Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 18th September 2018, 06:48 PM   #437577  /  #3426
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
I like rice. Rice is great when you're hungry and you want two thousand of something.
Yay from
borealis (21st September 2018), Majiffy (18th September 2018), Mantisdreamz (19th September 2018), nostrum (19th September 2018), oblivion (19th September 2018)
Old 19th September 2018, 06:04 AM   #437614  /  #3427
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
I'm a rice purist. I like my rice white, steamed, and unadulterated.

Then put something delicious on top of it.
Ya.

Tomorrow we will have plain old white rice. Basa fillets, and steamed broccoli. Maybe make a cheese sauce for the broc

Today was turkey drumsticks, which I don't highly recommend, along with mashed potatoes. Turkey drumsticks lacked meat and was a bit chewy.

I saved the bones for a broth for a soup.

I bought something called "Aztec" soup mix from the Bulk Barn. It contains, (I assume)-> wild black rice, some sort of legume/pulse, corn, peas, and lentils. I bought about 2 handfuls - 150 grams? It was $8! Very pricey. Abnormally expensive for what it was, and for how little of it I got. I made comment, while at the register -> something like, "gee, that's a lot". The woman agreed with me, and I didn't want to take it anymore, but there were people behind me in line, so I just said "it better be good!" and then walked away.

The Bulk Barn is very expensive though. I got the cheap old soup mix, and a handful of gummie bears, and a handful mixed nuts for a total of $17. I was planning on going in and getting some things in 'bulk' for 'cheap'. Guess not!

We just bought a week's worth of groceries for $40 (because that's what I have made our limit) ----- and not because we are broke; but because I like to save $$ and because you CAN get a whole week of groceries with that amount.

And meanwhile, a simple trip to the Bulk Barn, costs half our grocery budget!!
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (21st September 2018)
Old 19th September 2018, 04:36 PM   #437643  /  #3428
OmicronPersei8
Declared candidate for Best Poster 2017 of the fuckin decade

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Gib's
I thought I was doing good at $80/week

eta: then again 60% of what I buy is organic/free-range/grass-fed etc

Jerome: My mistake.
OmicronPersei8 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 20th September 2018, 08:20 AM   #437739  /  #3429
nostrum
too boring to be considered weird

holy shit I spend a lot on groceries / you guys are such tightasses
Majiffy (20th September 2018)
Old 20th September 2018, 03:32 PM   #437749  /  #3430
OmicronPersei8

it helps to make in bulk and meal prep for the week on Sundays. Next week: a big pot of chili for me and the wife's lunches, taco meat and pico to throw tacos together, mason jar salads, and a spinach/brocc/bacon quiche

Old 20th September 2018, 03:34 PM   #437750  /  #3431
OmicronPersei8

12 meals out of the chili for about $10, 4 meals of tacos at $10, 6 meals of quiche $8, 8 salads $10 so 30 meals for about $40

Old 20th September 2018, 04:44 PM   #437753  /  #3432
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
I'm a rice purist. I like my rice white, steamed, and unadulterated.

Then put something delicious on top of it.
Ya.
I mostly make brown rice, with plain water (no need for salt/flavourings) and add what I want later.

I've been really loving 0% Greek yogurt to make sauces etc (because of the macronutrient breakdown) and sometimes cook rice with chicken broth ('rice pilaf or red wine ('uncle stirs the pot
Quote:

We just bought a week's worth of groceries for $40 (because that's what I have made our limit) ----- and not because we are broke; but because I like to save $$ and because you CAN get a whole week of groceries with that amount.

And meanwhile, a simple trip to the Bulk Barn, costs half our grocery budget!!
For cutting costs, nothing has affected me as strongly as red lentils. Learning to incorporate those might have saved me more $$ (in dollars per quality-calorie) than anything else.

But you HAVE to try shakshuka. It is so very configurable, but the New York Times has a great recipe.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...huka-with-feta

You don't need a recipe though...make tomato sauce, in a big pot with a lid. When it's done, crack a bunch of eggs and poach them right on top of the sauce. Maybe add cheese. Serve over rice.

It's something I wish I had known about when I was on a tougher budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmicronPersei8 View Post
12 meals out of the chili for about $10, 4 meals of tacos at $10, 6 meals of quiche $8, 8 salads $10 so 30 meals for about $40
My best regular meal is a can of black beans (2.00).

I think my high-score, though, was red lentils. 2.00 got me 9 lunches. Not big lunches, but holy god-damn cheap. Unlike plain rice, they seemed to stay with me longer, too.

I regularly buy a big, 10$ sack of 'meat'balls, which I often eat with brown rice (made in batches) and salsa. I haven't figured the cost out, but it is pretty inexpensive. The meatballs are a bit suspicious-looking, but whatever, they keep me filled up.

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 21st September 2018, 12:55 AM   #437772  /  #3433
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Mr.b is the main cause of our quite high grocery bill. It's all that meat.

When he's away I eat a lot of beans, rice and pasta with sauces, broccoli and squash and sweet potatoes, whatever vegetables look good, eggs, cheese, and onions: he's allergic to onions. I eat a lot of them when he's not around to have adverse reactions.

I save any broth left from cooking meat/chicken in freezer bags - usually just a cup or cup and a half, definitely flavours up other meals.

Soups - split pea soup is amazing.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:39 AM   #437777  /  #3434
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum View Post
holy shit I spend a lot on groceries / you guys are such tightasses
you also have 4 ppl. We have 2.

And I buy with meals in mind. vegetables last a long way - 1 broccoli for 2 nights. package of romaine lettuce - will last for 2 nights, plus sandwiches. 1 package of deli meat (turkey, or ham).

package of tomatoes will last 1 week. bag of potatoes will last 2 weeks. rice will last 2 weeks. A package of tofu - will last 2 meals.

Then stuff like, meat - but only on sale.

Buying fruits and veggies from the fruit market go a long way too. I bought a package of plums for $2.50 today (there are about 8 of them). A package of peppers-3 for $2.

---

I'm still disturbed about the soup mix.. I took a picture

That's a really small amount, right?
Old 21st September 2018, 02:52 AM   #437778  /  #3435
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
It contains, (I assume)-> wild black rice, some sort of legume/pulse, corn, peas, and lentils.
Their website says: Colusari red rice, long grain brown rice, split peas, amaranth.
http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/All/Aztec-Blend-1656

It looks like you are paying for the red rice and the amaranth, which aren't as commonly for sale in Canada.

Sucks though - red rice is a staple in some parts of Africa, iirc, and amaranth is grown as cattle feed in Australia - also wild amaranth grows everywhere, including Canada.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:52 AM   #437779  /  #3436
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
I've been really loving 0% Greek yogurt to make sauces etc (because of the macronutrient breakdown) and sometimes cook rice with chicken broth ('rice pilaf or red wine ('uncle stirs the pot
may I ask - why the 0%? I thought the whole point of greek yogourt was to get the richness and creaminess from it - that's like 5-9%?

edit - I mean I know you like to eat healthy. But fat is good too.

However, using it for sauces sounds awesome.

Oh, I went to my cousin's house a few weeks ago. (We have just found out that we live in the same borough! She's 3 months older than me). Was great.

But - when I went for dinner - she actually made a tahini based sauce. She used tahini, garlic and a crap load of thai basil, and mixed it in a blender. The sauce was for pasta, and roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. IT WAS INCREDIBLE!

Quote:
For cutting costs, nothing has affected me as strongly as red lentils. Learning to incorporate those might have saved me more $$ (in dollars per quality-calorie) than anything else.
I wonder how much the Bulk Barn charges for that >.>. I don't think I'd be able to get something like that at the grocery store.

Quote:
But you HAVE to try shakshuka. It is so very configurable, but the New York Times has a great recipe.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...huka-with-feta

You don't need a recipe though...make tomato sauce, in a big pot with a lid. When it's done, crack a bunch of eggs and poach them right on top of the sauce. Maybe add cheese. Serve over rice.

It's something I wish I had known about when I was on a tougher budget.
Just looking at it now. That looks incredible. Yum. Probably could serve with tortilla bread too. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmicronPersei8 View Post
My best regular meal is a can of black beans (2.00).

I think my high-score, though, was red lentils. 2.00 got me 9 lunches. Not big lunches, but holy god-damn cheap. Unlike plain rice, they seemed to stay with me longer, too.

I regularly buy a big, 10$ sack of 'meat'balls, which I often eat with brown rice (made in batches) and salsa. I haven't figured the cost out, but it is pretty inexpensive. The meatballs are a bit suspicious-looking, but whatever, they keep me filled up.
How can you just eat a can of black beans though? :p
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:42 PM   #437791  /  #3437
nostrum

Phew I copied the recipe before it was lost. No need to panic, people
Majiffy (23rd September 2018)
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:25 AM   #437805  /  #3438
borealis
poikilothermic

The Secret Pea Soup Recipe!

Maybe I wasn't supposed to pass that on.
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:32 AM   #437807  /  #3439
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum View Post
Phew I copied the recipe before it was lost. No need to panic, people
You're supposed to repost it for those of us who are a little slow about these things.
oblivion is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Majiffy (23rd September 2018)
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:45 AM   #437809  /  #3440
nostrum

ok but if the servers implode then we know for sure it's bor

Quote:
A hambone or small piece of ham, chopped, like you'd have for breakfast - usually I make a pot of pea soup after we've had some kind of ham with a bone in it, but n a pinch I've used chicken bouillon cubes. Package of dried split green or yellow peas - green's traditional, but they taste about the same. Think it's about a half kilo of peas. Some onions.

Okay, if hambone (bits of meat on it is good), put in large pot with water to cover (if you've boiled a ham, use the broth). This is just for flavour. You should roughly have two cups liquid for one cup peas. Half a kilo of peas is about 2 cups.

Add finely chopped onion (you know how your family feels about onions, judge how much accordingly, I'd use one good sized onion).

Add the peas. Add black pepper. You can also add some carrots, and even cubed potatos, but I like the soup better without either. Trying to get vitamins into children though, might mean adding carrots. Sometimes I toss a bay leaf in there but it isn't necessary.

Simmer all this until the peas are soft and smushable, stirring occasionally, especially towards the end. But taste the broth a few times before that to see if it's salty enough for you. At this point the soup is ready to eat!

Pea soup tastes better the next day. It congeals into a quivering lump as it cools. It freezes really well. Stir often when reheating.

Oh! Take the bone out before serving.
borealis (23rd September 2018), longhair75 (23rd September 2018), Majiffy (23rd September 2018), Mantisdreamz (Yesterday), oblivion (23rd September 2018)
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:10 AM   #437812  /  #3441
borealis
poikilothermic

Additional info - depending on how recently the peas were dried, 30 to 40 minutes of simmering. If they are really old (back of the cupboard for 18 months), could take a little longer.

Stir from bottom occasionally, add more liquid if need be.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #437897  /  #3442
Mantisdreamz

pizza pockets and bread stick for dinner. I don't know what happened - but it was just such an enticing option.

Maybe my body was craving carbs? Or maybe it was laziness.

Afterwards, I felt my heart rate elevated. So seems like the body has to work extra hard to process this stuff
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #437900  /  #3443
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Huh, just got a call at 11 pm my time from an ex-gf in Connecticut at 2 am her time;
calling from her bed in the ER due to jitters, anxiety or heart irregularity.
The ER doc even asked her is she was still sexually active. ... "No", she answered.
She and the doc laughed it off.
I asked her why do they "always" think of vagina and heart irregularities?
She is 76, quite a bit older than me, poor dear.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #437902  /  #3444
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
Huh, just got a call at 11 pm my time from an ex-gf in Connecticut at 2 am her time;
The ER doc even asked her is she was still sexually active. ... "No", she answered.
That's nice that she called you though : )
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #437913  /  #3445
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
This is fucking beautiful. Earning the affection of an old woman, and an ex, is something to be proud of. (she probably knows you pretty well by now )

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #437920  /  #3446
nostrum

so did she end up with a clean bill of health?
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #437923  /  #3447
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Well, all of her parts excepting the hardware in her back are the same age.

Her primary conundrum arises from getting a first back surgery 12 years ago,
plus two more to improve/correct the first. She's an oxycontin user/victim
pain management patient, poor girl, who's a spitfire when interviewing/harassing
medical personel (world-renowned surgeons and pain mgt physicians)

Take away: Avoid back surgery at all costs, unless you're Quasimoto or similar
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #437924  /  #3448
nostrum

yep, I've read that

it must be fucked when you find out the evidence bit of evidence-based medicine is lacking after you've had the surgery

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
get a job, no-bake cheesecakes, oven 'fries', penis, penis penis penis, purple pulsating pillar of power, rectum? i nearly killed him