Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 23rd June 2020, 06:15 AM   #460292  /  #2951
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
It was so hot here today, that the wax had melted on the candle I had outside.

I moved the thermometer into the bedroom to gauge the temperature at one point, it was 32 degrees.

Called HVAC today to get the a/c repaired.. and the next available appointment is not this Friday, but the next. The other person we called simply said that he didn't have the time.

Quebec is going through an extreme heat wave at the moment. Should cool down in a few days.. but even still, it's still supposed to be around 29 degrees for the "cool" period
My freezer (all this stuff is similar) screws up every few years in this fashion:

Ice builds up, stopping air flow, limiting function severely.

All I have to do, to 'temp repair' for this, is let it thaw completely (which removes the obstruction) and plug it back in again.

Close examination of the unit, with the only tools being your eyes, is pretty safe to do.

I wish you comfort, neighbour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 23rd June 2020, 06:30 AM   #460293  /  #2952
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Thanks Cunt

With the a/c .. its one of those Samsung units that you put on the wall.. it's a thermal pump. The remote for it works fine. Tried resetting the fuse. Got up on a ladder to try to mess with the external controls.. nothing.

Trust me, I'm a fan of trying to fix it yourself rather than calling someone. One time fixed the washing machine by taking it apart and removing a small child sock from the hose.

But in this case, I think it might be potentially dangerous to try to troubleshoot it myself.

The bedroom is not sleep able right now. We've moved to the basement and the baby is sleeping in the playpen right now with a fan on her, in the basement. She was up every hour last night, due to the heat (have the crib in the bedroom). And I was not planning on going through that again tonight. Right now, she's slept for 3 hours straight so far.. so it's a lot better.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:18 AM   #460300  /  #2953
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
Quote:
it was 32 degrees... extreme heat wave
borealis (23rd June 2020), nostrum (26th June 2020)
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:19 PM   #460307  /  #2954
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
You laugh, msg, but in my part of Canada it is just 14C and foggy, I have all the windows open and have my sleeves rolled up and am barefoot. It's only supposed to reach 21C this afternoon. We had a couple hours of 29C the other day, and while I rather enjoyed it, I stayed in the shade and welcomed the very cool sea breeze. Couple degrees hotter and I'd just avoid most activity.

Mind you, 14 at this time of year feels much warmer than earlier in spring, because the ground has warmed up and that seems to mitigate even coolish temperatures.
Old 23rd June 2020, 03:39 PM   #460310  /  #2955
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Thanks Cunt

With the a/c .. its one of those Samsung units that you put on the wall.. it's a thermal pump. The remote for it works fine. Tried resetting the fuse. Got up on a ladder to try to mess with the external controls.. nothing.

Trust me, I'm a fan of trying to fix it yourself rather than calling someone. One time fixed the washing machine by taking it apart and removing a small child sock from the hose.

But in this case, I think it might be potentially dangerous to try to troubleshoot it myself.

The bedroom is not sleep able right now. We've moved to the basement and the baby is sleeping in the playpen right now with a fan on her, in the basement. She was up every hour last night, due to the heat (have the crib in the bedroom). And I was not planning on going through that again tonight. Right now, she's slept for 3 hours straight so far.. so it's a lot better.
Other things you might see - obstructed drain from the unit...a model number which leads to a troubleshooting guide...

If you go to the troubleshooting guide though, you might find the analysis quickly requires a multi-meter. Some units (like my fridge) have a diagnostic routine, which then yields an error code. On my fridge, I think I turn both dials up to 4, then switch the lights a few times...can't exactly remember.

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 23rd June 2020, 07:57 PM   #460313  /  #2956
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
Thanks Cunt

Don't be scared.

1. Make sure the power is off.

2. Watch out for capacitors.

There are now youtube videos on fixing almost everything.

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (23rd June 2020)
Old 25th June 2020, 08:03 AM   #460333  /  #2957
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Quote:
don't laugh! It's verry humid here! So the heat is like stepping into a brick wall!

Come to Quebec, and you'll see
Old 25th June 2020, 08:05 AM   #460334  /  #2958
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
Thanks Cunt

Other things you might see - obstructed drain from the unit...a model number which leads to a troubleshooting guide...

If you go to the troubleshooting guide though, you might find the analysis quickly requires a multi-meter. Some units (like my fridge) have a diagnostic routine, which then yields an error code. On my fridge, I think I turn both dials up to 4, then switch the lights a few times...can't exactly remember.
I could see if there is a model number.. Where though? Maybe at the bottom of the unit. It's up on the wall, about 12 feet
Old 25th June 2020, 08:10 AM   #460335  /  #2959
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Quote:
Thanks Cunt

Don't be scared.

Oh I know. My instinct is telling me that it's an issue with the control panel... or something like that.

I've examined the fan and hose outside.. can't see anything that seems off out there.

The only thing I haven't done, is to try to see if there is a way to do a factory reset of the unit itself.

For the washing machine - the reset of the machine involves opening and closing the lid, I think like 6 times, in a matter of 30 seconds. It's one of those weird things.

So maybe this has something like.. hold the power button down for 15 seconds or something.

I was thinking about that earlier today.. so will look it up to see if a series of things need to be done in order to reset the unit. I've got enough time before the technician comes here, at least.
Old 25th June 2020, 08:12 AM   #460336  /  #2960
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
don't laugh! It's verry humid here! So the heat is like stepping into a brick wall!

Also, it was a humidex of 40 degrees outside. 32 degrees was inside the bedroom with the ceiling fan going, and another 2 fans going, on top of that!!!
Old 25th June 2020, 08:17 AM   #460337  /  #2961
Mantisdreamz

dry heat is different
Old 25th June 2020, 03:34 PM   #460347  /  #2962
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
I could see if there is a model number.. Where though? Maybe at the bottom of the unit. It's up on the wall, about 12 feet
Google googles might find the model from an image, but an inspection mirror (mirror on a stick) can save you the trouble of getting a ladder.

Quote:
factory reset
If it doesn't have an 'off-switch' you see, you can trip the breaker in the panel, to cut power to it. I suggest leaving the power off long enough for ice to clear (if built-up ice is the problem, which is doubtful)

Quote:

Old 25th June 2020, 03:50 PM   #460349  /  #2963
ffejrxx
Networking Nut

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Minnesota
a good use for a selfie stick?
ffejrxx is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 25th June 2020, 04:20 PM   #460350  /  #2964
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejrxx View Post
a good use for a selfie stick?
WAY better idea. Why do I NEVER use tech right?

Selfie stick, record video, inspect thoroughly. Fuck what a magical time.

Quote:

Old 25th June 2020, 10:25 PM   #460356  /  #2965
ffejrxx
Networking Nut

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Minnesota
was that not its intended use?

awesome tools to poke around to see whats inside/hidden spaces
ffejrxx is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 26th June 2020, 07:21 AM   #460363  /  #2966
nostrum
I do stuff

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, it was a humidex of 40 degrees outside. 32 degrees was inside the bedroom with the ceiling fan going, and another 2 fans going, on top of that!!!
humidex... only in America Canadia

how are bub and little person holding up in the heat?
Old 26th June 2020, 11:34 AM   #460364  /  #2967
Prince Humperdinck

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: 'Murica
Quote:
I agree on not taking it apart, but Cunt's suggesting of leaving it unplugged for 24 hours then giving it another go is spot on.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:28 AM   #460421  /  #2968
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

humidex... only in America Canadia

how are bub and little person holding up in the heat?
At the time.. not well. The littler one currently sleeps in the bedroom, and the bedroom gets crazy hot. She was up every hour for those few days. It was actual hell.

So.. the basement is available, with a pull out couch, and a playpen.

However, my niece has been staying here since .. June 13th or so. She was sleeping in the basement. After those few days of hell, we finally said, you know, let's have her move her quarters from the basement and go sleep in the living room. It was warm there, in the living room, but not as warm as the front bedroom.

So, the 3rd day of the heat wave, we moved down here with the baby, and the baby slept for several hours straight. It was a huge difference.

The bigger baby's room doesn't get as warm, and she has a fan directed at her - so she was okay.

There's another heat wave scheduled for next week.
Yay from
borealis (30th June 2020), nostrum (30th June 2020)
Old 30th June 2020, 06:30 AM   #460422  /  #2969
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Humperdinck View Post
Quote:
I agree on not taking it apart, but Cunt's suggesting of leaving it unplugged for 24 hours then giving it another go is spot on.
For real? So just, turn the breaker off for 24 hours? The guy is scheduled to come on Friday. I'd rather not pay the $ if I don't have to.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:30 AM   #460423  /  #2970
Mantisdreamz

ps, hi nostrum
Yay from
nostrum (30th June 2020)
Old 4th July 2020, 03:55 AM   #460504  /  #2971
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Quote:
Thanks Cunt

Don't be scared.

Oh I know. My instinct is telling me that it's an issue with the control panel... or something like that.
It was an issue with the circuit board. Heh.. I said control panel. I meant, the circuit board. So ya, it just went kaput, essentially.

A new one costs $4,900. I think I can go without it.

To uninstall the thing, and remove it, costs $1,100. I think I can probably also live with the thing on the wall for the time being.

I don't even know how well these things really work. We had one installed at the Greek restaurant I used to work for, and it did provide a lot of cool air - but it wasn't amazing.

I'd rather use the money for something else; like a trip.
Old 4th July 2020, 04:02 AM   #460507  /  #2972
Jerome
Life is just a bowl of cherries

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Pleasant Living
Watching the sun rise on the east coast of usa whilst on acid.... I have some climate change for you
Old 4th July 2020, 04:05 AM   #460508  /  #2973
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Watching the sun rise on the east coast of usa whilst on acid.... I have some climate change for you
Does this mean you accept climate change as a real thing?
Old 5th July 2020, 12:31 AM   #460526  /  #2974
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Was allegedly 16 C this evening, so of course TG and I went swimming in the nearest lake. The water was nice.
borealis (5th July 2020)
Old 5th July 2020, 01:34 AM   #460527  /  #2975
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post

Strange, I watched the sunrise near Ocean City on Acid 150 years ago.

It's why we can see the lizards!

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (5th July 2020)

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Tags
a berm!!11!!!11!11, chas n dave enter thread and decide to do one, climate change lol, female squeeze-out theory, flat earth, guys. no., innumerate and proud of it, itt coldies fight warmies, jerome is killing my forum enjoyment, jerome owns this gay thread, jfc zippy, manny the mammoth, msg has a point /notmsg, neil armstrong = omg aliens return, penis, perspective...the way the human eye works, puffary, raccoons and shovels, rubber ducky you make bathtime fun, the and of = 3 words, the and of = two words, this is not a drill, venn diagram needed itt, what fresh hell is this, yet another jerome-owned thread *sigh*