Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 16th November 2016, 06:02 PM   #363287  /  #1
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
What are you reading?

...and on a scale of 1: not at all, it is a noble educative tome to 10: am hiding it inside the cover of Brideshead Revisited, how ashamed of it are you?
Old 16th November 2016, 06:07 PM   #363289  /  #2
Imp
Inanimate bowl of pasta

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: As far away from Bison as possible
Your post. Definitely a 10.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 16th November 2016, 06:11 PM   #363291  /  #3
borealis
poikilothermic

I am reading the third Dorothy Sayers 1930s detective novels in two days. (Strong Poison, Gaudy Night, Busman's Honeymoon)

Giving them solid 4s, because it's the three most shamelessly romantic of her output.
Old 16th November 2016, 06:14 PM   #363292  /  #4
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Your post. Definitely a 10.
Well done! Soon you'll be up to reading something as long as a pamphlet or single page flier!
Old 16th November 2016, 06:36 PM   #363293  /  #5
Imp
Inanimate bowl of pasta

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: As far away from Bison as possible
Sorry can you break that post up I wanna see how it ends.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Majiffy (17th November 2016), rachmarie (17th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016, 08:38 PM   #363301  /  #6
Facetious
The Ultimate People's Champion

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: it's grim up north
Gray's Anatomy: Selected Writings by John Gray.

I'd probably go for 1. It's the sort of book I'd quite happily sit in a coffee shop reading smugly if it weren't for the fact it's on my kindle. I could still read it smugly but nobody would know what I was reading.
Facetious is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 16th November 2016, 09:17 PM   #363307  /  #7
borealis
poikilothermic

Snob.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:42 PM   #363309  /  #8
Facetious

I think this is more pretentious wanker than snob.

ETA: If you'd started this thread yesterday I was reading a 5. I wouldn't mind people seeing me reading but I feel awkward telling them about the plot. Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik. It's essentially Hornblower with Dragons. And for those of you who don't know the Hornblower series - Napoleonic era adventures of rising star in Nelson's Navy, excellent excellent books.

Last edited by Facetious; 16th November 2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:15 PM   #363317  /  #9
nostrum
too boring to be considered weird

I read my stuff on iBooks does this make me wanker or snob
Old 16th November 2016, 10:24 PM   #363322  /  #10
borealis
poikilothermic

Neither, I should think. I've been reading Sayers in my browser, mostly.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:51 PM   #363332  /  #11
OmicronPersei8
Declared candidate for Best Poster 2017 of the fuckin decade

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Gib's
The Office of the Apostle by Walter Schmithals

Jerome: My mistake.
OmicronPersei8 is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 16th November 2016, 11:00 PM   #363334  /  #12
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
A collection of columns by Stewart Lee
https://www.amazon.com/Content-Provi.../dp/0571329020

Here's one from 2012..

Quote:
How I was busted by the O------ Advertisement Enforcement Office

"Visiting athletes enjoying their first taste of an East End curry have just discovered a new purpose for their Olympic Rings!" That was the tweet that started it all. Fans of me and my comedy work will know I am an inescapable presence on the Twitter social networking site and have more than 900,000 followers. It's not an ego thing. Drip-feeding a few gags every 20 minutes helps me to maintain my customer base and the discipline of being humorous in 140 characters or fewer forces me to develop different kinds of comedy from the multi-award-winning, long-form, idea-driven monologues I am best known for. When you've won two British Comedy awards, a Bafta and a Chortle award all in the same year, it's easy to rest on your laurels and I find that grappling with Twitter's stylistic limitations helps me keep my wits sharp and my comedy muscle match-fit.

The throwaway Olympic Ring gag isn't among my best work, admittedly, drawing as it does a simple and direct comedic comparison between the Olympic Rings themselves and the perhaps inflamed anuses of visiting Olympians who might perhaps have gone out for a curry in the East End of London, maybe around Brick Lane, and who might then perhaps have ordered a dish that was somewhat hotter than advisable, perhaps leading to soreness later when defecating. I'm not saying this did happen or ever will happen. It probably didn't and probably never will. What I am saying is that if it did happen, and the information that it had happened were somehow to leak out into the public domain, then there would be more than ample opportunity for we satirists to use the word "ring" in both its Olympic and its rectal sense.

Anyway, the gag, which I made on the Twitter network three days ago, wasn't intended to be analysed to death. It was just supposed to be a bit of spur-of-the-moment fun, something to keep my fans in the loop and my follower numbers up until the next pithy bon mot, although I noticed David Baddiel had re-tweeted it to Jonathan Ross, who in turn had re-tweeted it to United Nations secretary general Ban Ki-moon, who in turn had re-tweeted it to Ricky Gervais, who had then sent it to all his followers, without clear attribution, sadly. But what I could not have anticipated was the Olympic ring of fire that the gag would cause to surround me over the next 48 hours.

I wasn't aware of the extent to which unauthorised use of key Olympic phrases is being policed during the Games this year. Nearly 300 "Advertisement Enforcement Officers" are on hand to ensure that only the Olympics' official sponsors get sole commercial use of a list of Olympics-associated phrases so extensive it even includes "summer", "bronze" and "London".

Astonishingly, an independent butcher, Dennis Spurr of Weymouth, has already been told to remove a sign showing his bespoke sausages in the shape of Olympic rings. Had I known this, I perhaps wouldn't have been so surprised when, on Friday at 5am, a team of a dozen Olympic Advertisement Enforcement Officers dressed in matching McDonald's- and Coca-Cola-branded NBC suits battered down my door and pinned me up against a bookcase while my wife and children looked on in horror.

Once the hoo-hah had died down and I had tweeted my near-million followers to tell them I was OK, we all sat around the conservatory table with a pot of tea. While the Olympic Advertisement Enforcement Officers regretted their heavy- handed entrance, it transpired that the problem was that there was already a precedent for action against an Olympic Rings/anus comparison.

Last week, a cheeky chemist in Truro, Paul Deakley, put up a humorous handmade sign, written in marker pen, saying: "This summer, why not soothe your Olympic Rings with Anusol." Even though the haemorrhoid ointment manufacturers had not asked Deakley to advertise their product in any manner at all, let alone such a controversial one, it was decided that Deakley's business, which is not an official Olympic sponsor, was profiting by association with the Olympics. (Obviously I hadn't known this Deakley guy had already done an Olympic Rings/anus gag, and if I had I wouldn't have done mine, but it is difficult for professional comics to stay ahead of the pack now that any amateur clown has access to Twitter, online blogs, cardboard and marker pens.) But either way, Deakley's Olympic Ring joke counts as "ambush marketing" and it's just the sort of thing the Olympic Advertisement Enforcement Officers are cracking down on.

"But hang on," I said. "My Olympic Rings tweet was just a joke. It had no commercial application." "Well, we would argue that it did," offered the lead Olympic Advertisement Enforcement Officer, Leslie Macintosh, and asked me what I thought the point of my Twitter feed was.

Without thinking it through, I answered: "Well, to flex my comedy muscle and to maintain links with the people who come and see me live and buy all my DVDs."

"Exactly," she said. "So in other words your appropriation of the Olympic symbol served the purpose of furthering your own business interests. We're not monsters. We can't, and wouldn't, stop an ordinary member of the public using the phrase 'Olympic rings' to another member of the public, even if they were using it as a euphemism for anuses, but the fact that you can generate increased income by using the phrase means you are in contravention of our sponsors' agreements."

I packed a bag and said goodbye to my children. Leslie had explained the official questioning process might take some days. "I don't understand," said my son through his tears. "Am I allowed to say 'Olympics' or not?"

"Yes," I told him. "I think you are allowed to say 'Olympics'. But I'm not sure that I'm allowed to quote you saying the word 'Olympics' in a piece I might write for money. It's all very confusing."

I spent the next 48 hours waiting to be processed, sitting on a stone bench in a damp cell in Newham. By the end of the ordeal I had Olympic Ring problems of my own but realised it wouldn't be appropriate to tell my million-plus Twitter followers anything about that!
Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Facetious (16th November 2016), Zeluvia (17th November 2016)
Old 17th November 2016, 12:20 AM   #363364  /  #13
Majiffy
Grissle Hardman, The MR Mafia Honey Badger

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
I had started reading Hunter S. Thompson's Better Than Sex: On The Campaign Trail '92, but I don't really have free time for reading much these days so I haven't gotten more than a chapter in.

Nowadays I am reading about coding FFTs, DFTs and FHTs so I can start writing the program for our lighting system.

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
rachmarie (17th November 2016)
Old 17th November 2016, 12:45 AM   #363376  /  #14
rachmarie
Equi-Feminist Extraordinaire

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY in Summer 2017
Dude send me a pm that explains those coding types a bit more, I might be able to get some pointers from peeps where to find info on them.

I know a lot of code monkeys in my biz friends

Is not a Jiffy alt sock
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 17th November 2016, 12:51 AM   #363377  /  #15
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
An old History of Religion Textbook, that has a terrible patriarchial bias I never noticed before...

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Majiffy (17th November 2016), rachmarie (18th November 2016)
Old 17th November 2016, 01:01 AM   #363378  /  #16
OmicronPersei8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
An old History of Religion Textbook, that has a terrible patriarchial bias I never noticed before...
I watched a translated from German show on Stone age structures, it had an interesting antiXtian/pronewthoughtpaganplusscience bias, plus the directness of the Jermans was cool.

It was like ancient aliens but not as overthetop

Old 17th November 2016, 01:04 AM   #363379  /  #17
rachmarie
Equi-Feminist Extraordinaire

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY in Summer 2017
Reading lately include:

Leighann Dobbs (one of my good writer friends who is doing amazingly well in her self publishing biz with her books). I have almost every book she has written.

https://www.amazon.com/Leighann-Dobb..._cont_ebooks_1

Just picked up Spell Disaster in her Silver Hollow Paranormal Cozy Mystery series

Rebecca Patrick Howard

Just finished reading book 1 and book 2 in her Kentucky Witches series. She is my friend in KY I mentioned in the US politics thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Rebecca-Patri...9343878&sr=1-1

Ruby Blaylock

Another writer friend also majorly into cozy mysteries. Recently finished Corpses and Conmen (Rosewood Place Mystery) and That Witch Does Not Kill You (first of her Hedgewood Paranormal Mysteries.)

https://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Blaylock...9344095&sr=1-1

Is not a Jiffy alt sock
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 18th November 2016, 10:16 PM   #363763  /  #18
borealis
poikilothermic

I'm on Josephine Tey now, finished A Shilling for Candles and To Love and Be Wise, rates a 3 or better I think.
Old 19th November 2016, 10:21 PM   #363866  /  #19
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Here is a great summary of the history of Syria.

It is as usual all Britian's and France's fault, with a large dose of the US CIA thrown in.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...-assad/281989/

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 26th November 2016, 12:33 PM   #364462  /  #20
OmicronPersei8

The Three Body problem, translated Chinamen scifi

Old 26th November 2016, 01:21 PM   #364469  /  #21
Carlsson
Best poster 2016

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Sweden
the girl on the train

lol women
Carlsson is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 29th November 2016, 03:18 AM   #364729  /  #22
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
In the past week:

Stanley And The Women, Kingsley Amis

Tender Is The Night, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Verdict: books about drunken men by drunken men are not my cup of tea
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (29th November 2016)
Old 29th November 2016, 03:27 AM   #364731  /  #23
Majiffy
Grissle Hardman, The MR Mafia Honey Badger

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
Oh I'll spare you my novel then

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 29th November 2016, 04:35 AM   #364733  /  #24
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader ($7.99 US, copyright 2004 by the Estate of Robert Ludlum). Lustbader, what a great name says my imagination.

- A reread for me. Had forgotten that Bourne is hunted and attacked by his dead son, now a vicious international assassin/torturer named Khan. In first 120 pages, several hand to hand fights, escapes/breaks, then fights anew). My short-term memory is shit, fortunately there aren't too many continuing characters to remember - twelve or so, thus far.
Old 29th November 2016, 11:26 PM   #364811  /  #25
Facetious

Still working my way through John Gray's selected writings.

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile