MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Community > Rompus Room

Rompus Room Bring all your toys to share

Old 10th January 2019, 06:59 PM   #442625  /  #26
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Go get a steroid injection INTO the shoulder. NOW. It will ease the swelling and reduce the pain, and maybe stop the nerve damage.

Do not be an ass like me and let it go.

I now get a jolt of pain from my shoulder all the way down to my elbow funny bone, my wrist and my pinky finger ffs when I move it wrong.

Pisses me right off...but you do get used to it.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 10th January 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10th January 2019, 08:24 PM   #442629  /  #27
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Go get a steroid injection INTO the shoulder. NOW. It will ease the swelling and reduce the pain, and maybe stop the nerve damage.

Do not be an ass like me and let it go.

I now get a jolt of pain from my shoulder all the way down to my elbow funny bone, my wrist and my pinky finger ffs when I move it wrong.

Pisses me right off...but you do get used to it.
That wasn't on the list I checked for treatment options for this problem.

Unless cortisone (cortisol?) injection is what you are talking about.

What I wonder is, why isn't my doc doing that? She checked ROM and sent me to physio...I do try to trust her, but honestly don't know how to tell the difference between a good and a bad doc...I know that health care in Canada really sucks in general, and in the NWT it sucks worse than that...but where to dig in?

Or do you mean the kind of steroids I buy in an alley...? (I doubt you mean that)

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 10th January 2019, 09:59 PM   #442633  /  #28
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Yes, cortisone injection is what I am talking about. It's tricky, they have to usually use some kind of imager to get it in the right place, so they don't like to do it. Only a really experienced doc can do it without using an imager. So you might have to ask for it, because it is more difficult to do than knee injections.

Old 10th January 2019, 10:14 PM   #442636  /  #29
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Yes, cortisone injection is what I am talking about. It's tricky, they have to usually use some kind of imager to get it in the right place, so they don't like to do it. Only a really experienced doc can do it without using an imager. So you might have to ask for it, because it is more difficult to do than knee injections.
My local 'experts' are endlessly fucking up. I don't think I would dare to get them to do tricky stuff here.

Fuck, my buddy has been going in for daily injected antibiotics (for cellulitis I think it's called) and his wife went in about 2 - 5 weeks along his treatment to rage at them a bit, because they hadn't even done cultures or anything to identify the problem specifically.

Bunch of fucking locums here...I don't know what to do about the shoulder...except diligently follow the exercises...and worry that I am not qualified to assess the quality of care I'm getting.

*Caution*

Old 11th January 2019, 12:01 AM   #442643  /  #30
gib
them days are gone, boy

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: the thin one out of Laurel & Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Why do men get them so much? What are they doing back there to encourage horror movie bleeding pink vein balloons to occur or do I just not want to know?

Yes.
borealis (11th January 2019)
Old 11th January 2019, 01:37 AM   #442657  /  #31
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
Quote:
My local 'experts' are endlessly fucking up. I don't think I would dare to get them to do tricky stuff here.

Fuck, my buddy has been going in for daily injected antibiotics (for cellulitis I think it's called) and his wife went in about 2 - 5 weeks along his treatment to rage at them a bit, because they hadn't even done cultures or anything to identify the problem specifically.

Bunch of fucking locums here...I don't know what to do about the shoulder...except diligently follow the exercises...and worry that I am not qualified to assess the quality of care I'm getting.

Ask for a 7 day packet of oral Methylprednisolone then and a follow up script of an anti-inflammatory, like Naproxyn

Old 11th January 2019, 01:39 AM   #442658  /  #32
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Quote:

Ask for a 7 day packet of oral Methylprednisolone then and a follow up script of an anti-inflammatory, like Naproxyn

You notice I went through three different doctors before I got an MRI and an accurate diagnosis.

Old 11th January 2019, 02:03 AM   #442659  /  #33
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How would I believe you, Zeluvia?

Weird question, eh?

I believe you mostly, but don't know what I'm talking about. Should I just tell the doc I trust a pal who told me this was her experience, and that I would like to try it?

I mean, steady pain is a helluva motivator. I understand much better now, why some folks are so susceptible to chiropractic or reiki proctitioners...

*Caution*

Old 11th January 2019, 02:06 AM   #442660  /  #34
Cunt
Unregistered member

Oh, and just so we don't get too far 'on topic', here is something that brought tears to my eyes.

A blog post by a hero of min.
http://batgirldaily.blogspot.com/2018/07/dear-lavs.html

*Caution*

Old 11th January 2019, 12:39 PM   #442671  /  #35
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How would I believe you, Zeluvia?

Weird question, eh?

I believe you mostly, but don't know what I'm talking about. Should I just tell the doc I trust a pal who told me this was her experience, and that I would like to try it?

I mean, steady pain is a helluva motivator. I understand much better now, why some folks are so susceptible to chiropractic or reiki proctitioners...

Yep, tell her that. There is no reason I can think of why they would not let you try anti-inflammatory treatments to relieve pain. Here in the US where we can't have opioids anymore that is the new go to.

Old 11th January 2019, 04:46 PM   #442674  /  #36
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:

Yep, tell her that. There is no reason I can think of why they would not let you try anti-inflammatory treatments to relieve pain. Here in the US where we can't have opioids anymore that is the new go to.
Appointments take weeks here, but I'll call.

To show you that I believe you, I will (uncharacteristically) start taking daily NSAID's of some sort until I do get to see her.

Thanks for taking the time. I avoid painkillers mostly because I worry about doing more damage. This will become an exclusion to that rule.

*Caution*

Old 11th January 2019, 06:41 PM   #442675  /  #37
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder a few years ago. My treatment and recovery were something of a shitshow due to it being work-related (repetitive strain injury).

The pt who initially worked on my shoulder was trying to break down and reshape scar tissue and adhesions (basically an overabundance of muscle micro-tears) that were painfully restricting my range of movement. The PT was extremely painful, and I was usually worthless through the next day, at least after a torture session.

Whether I really had a frozen shoulder is up for debate, I guess. A few months later my diagnosis was changed to "Thoracic Outlet Syndrome", and the treatment plan wasn't as debilitating: Something called the Edgelow Protocol, low-dose valium (for "nerve irritation"), and a year or so of hands-on one-on-one Feldenkrais therapy. Peter Edgelow, the pt who came up with the Edgelow Protocol, lives/lived in the Bay Area, so I had the advantage of being treated by the inventor of the therapy. He's an amazing PT (and human being). His theory was that chronic "bracing" against pain is a sort of endless loop, and the way to detangle that loop is with oxygen. Part of his treatment was walking an hour (more if needed) a day. Lots of people who have been through his treatment have said that it took an hour or more of walking to get any relief from the constant pain.

The good news is -- I'm "cured". My upper body is probably a lot weaker than it would be without a few years of being insanely careful not to exacerbate things, but I'm not in chronic shoulder and arm pain and haven't been for several years

The bad news is it took a good three-four years before I got better.

More good news: I got really good at listening to my body and noticing when something wasn't right.

More bad news: I was afraid to push myself and lost a sense of physical competence and well-being. It took an insanely long time to get that back.

Your description of the acute pain is familiar. Over time, I found that when I did something that flared up my shoulder, I'd be hit with what I called "sick pain". It made my whole body feel bad - nauseous, weak, sometimes sweats. Mild opioids (codeine) would speed up the improvement process, but I'd just veg for hours or days until the pain returned to normal levels.

Not sure if this is all that meaningful to you.

The biggest lesson I learned was: diagnosis is a journey - it can take time to get the diagnosis right because it's a process of elimination in a lot of ways. There are many potential causes to the symptoms, and there may be onion-layers of causes. You resolve something, you're still in a lot of pain, so you seek more treatment and the diagnosis changes.
oblivion is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (12th January 2019), Zeluvia (11th January 2019)
Old 11th January 2019, 07:03 PM   #442676  /  #38
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Quote:

Appointments take weeks here, but I'll call.

To show you that I believe you, I will (uncharacteristically) start taking daily NSAID's of some sort until I do get to see her.

Thanks for taking the time. I avoid painkillers mostly because I worry about doing more damage. This will become an exclusion to that rule.

Just take aspirin. I only trust plain old aspirin and Naprosyn.

Yay from
borealis (12th January 2019)
Old 11th January 2019, 07:06 PM   #442677  /  #39
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder a few years ago. My treatment and recovery were something of a shitshow due to it being work-related (repetitive strain injury).

The pt who initially worked on my shoulder was trying to break down and reshape scar tissue and adhesions (basically an overabundance of muscle micro-tears) that were painfully restricting my range of movement. The PT was extremely painful, and I was usually worthless through the next day, at least after a torture session.
Wouldn't be able to do this part. My PT wanted to move my shoulder to the point of pain, and I couldn't let him. He said he needed to know if it was physically blocked or guarded. I told him guarded, and that's how it is staying.

The pain is too much to do it voluntarily. If you put a lit cigarette on my arm, I would let it burn down to the filter, rather than causing the pain-flare by moving my arm.
Quote:

Whether I really had a frozen shoulder is up for debate, I guess. A few months later my diagnosis was changed to "Thoracic Outlet Syndrome", and the treatment plan wasn't as debilitating: Something called the Edgelow Protocol, low-dose valium (for "nerve irritation"), and a year or so of hands-on one-on-one Feldenkrais therapy. Peter Edgelow, the pt who came up with the Edgelow Protocol, lives/lived in the Bay Area, so I had the advantage of being treated by the inventor of the therapy. He's an amazing PT (and human being). His theory was that chronic "bracing" against pain is a sort of endless loop, and the way to detangle that loop is with oxygen. Part of his treatment was walking an hour (more if needed) a day. Lots of people who have been through his treatment have said that it took an hour or more of walking to get any relief from the constant pain.
Well, that's another thing to add to the list.
As to the hour or more, I run approximately 90 minutes a day (averaged since the beginning of winter) and in addition, shovel snow whenever it's there (usually 90 minutes or more each occasion)
Quote:

The good news is -- I'm "cured". My upper body is probably a lot weaker than it would be without a few years of being insanely careful not to exacerbate things, but I'm not in chronic shoulder and arm pain and haven't been for several years

The bad news is it took a good three-four years before I got better.

More good news: I got really good at listening to my body and noticing when something wasn't right.

More bad news: I was afraid to push myself and lost a sense of physical competence and well-being. It took an insanely long time to get that back.

Your description of the acute pain is familiar. Over time, I found that when I did something that flared up my shoulder, I'd be hit with what I called "sick pain". It made my whole body feel bad - nauseous, weak, sometimes sweats. Mild opioids (codeine) would speed up the improvement process, but I'd just veg for hours or days until the pain returned to normal levels.

Not sure if this is all that meaningful to you.

The biggest lesson I learned was: diagnosis is a journey - it can take time to get the diagnosis right because it's a process of elimination in a lot of ways. There are many potential causes to the symptoms, and there may be onion-layers of causes. You resolve something, you're still in a lot of pain, so you seek more treatment and the diagnosis changes.
I'll take the weakness, if it is a result. I know how to build strength, from methods to expectations, none of that bothers me at all.

What kills me is that I have to ask for stuff. I shovel snow for 2 hours, go run trails for another couple hours, and ask my sweetheart to help take off my shirt, or plug my computer in (behind the couch) or twist off a pickle jar.

That last one rankles a lot, since I bought a rubber wrench, so that strength wasn't a big issue. Now, I can't even use that successfully lol

This teeny, dark-haired old lady is opening my pickle jars for me...fucking weird.

Anyway, thanks for adding this. I'll be talking to Doc W soon enough, and we'll go from there. I've already taken some of those NSAID's that Zeluvia recommended. No pain relief, but it MUST be reducing inflammation somewhere, right?

*Caution*

Old 11th January 2019, 08:13 PM   #442680  /  #40
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:

Just take aspirin. I only trust plain old aspirin and Naprosyn.
Too late for that, I have already started on a fancier one. I might pick up aspirin while I'm out, but I eat fast food, smoke weed from strangers, and drink homebrewed ciders. I think I can take this risk, considering it was already in the house.

*Caution*

Old 12th January 2019, 01:38 AM   #442714  /  #41
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Make sure what you're taking is an NSAID and not some other type of painkiller. The point of something like aspirin is that it is an anti-inflammatory. Reducing inflammation is key.

Aspirin gets no respect. It works, unless you have serious gut problems.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:56 AM   #442729  /  #42
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Take Aleve. Do not take Tylenol. Ever, for anything. Celebrex and Motrin both have bad reps too.

Old 12th January 2019, 07:40 AM   #442735  /  #43
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Take Aleve. Do not take Tylenol. Ever, for anything. Celebrex and Motrin both have bad reps too.
Look what we get
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...reporting.html

*Caution*

Old 15th January 2019, 07:15 PM   #442930  /  #44
borealis
poikilothermic

Look at the medication, not the brand name, of your NSAID.

acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) (aspirin)
ibuprofen (Alleve and others)

are the most common but there are others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonste...Classification

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is not an anti-inflammatory, has some dangerous side effects, and isn't a good match for some people, though others like it. Sometimes they can be taken with an NSAID. Ask your doctor.

I'm old fashioned. I like aspirin. It works for me. I could make a crude form of it out of willow bark if I had to.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:28 PM   #442933  /  #45
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
I could make a crude form of it out of willow bark if I had to.
I believe that.
Yay from
borealis (15th January 2019)
Old 15th January 2019, 07:34 PM   #442938  /  #46
Cunt
Unregistered member

I'm going to use up this advil first. Aspirin will be the replacement though.

*Caution*

Old 15th January 2019, 07:45 PM   #442944  /  #47
borealis
poikilothermic

Lol.

Seriously - find willow tree (almost any willow, the most common weeping willow is as good as any, and pussywillow works too). strip younger bark, making sure you get inner bark. Let it dry out some. Chop it up. Boil a couple tablespoons in 2 or 3 cups of water for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and strain tea and drink it. Wait an hour or two and hope the pain goes away. Wait a couple more hours before having a second cup. You're at the experimentation stage here and don't want to under or overdose. Also it is a blood thinner. And can be hard on the tummy.

I sincerely hope no one, especially me, ever needs to try this, but shit happens and I really don't like pain.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:46 PM   #442945  /  #48
rachmarie
Equi-Feminist Extraordinaire

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
I HATE my immune system

I went to Jiffymeet and had a blast was a great break from all the crap I have been through lately stress wise with everything, and then boom I get back and am sick with some respiratory junk the greeny yellow snot, the coughing so hard my ribs hurt, and a deep racking cough at that, and of course fever uggh. Just hope it does not go into full bronchitis which would be my luck lol, All I want to do is crawl into my bed of sorts and under the covers and sleep for hours and hours on end

Is not a Jiffy alt sock
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 15th January 2019, 07:53 PM   #442947  /  #49
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Lol.

Seriously - find willow tree (almost any willow, the most common weeping willow is as good as any, and pussywillow works too). strip younger bark, making sure you get inner bark. Let it dry out some. Chop it up. Boil a couple tablespoons in 2 or 3 cups of water for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and strain tea and drink it. Wait an hour or two and hope the pain goes away. Wait a couple more hours before having a second cup. You're at the experimentation stage here and don't want to under or overdose. Also it is a blood thinner. And can be hard on the tummy.

I sincerely hope no one, especially me, ever needs to try this, but shit happens and I really don't like pain.
I'm using it because it is said to have anti-inflammatory effects, but I have never felt pain relieved by a drug. Asprin, tylenol, advil or whatever doesn't work. They knocked me out at the hospital with stuff, but that isn't available to me.

I stay as firmly away from painkillers as I can, partly because of this complication. I'm either hilariously out of touch with myself, or immune.

*Caution*

Old 15th January 2019, 08:52 PM   #442959  /  #50
rachmarie
Equi-Feminist Extraordinaire

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
Cellulitis is very painful and nasty I have never heard someone go in multiple times for shots though usually they give you oral antibiotics and in the hospital they will give IV antibiotics.

This is from a rather MILD and caught pretty early cellulitis infection I had when I went into the hospital to check out my bellybutton about 3 or 4 weeks after surgery when I had an infection developing in the belly button plus this cellulitis on my leg just one though this time.

Is not a Jiffy alt sock

Last edited by rachmarie; 15th January 2019 at 08:55 PM.
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom

MindRomp Forum > Community > Rompus Room

Tags
hemorrhoid hemorrhoid hemorrhoid, penis penis penis