Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 31st January 2020, 01:32 PM   #455861  /  #1
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Ranting Results of Recent Overindulgence

After too many You Tube ted talks and documentaries, and too much pizza, I woke up this morning and had to post this.

1. Particles at the smallest level seem to "blink" in and out of existence.

2. Quantum entanglement shows that particles are somehow connected over vast "distances"

3. The math of the universe states that dark energy and dark matter have to exist.

4. The mystery of singularities.

5. String theory postulates additional "folded" dimensions.

It seems to me that 5 is the answer to 1-4, somehow.

So then I got to thinking about "characteristics" vs "dimensions".

We define perceived reality as three spatial dimensions plus duration.

We define waves by frequency = Speed, and Height = Energy level. Instead of being just "characteristics" what if they are also "dimensions"?

Going back to sleep now.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 31st January 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 31st January 2020, 02:49 PM   #455864  /  #2
longhair75
rose tints my world and keeps me safe

Your response to overindulgence is much different from mine......
Brother Daniel (31st January 2020), ffejrxx (31st January 2020), nostrum (31st January 2020)
Old 31st January 2020, 03:01 PM   #455865  /  #3
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
IMO that's more of an "interpretation" of quantum field theory than an actual result of it. But granted, it's a helpful interpretation in some contexts.
Quote:
2. Quantum entanglement shows that particles are somehow connected over vast "distances"
Yeah, that's really weird, but seems to be inescapable.
Quote:
3. The math of the universe states that dark energy and dark matter have to exist.
Dark matter is on pretty firm ground from multiple lines of evidence. Dark energy, less so. It wouldn't surprise me greatly if that idea were discarded within the next 10-20 years.
Quote:
"Real" singularities in spacetime are a consequence of Einsteinian relativity. But because singularities are (pretty much by definition) tiny, people have often speculated that a proper unification of relativity with quantum mechanics (if only we could figure it out) might eliminate them.
Quote:
Imagine we're bugs crawling on the surface of a doughnut. Just like any other surface, it's two-dimensional (but curvy). Now imagine that the doughnut is very, very thin -- much thinner than even we little bugs are. If thin enough, that dimension practically disappears, and we don't even notice it. That's the idea with these extra "compactified" dimensions.

I'm still undecided about whether string theory will turn out to be a big dead end. It's pretty in some ways, but it seems that it hardly even touches on some of the issues that it was originally intended to solve.
Quote:
We define waves by frequency = Speed, and Height = Energy level. Instead of being just "characteristics" what if they are also "dimensions"?
What would that mean, though?
nostrum (31st January 2020)
Old 31st January 2020, 03:10 PM   #455866  /  #4
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
After too many You Tube ted talks and documentaries, and too much pizza, I woke up this morning and had to post this.

It seems to me that 5 is the answer to 1-4, somehow.

So then I got to thinking about "characteristics" vs "dimensions".

We define perceived reality as three spatial dimensions plus duration.

Going back to sleep now.
I recommend checking out the recent podcast where Sir Roger Penrose was interviewed. I didn't know SO many things, and understood a few.

One was that his Dad had correspondence with Escher. What I lost track of was whether 'Penrose triangles' were his, or his Dad's invention.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aH...AAAAHQAAAAAQAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 31st January 2020, 03:34 PM   #455867  /  #5
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

I don't do podcasts, I can't sit and listen to people talk without watching them, and I like visual aids. Also, if I do try to listen, I end up doing other things and not really listening.

I would rather read a transcript of a podcast, it's so much faster.

Yay from
borealis (1st February 2020)
Old 31st January 2020, 03:40 PM   #455868  /  #6
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
I don't do podcasts, I can't sit and listen to people talk without watching them, and I like visual aids. Also, if I do try to listen, I end up doing other things and not really listening.

Maybe they have one. I like playing them while doing chores or running. (maybe that's why I'm not soaking it up fully)

That Penrose guy was pretty cool, but the same podcast interviewed Werner Herzog. Werner was shot in the gut, on camera. Apparently, he said that it was an insignificant bullet. He had also said you should always carry boltcutters. (getting done is more important than being 'legal

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 31st January 2020, 04:03 PM   #455872  /  #7
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel

No facking clue

I was dreaming about it I guess, and had an epiphany in my dream, which of course doesn't translate or even survive waking up.

But the gist seemed to be that we are looking at things backasswards, that what we consider the primary dimensions are resultant dimensions, and the primary dimensions are energy and frequency.

Old 31st January 2020, 04:33 PM   #455876  /  #8
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
Quote:

Go for a walk and listen to them
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 31st January 2020, 04:44 PM   #455877  /  #9
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Go for a walk and listen to them
M

S

G

Quote:

Old 31st January 2020, 09:30 PM   #455885  /  #10
longhair75

To be very honest, I hit a math wall beyond which all was just gibberish to me. Advanced math and physics were behind that wall.
Old 31st January 2020, 09:37 PM   #455888  /  #11
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
To be very honest, I hit a math wall beyond which all was just gibberish to me. Advanced math and physics were behind that wall.
That podcast (the portal) is kind of planned for those who don't understand some of it. It's why Penrose (a math expert) was being interviewed by Weinstein (a math expert of a different focus) about the things they didn't understand about each other.

I bet you would get different stuff out of it than me, and Z would get different stuff than BroD.

Quote:

Old 31st January 2020, 09:47 PM   #455890  /  #12
longhair75

In the late 1950s, when I was in 2nd grade, they introduced "the New Math"

When we should have been memorizing the multiplication tables and learning how to do long division, they dropped all of that and tried teaching:
Quote:
from the article linked
Topics introduced in the New Math include modular arithmetic, algebraic inequalities, bases other than 10, matrices, symbolic logic, Boolean algebra, and abstract algebra.[1] In elementary school, in addition to bases other than 10, students were taught basic set theory and made to distinguish "numerals" from "numbers." [2]

Also from the article:
Quote:
Parents and teachers who opposed the New Math in the U.S. complained that the new curriculum was too far outside of students' ordinary experience and was not worth taking time away from more traditional topics, such as arithmetic. The material also put new demands on teachers, many of whom were required to teach material they did not fully understand. Parents were concerned that they did not understand what their children were learning and could not help them with their studies. In an effort to learn the material, many parents attended their children's classes. In the end, it was concluded that the experiment was not working, and New Math fell out of favor before the end of the decade, though it continued to be taught for years thereafter in some school districts.

By the time our school district gave up on this nonsense, there were many of us who were hopelessly lost. Algebra 1 in high school was as far as I got, and it took me three tries to squeeze out a passing grade. I managed geometry a little better and that gave me the two math classes I needed to graduate.

Old 31st January 2020, 09:55 PM   #455892  /  #13
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
In the late 1950s, when I was in 2nd grade, they introduced "the New Math"

When we should have been memorizing the multiplication tables and learning how to do long division, they dropped all of that and tried teaching:
Quote:
from the article linked
Topics introduced in the New Math include modular arithmetic, algebraic inequalities, bases other than 10, matrices, symbolic logic, Boolean algebra, and abstract algebra.[1] In elementary school, in addition to bases other than 10, students were taught basic set theory and made to distinguish "numerals" from "numbers." [2]

Also from the article:
Quote:
Parents and teachers who opposed the New Math in the U.S. complained that the new curriculum was too far outside of students' ordinary experience and was not worth taking time away from more traditional topics, such as arithmetic. The material also put new demands on teachers, many of whom were required to teach material they did not fully understand. Parents were concerned that they did not understand what their children were learning and could not help them with their studies. In an effort to learn the material, many parents attended their children's classes. In the end, it was concluded that the experiment was not working, and New Math fell out of favor before the end of the decade, though it continued to be taught for years thereafter in some school districts.

By the time our school district gave up on this nonsense, there were many of us who were hopelessly lost. Algebra 1 in high school was as far as I got, and it took me three tries to squeeze out a passing grade. I managed geometry a little better and that gave me the two math classes I needed to graduate.

Education is an area RIPE for exploitation by corrupt beaurocrats.

There was a push to turn schools french around Canada (especially the east) which took precedence over actual education. More recently, Pearson got a HUGE contract to provide a new thing in the US called 'Common Core'. This 'common core' got mixed reviews, but Pearson later gave an ex-president a giant book deal. Who cares how well it works, as long as those pushing it get rich.

I think they should provide education sufficient for normal life, and let universities go back to being a place to choose a little extra education, if you want to focus more. It's turned into just an extension of 'high-school' (in that it is considered necessary) and vulnerable children are lured into applying to expensive programs, often before they are mature enough to drink, vote or rent a car.

They are talking about forgiving student loan debt in the states. That, to me, is a condemnation of the value of what was bought, even more than a condemnation of the victims who purchased worthless degrees.

Quote:

Old 31st January 2020, 10:13 PM   #455895  /  #14
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:

Yeah the math sucks. I quit at Calculus II.

Yay from
Cunt (31st January 2020)
Old 1st February 2020, 12:15 AM   #455902  /  #15
longhair75

If my third shot at Algebra I had not been at a summer school class where the teacher really did not care, I may have not graduated high school on time
Old 1st February 2020, 12:34 AM   #455904  /  #16
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Is this a good thread for complaining about how much I hated English classes?

I loved writing when I was little. School beat it out of me. It took me a decade after my last English class to rediscover that I like to write.
Old 1st February 2020, 01:06 AM   #455906  /  #17
Timewave

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: IN MY HEAD (MOSTLY)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel

No facking clue

I was dreaming about it I guess, and had an epiphany in my dream, which of course doesn't translate or even survive waking up.

But the gist seemed to be that we are looking at things backasswards, that what we consider the primary dimensions are resultant dimensions, and the primary dimensions are energy and frequency.
B (my keyboard is no working)
hysis agree wih yo Zz.
Exce hey don' call hem dimensions b fields.
an m hysiics is all field heory now.

Will have o log on wih ble.
Old 1st February 2020, 01:31 AM   #455911  /  #18
nostrum
I do stuff

a gl por an
Old 1st February 2020, 01:38 AM   #455915  /  #19
Timewave

Try again.
Everything you are talking about Zuzu is the fields which all elemental particle , frequency , spooky interactions at a distance all happen in, are suspended in Fields.

The dimensions, time, past, future and present are all caught up in the web of field interactions.
Energy popping in and out of existence and increase as the size of the universe increases because .of the uncertainty principles are all now understood as field theory.

So fields trump your dimensions
Old 1st February 2020, 01:40 AM   #455917  /  #20
Timewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum View Post
a gl por an
borealis (1st February 2020), nostrum (1st February 2020)
Old 1st February 2020, 08:19 AM   #455929  /  #21
Carlsson
kitchen sink garbage disposal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Sweden
I have recently tried to watch anything quasar related. They are mindbending.
Carlsson is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 1st February 2020, 08:15 PM   #455941  /  #22
Timewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsson View Post
I have recently tried to watch anything quasar related. They are mindbending.
Light and time bending too!

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology