Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 13th June 2019, 02:52 AM   #448699  /  #2626
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
If you're really fast, and you get away so that the humans can't see you, they can sometimes figure out how to track you. So when you're settling down for your next longish rest, suddenly the humans show up again. They really are scary.
Old 13th June 2019, 02:53 AM   #448700  /  #2627
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Humans are also ridiculous and annoying creatures.
Old 13th June 2019, 02:53 AM   #448701  /  #2628
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

On the other hand, some of my best friends are humans. So there is that.
Mantisdreamz (14th June 2019)
Old 13th June 2019, 04:06 AM   #448702  /  #2629
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel View Post
Humans are scary. They can keep following you and following you until you get completely exhausted.
Persistence hunting is possibly one of the most terrifying systems of eating a creature EVER. When considering all the horrible ways various animals might eat you...sharks...bears...hell, even CATS are a damn site less scary than those early, small humans, in small groups, following relentlessly.

At a certain point, the animal has to KNOW how it is going to go. Even at that point it could still be HOURS playing out.

*shudder*

I won't be chasing that hare unless I AM going to eat it. Also, I won't eat it unless I can save and use the hide. I mean, I can afford some pretty yummy hot dogs.

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 13th June 2019, 02:16 PM   #448705  /  #2630
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Not just hours - persistence hunting humans can spend days following prey.

I read somewhere that persistence hunting until very recently was still a common practice among the San people, and some of their folklore/legends are essentially descriptions of following an animal (like an eland) for a long time, often after having shot it with a rather slow-acting poison-dipped arrow, and being helped or hindered by various entities.

San (Bushmen) legend:

Quote:
One of the first animals created by ǀKaggen [Mantis], and his favourite, was the eland.[9] ǀKaggen's wife Coti gave birth to the eland, and ǀKaggen hid it near a secluded cliff to let it grow.[9] One day his sons, Cogaz and Gewi, were out hunting.[9] Not knowing their father's love for the eland, they killed it.[10] ǀKaggen was angry, and told Gewi to put the blood from the dead eland into a pot and churn it.[11] Blood spattered from the pot onto the ground and turned into snakes.[11] ǀKaggen was displeased. Next, Gewi scattered the blood, and it turned into hartebeests.[11] Again, ǀKaggen was unhappy. He told Coti to clean the pot and add more blood from the eland, with fat from the heart. She churned it, and ǀKaggen sprinkled the mixture on the ground. It turned into a large herd of eland.[11] This was how ǀKaggen gave meat to his people to hunt and eat.[10] The Bushmen attribute the wildness of the eland to the fact that ǀKaggen's sons killed it before it was ready to be hunted, spoiling it.
Old 14th June 2019, 01:20 AM   #448717  /  #2631
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
If you're really fast, and you get away so that the humans can't see you, they can sometimes figure out how to track you. So when you're settling down for your next longish rest, suddenly the humans show up again. They really are scary.
humans are the worst.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 14th June 2019, 01:24 AM   #448718  /  #2632
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
On the other hand, some of my best friends are humans. So there is that.
ya but, I bet even they are a bit iffy
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (14th June 2019), Brother Daniel (14th June 2019), nostrum (14th June 2019)
Old 14th June 2019, 12:55 PM   #448728  /  #2633
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Old 14th June 2019, 10:14 PM   #448733  /  #2634
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
Weather has been crazy here. We had about 3 days where it didn't dip below 100/38 degrees until after 8 pm. I guess the advantage of those temperatures is that most people don't go outdoors long enough to get a sunburn.

After that, we had a day that didn't top 85/30.

The highest temperature I noticed in my back yard was 112/45 on Tuesday. Which was almost 10 degrees higher than the official high temp. I believe my backyard thermometer.

We're kinda back into normal June weather now.
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 14th June 2019, 10:19 PM   #448734  /  #2635
Cunt
Unregistered member

Things are normal here, but I've kind of made them extreme.

An elite running athlete I follow created a new race this year. I think it's first running is this weekend. It is a 'last man standing' kind of horror-show, and many of the most serious elite athletes have 'DNF'ed' at the original 'Bigs Backyard Ultra', upon which this race is based.

Courtney Dauwalter (look up how FUCKING tough she is) was simply not tough enough to earn more than a 'DNF'.

I've asked him to register my sweetheart and I for the 2040 running of his race. I do hope he receives it as the compliment I intend it to be.

*Caution*

Last edited by Cunt; 14th June 2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: corrected Ms. Dauwalter's name
Old 14th June 2019, 10:48 PM   #448735  /  #2636
Prince Humperdinck

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: 'Murica
It's Dauwalter.
Old 14th June 2019, 11:01 PM   #448736  /  #2637
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Humperdinck View Post
It's Dauwalter.
You are right. She deserves it.

She is unbelievably tough, speaks about it clearly, and with confidence, yet not a whisper of arrogance. One of the most chilling things about hearing her tell the story, was the casual way that she mentioned still having all 10 toenails. She not only won MOAB, beating a sincerely tough BADASS by 10 fucking HOURS, but she did it while looking like she was doing her daily.

That tough, buys you a 'DNF' at Bigs Backyard.

That Laz guy really knows how to fuck a person (the key seems to be, get them to do it to themselves)

*Caution*

Old 30th June 2019, 04:03 PM   #449244  /  #2638
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
It's raining. Again.

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
ffejrxx (30th June 2019)
Old 1st July 2019, 12:16 PM   #449250  /  #2639
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Just wrapping up a camping trip. 3 nights.

Weather has been mostly about 15 or 16 C, with a great deal of rain.

I love summer.
nostrum (1st July 2019)
Old 1st July 2019, 09:49 PM   #449256  /  #2640
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: N?yfb
Me too. When does yours start?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 1st July 2019, 10:13 PM   #449257  /  #2641
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

From your question, I infer that 15 or 16 C doesn't sound much like summer to you.

Spoiler
TBH, it doesn't sound much like summer to me either.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:19 PM   #449258  /  #2642
gib
concerned third party

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: the thin one out of Laurel & Hardy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48795264
Old 1st July 2019, 11:14 PM   #449262  /  #2643
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...usands-to-flee

https://www.climatecentral.org/news/...-weather-20138

Last edited by Zeluvia; 1st July 2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:50 AM   #449265  /  #2644
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Truly amazing that "through no fault of their own" various burgeoning populations in drought prone areas experience hardships due to a lack of life giving water. Whatever could those populations have ever thought of doing?

Meanwhile forest fire(s) adjacent a major river in western Colorado a year or so ago resulted in a 100% fish kill in the river when seasonal rains washed an overwhelming amount of ash and debris into it. 100% kill. No survivors. Poor fishies.
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:20 AM   #449268  /  #2645
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

15-16C sounds like winter to me

eta it peaked at 18.9C on Sydney Harbour where I was today

Last edited by MSG; 2nd July 2019 at 08:23 AM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:26 PM   #449272  /  #2646
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
Truly amazing that "through no fault of their own" various burgeoning populations in drought prone areas experience hardships due to a lack of life giving water. Whatever could those populations have ever thought of doing?

Meanwhile forest fire(s) adjacent a major river in western Colorado a year or so ago resulted in a 100% fish kill in the river when seasonal rains washed an overwhelming amount of ash and debris into it. 100% kill. No survivors. Poor fishies.

Don't you live in Phoenix, Arizona? I think you guys have overstripped your reliable water supply too. As has much of Texas.

I feel a bit guilty for taking India's rain. And I am going to have to actually mow my "yard" this summer. Unthinkable.

The worst irony about India is that the government with the help of the WHO and other organizations has been really pushing to get indoor bathrooms in much of the rural areas, bathrooms they no longer have the water to flush with, and in fact probably didn't have the water to flush with in the first place.

Meanwhile, there is another crisis in the making. The floods this year in the Midwest seriously affected the Corn and Soybean crops, and not just this years' crops, they destroyed much of the "reserve" grains that were stored in silos. And the floods have affected the ability of the river barges to transport what grain is available in a timely manner to the Port at New Orleans for shipment overseas.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019...n-effects.html

Slow motion disaster dominoes.

Last edited by Zeluvia; 2nd July 2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:00 AM   #449276  /  #2647
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
15-16C sounds like winter to me

eta it peaked at 18.9C on Sydney Harbour where I was today
High today 19 C. In the forecast, highs are 19 C again tomorrow, 22 C Thursday, and ferociously hot Friday
Spoiler
I mean 27 C

but I won't complain, because the cold spring weather lasted ridiculously long this year, so I can handle a few scorchers.
borealis (6th July 2019), nostrum (3rd July 2019)
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:06 AM   #449281  /  #2648
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Here in Western Sydney the locals have been complaining about how cold it is. It peaked at
Spoiler
18C
today. At 6 pm it's still
Spoiler
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:10 AM   #449284  /  #2649
nostrum
too boring to be considered weird

Western Sydney

you actually admit to being there
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:11 AM   #449285  /  #2650
nostrum
too boring to be considered weird

shut up yeah I know where I live....if you call it living

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Tags
a berm!!11!!!11!11, chas n dave enter thread and decide to do one, climate change lol, female squeeze-out theory, flat earth, guys. no., innumerate and proud of it, itt coldies fight warmies, jerome is killing my forum enjoyment, jerome owns this gay thread, jfc zippy, manny the mammoth, msg has a point /notmsg, neil armstrong = omg aliens return, penis, perspective...the way the human eye works, puffary, raccoons and shovels, rubber ducky you make bathtime fun, the and of = 3 words, the and of = two words, this is not a drill, venn diagram needed itt, what fresh hell is this, yet another jerome-owned thread *sigh*