Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Original Arts Open Gallery

Original Arts Open Gallery literary, pictoral, musical - visible to guests

Old 31st August 2020, 01:58 AM   #461750  /  #51
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
It's amazing how much people preserved pre... say 1970s.

There are several out of province delicacies we get now and then. From newfoundland - jarred moosemeat and rabbit meat. it's ridiculously tender and delicious, can be heated up with a stew, but mostly gets eaten straight from the bottle over an evening with beer and other snacks. From New Brunswick - bottled bar clams - big old tough clams turned to tender pink and white strips after preserving. The taste is very robust and turns a chowder into something memorable. From quebec - herbes sale, salted herbs, a mix of fine herbs, cekery, carrot, and whatever the maker decides is good or traditional in a community. Also in the Magdalens they smoke small herring over wood until it melts in the mouth and has an almost fudge like consistency. It is sweet and salty and also good accompanied by beer.
My dad used to hunt moose, so we also had tons of jars of moose meat in the freezer. I don't ever remember actually eating it though. But it was there in the freezer for much of my 80s childhood. Then he had an incident while hunting a moose and never hunted again. He didn't shoot it correctly, and it went running off to the river.. injured, and bleeding. Him and his friends had to pull it out. He said it was horribly traumatic. So, that was that. He stuck to fishing after that. In which I remember many trips. I used to wake up at 5am to leave with him on the boat for those trips. Fun times.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (31st August 2020)
Old 31st August 2020, 04:12 AM   #461756  /  #52
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
It's amazing how much people preserved pre... say 1970s.

There are several out of province delicacies we get now and then. From newfoundland - jarred moosemeat and rabbit meat. it's ridiculously tender and delicious, can be heated up with a stew, but mostly gets eaten straight from the bottle over an evening with beer and other snacks. From New Brunswick - bottled bar clams - big old tough clams turned to tender pink and white strips after preserving. The taste is very robust and turns a chowder into something memorable. From quebec - herbes sale, salted herbs, a mix of fine herbs, cekery, carrot, and whatever the maker decides is good or traditional in a community. Also in the Magdalens they smoke small herring over wood until it melts in the mouth and has an almost fudge like consistency. It is sweet and salty and also good accompanied by beer.
My dad used to hunt moose, so we also had tons of jars of moose meat in the freezer. I don't ever remember actually eating it though. But it was there in the freezer for much of my 80s childhood. Then he had an incident while hunting a moose and never hunted again. He didn't shoot it correctly, and it went running off to the river.. injured, and bleeding. Him and his friends had to pull it out. He said it was horribly traumatic. So, that was that. He stuck to fishing after that. In which I remember many trips. I used to wake up at 5am to leave with him on the boat for those trips. Fun times.
This kind of experience is exactly why I wish more meat-eaters would take up hunting. My guess is that it would make for fewer meat-eaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 31st August 2020, 04:59 AM   #461757  /  #53
Mantisdreamz

^ if I had to take up hunting for my own food... chances are, I'd probably stick to chicken and fish. It would be all I could stomach to hunt.
Old 31st August 2020, 05:01 AM   #461758  /  #54
Mantisdreamz

I'd probably be a whole lot more healthy too, if that were the case
Old 31st August 2020, 05:02 AM   #461759  /  #55
Cunt
Unregistered member

Same here, probably. Big game is a huge job, and less sure to kill.

Chicken and eggs would probably be my go-to if I had to do it for myself. I don't mind field-dressing fish, but the taste isn't that appealing to me.

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 31st August 2020, 05:03 AM   #461760  /  #56
Mantisdreamz

It kind of makes me think.. if i cant hunt it, why should i be eating it
Old 31st August 2020, 05:03 AM   #461761  /  #57
Mantisdreamz

What do you mean by field dressing?
Old 31st August 2020, 05:04 AM   #461762  /  #58
Mantisdreamz

Fish is delicious. Rainbow trout is my favourite.
Old 31st August 2020, 05:12 AM   #461765  /  #59
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
The butchering you do 'in the field'. With fish, at least for me, that usually means removing the guts, maybe the head.

With ptarmigans, it's neater. I take the breasts/ribcage. The method is a bit grisly. Stand on the wings of the bird, grab its feet and stand up, tearing it apart. The part that you pull out includes the head, backbone and tail. What's left is the wings and breast. You trim off the feathered bits, and you're done.

Moose are more...involved.

My buddy just got back from a moose hunt. Beautiful stories, including a gun with the rear sight replaced by a woodscrew, and some electrical tape. Worked fine.

Quote:

Yay from
Old 31st August 2020, 05:16 AM   #461767  /  #60
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
The butchering you do 'in the field'. With fish, at least for me, that usually means removing the guts, maybe the head.

With ptarmigans, it's neater. I take the breasts/ribcage. The method is a bit grisly. Stand on the wings of the bird, grab its feet and stand up, tearing it apart. The part that you pull out includes the head, backbone and tail. What's left is the wings and breast. You trim off the feathered bits, and you're done.

Moose are more...involved.

My buddy just got back from a moose hunt. Beautiful stories, including a gun with the rear sight replaced by a woodscrew, and some electrical tape. Worked fine.
Oh with regards to the fish.. probably just because you're not familiar. If you can talk about maming a chicken, in this manner.. surely you'd have no issues with a fish. I could even do it. Can't say I could do that to a chicken, so easily.
Old 31st August 2020, 05:17 AM   #461768  /  #61
Mantisdreamz

I couldn't imagine a moose.

You have to butcher it then leave it hanging to dry for a few days, I saw pictures,
Old 31st August 2020, 05:28 AM   #461769  /  #62
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:

You have to butcher it then leave it hanging to dry for a few days, I saw pictures,
if you want to do it, the best first step is to go labour for an experienced hunter. Maybe a few times before going after your own big game.

I have a video here, of 2 experienced guys field dressing some caribou, and have seen one of bison. Big animals are tricky to do a clean job of, in the field. With those animals, here, they have to be quartered, and wrapped, to be sledded out in a toboggan, behind a skidoo. In other contexts, it is handled differently. Many hunters out east hang their meat awhile, in a heated garage. Here, with heated space tougher to come by, a lot of the harvested meat freezes on the way home.

Good practice, to learn what one can about it. I'm very happy I worked at several processing plants. Hogs, chickens and hotdogs are no longer mysterious to me.

Quote:

Old 31st August 2020, 06:01 AM   #461771  /  #63
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:

if you want to do it, the best first step is to go labour for an experienced hunter. Maybe a few times before going after your own big game.

I have a video here, of 2 experienced guys field dressing some caribou, and have seen one of bison. Big animals are tricky to do a clean job of, in the field. With those animals, here, they have to be quartered, and wrapped, to be sledded out in a toboggan, behind a skidoo. In other contexts, it is handled differently. Many hunters out east hang their meat awhile, in a heated garage. Here, with heated space tougher to come by, a lot of the harvested meat freezes on the way home.

Good practice, to learn what one can about it. I'm very happy I worked at several processing plants. Hogs, chickens and hotdogs are no longer mysterious to me.
From what I gathered, my dad and friends hunted it, quartered it and hung it out in the open for a few days.
Old 31st August 2020, 12:09 PM   #461785  /  #64
longhair75
rose tints my world and keeps me safe

Quote:

Just before taking my present job I ran the tongue saw at a beef slaughter house
Cunt (31st August 2020), Zeluvia (3rd September 2020)
Old 31st August 2020, 05:42 PM   #461788  /  #65
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
I'm, well, just butchering tomatoes today, they bleed a lot but somehow I'm hardened to it.

I had about 3L of tomatoes, roughly chopped, added salt, pepper, a bit of sugar, some freeze dried veggie flakes I had, cooked them down to about 1.5L, strained off a small glass of the juice which I drank and it was delicious, divvied the rest into freezer bags and voila.
Old 31st August 2020, 05:45 PM   #461789  /  #66
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
this week, I need to do something with a metric shitton of habanero, serrano and jalapeno chilies.

the kitchen, at times, will be overcome with toxic fumes.

it's gonna be a grand week.
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Old 31st August 2020, 05:57 PM   #461791  /  #67
borealis
poikilothermic

Mask, goggles, and gloves, chef.

I still have lots of tomatoes ripening on the plants. The last time I had lots of green tomatoes someone told me, when there was a frost warning, to pull the plants up and hang them upside down from their roots in an airy light place, which I did. They all ripened perfectly with no rotting or wrinkling.

Also they looked positively decorative, all these reddening fruit dangling from the slowly drying green vines.
Old 31st August 2020, 06:19 PM   #461793  /  #68
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
I really do need to get some goggles.

I'd especially like to work with the habs outdoors, I've been waiting for a good air day. We'll see!
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (31st August 2020), Mantisdreamz (5th September 2020)
Old 31st August 2020, 06:57 PM   #461794  /  #69
borealis
poikilothermic

Apparently yellow wax beans have been a bumper crop this year. Everyone I know who planted any has been picking endlessly, and the local grocer had a heaping bin of local ones for sale.
Old 1st September 2020, 05:46 AM   #461796  /  #70
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
I really do need to get some goggles.

I'd especially like to work with the habs outdoors, I've been waiting for a good air day. We'll see!
When making pot-oil, a pal fashioned an exhaust hood out of cardboard, and a small in-line fan. It was good enough to keep explosive fumes out of a houseful of smokers.

Quote:

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Original Arts Open Gallery