Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 2nd April 2014, 02:47 AM   #142134  /  #1
charlou
arseist

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: residing on a mote of dust in the universe
Bikers, motorbikes and riding

A new venture for us .. we're going to take a two day safe rider course and will likely be starting out with 250cc LAMS approved bike/s. We're yet to find/purchase, but the research is interesting and fun. We were thinking of buying a single new Suzuki TU250X to share, but now thinking we might find two reasonably low km second hand bikes for near the same price.

Anyone else here ride? Any thoughts, advice and anecdotes welcome.

Adenosine (24th April 2014), borealis (2nd April 2014), Magicziggy (2nd April 2014)
Old 2nd April 2014, 02:51 AM   #142136  /  #2
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
sexy
Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:34 AM   #142145  /  #3
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
Do you have income insurance?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:53 AM   #142149  /  #4
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Let me recommend face shields on your helmets.

Although my BiL tells me he once got a fair-sized bug that tasted exactly like licorice.

"You can't prove what tree the syrup came from."
borealis is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:22 PM   #142241  /  #5
charlou
arseist

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: residing on a mote of dust in the universe
Shades and a bandana for me.
Magicziggy (3rd April 2014), Majiffy (15th August 2014)
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:38 PM   #142243  /  #6
borealis
poikilothermic

A long time ago on a continent far away I used to be the passenger on the bf's touring BMW650. We went a lot of beautiful places and camped in magnificent style. One of the nicest things about that kind of travel is there's nothing between you and the air, the fragrance of everything. In the evening on a country road... so lovely.

Yay from
charlou (3rd April 2014), Magicziggy (3rd April 2014)
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:31 AM   #142253  /  #7
charlou
arseist

hayeah .....
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:39 AM   #142255  /  #8
Magicziggy
vandal

we are so doing this
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:44 AM   #142256  /  #9
borealis
poikilothermic

Be very careful, please, especially as new drivers. Wear all the gear. Doesn't have to be leather, there are oiled/waxed heavy canvas jackets and pants that work well for protection. Also are waterproof.

Old 3rd April 2014, 12:49 AM   #142257  /  #10
Magicziggy
vandal

atgatt
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:57 AM   #142259  /  #11
borealis
poikilothermic

I had a really nice waxed/oiled jacket I wore for years biking, was hip-length, belted, comfortable, lotsa pockets.

came with a pot of the soft wax for renewing every couple years if needed.

Old 3rd April 2014, 11:01 PM   #142331  /  #12
charlou
arseist

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Be very careful, please, especially as new drivers. Wear all the gear. Doesn't have to be leather, there are oiled/waxed heavy canvas jackets and pants that work well for protection. Also are waterproof.
We will x
Old 24th April 2014, 11:46 AM   #144886  /  #13
Magicziggy
vandal

We both now have motorbikes.
Mine is a '96 Suzuki GN250

Next, learning to ride
Yay from
Adenosine (24th April 2014), borealis (24th April 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 11:52 AM   #144889  /  #14
Adenosine
Needs essential amino acids

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Australia
Awesome!

Word of advice, don't come to Queensland. They'll lock you up for 25 years in solitary.

Pity though, there are many lovely bike roads here.
Adenosine is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
charlou (24th April 2014), Magicziggy (24th April 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 11:59 AM   #144892  /  #15
borealis
poikilothermic

Congrats!

Stay upright. Except on the curves, you should lean a bit then.

Yay from
Magicziggy (24th April 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 12:07 PM   #144896  /  #16
charlou
arseist

So looking forward to getting out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenosine View Post
Word of advice, don't come to Queensland. They'll lock you up for 25 years in solitary.
Absurdland, more like. :l
Adenosine (2nd May 2014), Magicziggy (24th April 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 12:20 PM   #144899  /  #17
borealis
poikilothermic

True story:

My first time as passenger on a motorbike, friend driving me almost 400km home for a long weekend. There's an almost hairpin turn right after this bit, that takes you down to the water:

Friend had never driven here and thought I was exaggerating about the curve. I've never had pavement so close to my face while riding.

Yay from
charlou (4th May 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 01:31 PM   #144914  /  #18
Dionysus
absinthe minded

That looks like a classic bikers road with colossal views.

I've always been a two-wheeler but now don't have engines anymore. Here's my last motorised version in a 15 yo photo

BMW K100 with a Rickman fairing and the other is my mate's Moto Guzzi California. *Sigh* but I loved that machine. It was already getting on for 20 yo when I bought it off a bloke in Montrose for 1500, spent about a grand on a total overhaul by some very competent mechanics in the Hague and rode it all over Europe with camping gear in one pannier and spare clothes in the other. Never let me down and kept it for 10 years.

You guys have fun - there really isn't anything quite like it
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
charlou (4th May 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 01:45 PM   #144925  /  #19
borealis
poikilothermic

BMWs are the best for camping/touring, at least in my limited experience.

Once rode several hundred km. on the back of an antique hard tail Harley. Beautiful machine but my god NOT comfortable. Bikers at the destination called me 'ma'am' when they knew how far we'd driven.

Yay from
charlou (4th May 2014)
Old 24th April 2014, 02:10 PM   #144981  /  #20
Dionysus
absinthe minded

Lol yeah, people will respect that. I was once back packing around in the States and got picked up by a miner in his truck in death valley - don't ask. He stopped for gas at a station somewhere near Tonopah and there was an old black & white cop bike for sale - Kawasaki Z1300 going for about $700 iirc and I was so tempted. Would have knocked a serious hole in the budget and guess I didn't for fear it would pack up 50 miles down the road and the resale problem when my visa ran out but in retrospect - I should've done it. Could have been CHIPS for a while!
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
charlou (4th May 2014)
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:14 PM   #147562  /  #21
Magicziggy
vandal

enjoying watching this series
Yay from
charlou (4th May 2014)
Old 4th May 2014, 03:06 AM   #147881  /  #22
charlou
arseist

Missed these earlier ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
True story:

My first time as passenger on a motorbike, friend driving me almost 400km home for a long weekend. There's an almost hairpin turn right after this bit, that takes you down to the water:

Friend had never driven here and thought I was exaggerating about the curve. I've never had pavement so close to my face while riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
That looks like a classic bikers road with colossal views.

I've always been a two-wheeler but now don't have engines anymore. Here's my last motorised version in a 15 yo photo

BMW K100 with a Rickman fairing and the other is my mate's Moto Guzzi California. *Sigh* but I loved that machine. It was already getting on for 20 yo when I bought it off a bloke in Montrose for 1500, spent about a grand on a total overhaul by some very competent mechanics in the Hague and rode it all over Europe with camping gear in one pannier and spare clothes in the other. Never let me down and kept it for 10 years.

You guys have fun - there really isn't anything quite like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Lol yeah, people will respect that. I was once back packing around in the States and got picked up by a miner in his truck in death valley - don't ask. He stopped for gas at a station somewhere near Tonopah and there was an old black & white cop bike for sale - Kawasaki Z1300 going for about $700 iirc and I was so tempted. Would have knocked a serious hole in the budget and guess I didn't for fear it would pack up 50 miles down the road and the resale problem when my visa ran out but in retrospect - I should've done it. Could have been CHIPS for a while!
Really like reading about your experiences ... builds on the anticipation and motivation. Thanks guys.
borealis (4th May 2014)
Old 4th May 2014, 03:44 AM   #147884  /  #23
borealis
poikilothermic

Tell you another one, then.

One late August we were touring Les Iles de la Magdalenes, which is an arc of islands strung together by white sand beaches. Belongs to Quebec, people are mostly unilingual Francophones but the nicest people ever.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Les+Il...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

It's intensely beautiful and once you're a couple km. out on the 15km long beaches you can wander along naked because no one will see you. Except once, when fortuitously we did have clothes on, this... beat up ancient dune buggy... drove by full of young men, some of them standing, and their hair - this was mid 70s and they looked as if they'd driven directly out of a 1950 film about bad boys in duck tails. They didn't seem to see us, just sped by laughing and holding their beers up, looking straight ahead.

There are uncountable species of seabirds; it's so far North and so quiet. If you zoom in on the google sat. photo I linked you can see that between the dune walls behind the beaches, there is salt marsh. One day we were way out, walking along the marsh and came on a council of crows. A couple hundred were settled chatting on the flats, and on a sort of flat area half way up the dunes (big dunes) there were about ten crows. And one crow would fly to the big flock and there's be a lot of crow talk. Then another crow, or the same one, would fly back to the small group and more crow talk would ensue. We were awestruck, and climbed back over to the beach, not wanting to disturb them too much.

Another day, at the more western hilly/cliffy end of the arc, we were coming up on a blind right curve on a steep hill. Looking down the hill to the left I could see three men slowly walking up the field, and something about their body language... I grew up among farms. I made contact with my bf as fast as possible, which in those days of heavy helmets and no communication devices meant pounding him on the shoulder and yelling at the top of my lungs, and made him slow right down. Sure enough, right on the road around the bend was the bull the farmers were trying to recapture.

They have delicious home smoked fish and interesting herb mixes and lots of fishing boats and plenty of history. I don't think being in a car would have been anywhere near as satisfying.

Yay from
charlou (4th May 2014)
Old 4th May 2014, 04:15 AM   #147887  /  #24
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
these islands, in the Gulf of St Lawrence? Les les-de-la-Madeleine, QC - rather cool spot...
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Les...01604eaafbf8d2
Old 4th May 2014, 04:30 AM   #147889  /  #25
borealis
poikilothermic

Beautiful place, and yes, that's where they are. It's very exposed and pretty cold until late july. Early sept. is a good time to go because all the Quebec teenagers have gone back to school and the water is at its warmest.

We were caught in a gale on a clifftop campground on the west end once and it was a terrifying night. In the morning our tent was the only one standing, only because it was one of those Black's A-frame ones that looks like a limpet and can be lowered from almost 2m high to 1m high. We had it as close to the ground as it could go and us still have room under it. Kept us dry but the noise of the wind and rain, didn't sleep at all.

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
penis