selection too. A female song-sparrow would probably listen to that bird bo heard and think "nah, he's still a bit under-cooked."
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Old 18th March 2020, 01:15 AM   #456706  /  #3782
gib
concerned third party

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Jilted John
Answer me this, MSG. According to scientists, small birds have to spend most of their day eating because of this, that and the other. Yet for the last 2 days one of the blue tits that nest up me soffits has decided to ditch this advice and prefers to use his energy attacking his reflection in my kitchen window like some tiny befeathered perpetual motion device.
borealis (18th March 2020), Brother Daniel (18th March 2020), ffejrxx (18th March 2020), Zeluvia (13th April 2020)
Old 18th March 2020, 02:16 AM   #456707  /  #3783
ffejrxx
Networking Nut

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Minnesota
it sees its refection as competition, or your house is full of food and it wants in
ffejrxx is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 18th March 2020, 02:33 AM   #456708  /  #3784
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

It's gib's evil experiment. He's created conditions for the poor tit to starve itself and its family by wasting all its energy on an illusory intruder, and is now spending all his time watching its futile attacks on its own reflection.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Old 18th March 2020, 07:20 PM   #456711  /  #3785
borealis
poikilothermic

For MSG:

No link atm, but a recent study in California reveals that 40% of an urban coyote's diet consists of domestic cats. There are lots of urban coyotes.

On another note, our lake opened up almost completely today and half a dozen male common mergansers showed up.

Moving, rippling, sparkling, sunlit water replacing months of white still flatness. It is mentally restorative.
Old 19th March 2020, 09:50 PM   #456737  /  #3786
borealis
poikilothermic

Not natural:

Someone calling themselves Destructor on fark.com has swiped my manul avatar! Definitely mine because it was specially manipulated for me.
Old 19th March 2020, 10:02 PM   #456738  /  #3787
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Not natural:

Someone calling themselves Destructor on fark.com has swiped my manul avatar! Definitely mine because it was specially manipulated for me.
With meming, (memeing?) avatars and suchlike are now definitely living things.

Quote:

Old 20th March 2020, 07:14 AM   #456751  /  #3788
nostrum
I do stuff

sounds like OP8

I'm just saying
Old 20th March 2020, 08:24 AM   #456756  /  #3789
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
^My yay of bor's post is an empathetic consoling yay. Just saying.
Yay from
borealis (22nd March 2020), Brother Daniel (20th March 2020)
Old 21st March 2020, 12:33 AM   #456811  /  #3790
gib
concerned third party

youngest has named the bird 'titty'
borealis (22nd March 2020), Mantisdreamz (25th March 2020)
Old 21st March 2020, 12:35 AM   #456812  /  #3791
gib
concerned third party

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejrxx View Post
it sees its refection as competition, or your house is full of food and it wants in

i guess my point was, where does it get the energy from if it's doing this all day
Old 21st March 2020, 01:55 AM   #456815  /  #3792
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

it's a good question, and you would be doing it a favour if you could find a way to discourage it from wasting its energy on the phantom tit

you could try doing something to make the window less reflective. or putting a plaster owl on the window sill, or a hawk silhouette on the glass to scare it away

I used to volunteer at the bird hide at Edithvale Wetlands and a magpie-lark used to assail the reflective glass window all the time. Hawk silhouettes and hanging CDs didn't work but a rubber snake on the window sill did the trick

borealis (22nd March 2020)
Old 21st March 2020, 08:25 PM   #456832  /  #3793
gib
concerned third party

It's extra reflective to stop the neighbours nosing in. The cat has stared to sit there now, so that's putting them off.
Old 25th March 2020, 06:34 PM   #456964  /  #3794
borealis
poikilothermic

My daylilies have sprouted!

Good time to mention day lilies - not other plants called lilies, those are toxic- have edible sprouts where young and flowers in the bud or bloom.
Old 13th April 2020, 03:55 PM   #458720  /  #3795
borealis
poikilothermic

Yesterday I found mayflowers (in a very sheltered south-facing location) beginning to bloom.

In my neighbourhood wanderings I've also discovered that most of the places I used to find them are now too overgrown with young spruce, fir, and shrubs to support their continued existence. They require small clearings in acidic soil with lots of sun and protection from wind. Shade or competing plants quickly eliminate them.

It never fails to amaze me how quickly local ecosystems can change, especially wrt wild flowers. In 25 years I've watched, just along this short dirt road, cleared areas become forests, old spruce and fir stands fall and be replaced with birch and maple, spots where trilliums grew become habitats for lady slippers instead, bog laurel fade away, outcompeted by leatherleaf and Labrador tea, rattlesnake plantain succumb to too much light when old shading conifers blew down, ragged robins take over the banks of a small seasonal stream that once supported tall grasses, queen anne's lace move into the neighbourhood.

Oh, and grackles are back, and it's time again to listen nightly for spring peepers.
Old 13th April 2020, 04:27 PM   #458721  /  #3796
Cunt
Unregistered member

I saw a castle, unused and falling into ruin, due to the lockdown.

Quote:

Yay from
borealis (13th April 2020)
Old 13th April 2020, 04:51 PM   #458723  /  #3797
borealis
poikilothermic

That's a very cool (in all senses) photo.
Old 13th April 2020, 05:06 PM   #458724  /  #3798
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
That's a very cool (in all senses) photo.
Spoiler

The others weren't as good. I'm trying to figure out what I got so right wrt dynamic range in that one. It's rare to get it so...something.

And I shoot a lot of snow scenes.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quote:

Yay from
Mantisdreamz (15th April 2020)
Old 13th April 2020, 06:20 PM   #458725  /  #3799
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
For MSG:

No link atm, but a recent study in California reveals that 40% of an urban coyote's diet consists of domestic cats. There are lots of urban coyotes.

On another note, our lake opened up almost completely today and half a dozen male common mergansers showed up.

Moving, rippling, sparkling, sunlit water replacing months of white still flatness. It is mentally restorative.

We already knew this didn't we? The question is why are dingos slacking in Australia?

Sometimes I can hear the coyotes yapping at night. I live in an urban area.

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 13th April 2020, 06:29 PM   #458727  /  #3800
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Quote:
For MSG:

We already knew this didn't we? The question is why are dingos slacking in Australia?

Sometimes I can hear the coyotes yapping at night. I live in an urban area.
This has me wondering what differences I'll see here around wildlife...

With spring coming, I always bring a (slower) runner along when going 'into the shiggy'.

I certainly expect more bear activity for the regular season, but the only other change I can think of, is less highway traffic, which could bring more bison onto the roads (they are usually looking for the easy way to go from sedge patch to sedge patch)

Quote:

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
apology accepted, canadian lobster sucks, daves not home man, fuck off cunt, fucking cat, get a job, horse's handbrake, jack, mate, penis, penis penis penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile, sparrows