Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Human Endeavour

Human Endeavour Includes thinking really hard...

Old 19th March 2012, 09:58 AM   #30373  /  #1
charlou
arseist

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: residing on a mote of dust in the universe
Victorian duck season

Duck hunters call it tradition .. Animal welfare protesters say it's a brutal activity. Is it possible to both promote hunting and conserve wildlife? This is the task of Game Victoria's wildlife officers during the 2012 duck season which opened on March 17 in Victoria.

The state's coalition government is promoting duck season, encouraging hunters to participate in the shooting of up to ten birds per hunter per day for twelve weeks.

SMH article

Last edited by charlou; 19th March 2012 at 10:26 AM.
charlou is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 19th March 2012, 12:52 PM   #30380  /  #2
Adenosine
Needs essential amino acids

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Australia
I don't get the point. They're ducks. They aren't dangerous, they aren't a pest, they don't kill people. Why kill them?
Adenosine is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 19th March 2012, 02:21 PM   #30381  /  #3
nick
Janitor

Wabbit season!
nick is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 19th March 2012, 02:53 PM   #30386  /  #4
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
I heard about this on the radio the other day. The shooters are citing the bumper numbers due to flood waters as being proof that their "sport" doesn't do the duck population any lasting damage. The spokesman was quite convincing. Unfortunately the anti- hunt spokesman wasn't quite as convincing. This abc report contains basically some of what I heard.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...16/3455094.htm

Quote:
"....Even though birds are breeding up because there's more water now, they're going to have to cope with more El Ninos in the future, climate change, and birds - more than any other species - are going to be drastically affected by that....."
It seems those passionate about saving the ducks have given up on the emotional argument over a half-baked scientific one. They need to rethink their strategy if they want to be heard. Or at least have some hard evidence to back up their claims.
Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 19th March 2012, 03:42 PM   #30389  /  #5
Hermit
Innocent bystander

What a sporting tradition indeed. Vaguely aiming a weapon that spreads deadly pellets over a large area in the general direction of a passing animal takes so much skill. And think of the bravery involved. Ducks are notorious for their vicious quacking sounds. Next: Chicken hunting. If you're not up to it, start with earthworms.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 19th March 2012, 04:21 PM   #30394  /  #6
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elouise View Post
Duck hunters call it tradition .. Animal welfare protesters say it's a brutal activity. Is it possible to both promote hunting and conserve wildlife? This is the task of Game Victoria's wildlife officers during the 2012 duck season which opened on March 17 in Victoria.

The state's coalition government is promoting duck season, encouraging hunters to participate in the shooting of up to ten birds per hunter per day for twelve weeks.

SMH article
The bag limit seems high. Also, does Australia/each state not differentiate bag limits among species?

Here there is an over all per day limit of five or six, with ten in your possession, but depending on what kind of duck you can only possess smaller numbers within the bag limit.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/defaul...69D0-1#_docBag
Old 20th March 2012, 11:09 AM   #30566  /  #7
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
The arguments for and against duck hunting are hard to sustain on the basis of conservation. The allowable target species of duck aren't immediately threatened by hunting, although others are, and there is always a percentage of non-target species killed. Over the decades government legislation was tightened to force duck hunters to complete an identification test as a condition of receiving their licence, which has reduced but not eliminated the killing of protected species.

Most of the duck shooting is done at Duck Opening, i.e. the first weekend. A lot of the shooters camp out and at least these days it's policed well enough that they don't start before dawn, letting fly at anything that moves while still tanked up on a bellyful of booze. Not many continue shooting throughout the season, fortunately, so the bag limits are misleading.

The argument for and against duck shooting is an emotional one. I'm a lifelong bird lover, and a member of BirdLife Australia and other bird conservation groups, so for me it's wrong. But for shooters duck hunting is a birthright. My grandfather loved duck shooting. But now it just seems an anachronism, which has been banned in the rest of the country besides the State of Victoria.

But good luck trying to change State Government policy on it. The rural rump aka the National Party hold the Cabinet positions in Sustainability and Environment, Emergency Services and Primary Industry. As a result their first act in government was to re-introduce cattle grazing into the Alpine National Park. Duck hunting is just par for the course.

The latest thing that has got me up in arms is the Government response to the Bushfire Royal Commission, which included a ridiculous recommendation that 5% of all public land in Victoria - nearly 400,000 hectares or a million acres - be burnt annually in "fuel reduction burns". This came after 172 people died in fires in February 2009, but since then the 10-year drought has broken.

The result is, in order to meet the target, the Department of Sustainability and Environment has to burn large areas in National Parks, with the largest being where the fewest number of people will be affected. It's cheaper to burn where there are no houses to protect - in other words, they burn most where the benefit to public safety will be least.

If that wasn't enough, we have now learned that because it has rained so much in the Alps in eastern Victoria, they are going to burn twice as much this year in the drier west of the state. I say "we" because I am a member of the Victorian Malleefowl Recovery Group, which conducts a research program for a threatened bird that builds mound nests in dry bush called mallee. It has a clear preference for long-unburned mallee (30 years plus) for its nesting sites, and a 5% annual burn target - meaning everything gets burnt every 20 years - could drive them to extinction.

To say we are pissed off would not do it justice.
Old 20th March 2012, 03:06 PM   #30581  /  #8
gib
Volunteer

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: the thin one out of Laurel & Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The argument for and against duck shooting is an emotional one. I'm a lifelong bird lover, and a member of BirdLife Australia and other bird conservation groups, so for me it's wrong.
how is shooting birds for the table any worse than farming them?
Old 20th March 2012, 04:58 PM   #30611  /  #9
oblivion
Asylum

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Norton's Empire
every time I read the thread title I picture something like this.

oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 20th March 2012, 11:56 PM   #30698  /  #10
Adenosine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
Quote:
The argument for and against duck shooting is an emotional one. I'm a lifelong bird lover, and a member of BirdLife Australia and other bird conservation groups, so for me it's wrong.
If that is what they were doing I'd be okay with it but the birds don't get eaten, too full of birdshot. And with a bag limit of ten birds a day that's a lot of duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
every time I read the thread title I picture something like this.

When in reality it's more like this:

Old 21st March 2012, 12:27 AM   #30707  /  #11
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Quote:
Quote:
The hunters aren't hunting for food, but for sport. They can buy ducks or chooks from the supermarket.

There is little enough of the natural environment left that in my opinion the ducks should be left alone. It's unnecessary. If they want to shoot for sport there are ample rabbits, foxes, feral pigs, goats etc. we could well do without.

Our State still has an open season on quail, even though most quail species are really endangered.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:23 AM   #30743  /  #12
borealis
poikilothermic

Yeah, that sounds a bit stupid.

We eat the ducks here. My husband doesn't hunt, but friends always give us several ducks and geese. I don't know about the city hunters that come out though.

I know nothing about actual shooting of ducks, but I've never found more than three or four pellets in a duck, and they are usually easy to find. Then again, these are people who've hunted for food most of their lives, so pretty good at it. Also, some of the ducks mentioned in the Nova Scotia hunting regs I posted earlier are simply not edible for most people. Scoters, for example, generally taste terrible, nobody I know shoots them.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:29 AM   #30747  /  #13
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

I'm not saying they don't eat the ducks. Some do, maybe most, especially the serious hunters that shoot all through the season. But none of them need to hunt for food.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:32 AM   #30748  /  #14
borealis
poikilothermic

No, Aden said they didn't get eaten.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:40 AM   #30754  /  #15
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

journalistic licence
Old 21st March 2012, 02:52 AM   #30769  /  #16
PermanentlyEphemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenosine View Post
When in reality it's more like this:

Isn't it bad enough he has to go through life with a little ass on his chin but you also have to mock him by posting his photo?
PermanentlyEphemeral is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 21st March 2012, 03:57 AM   #30773  /  #17
Adenosine

I'm sure his Mummy loves him very much.
Old 21st March 2012, 07:49 AM   #30784  /  #18
Amok

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nova Scotia
Quote:
Borealis wrote:
I don't know about the city hunters that come out though.
I only know a couple of people who hunt, and they live in the city. But they grew up in the country.

I know more people who fish than hunt. They all grew up in the country, too.
Amok is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 21st March 2012, 11:43 AM   #30789  /  #19
gib
Volunteer

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: the thin one out of Laurel & Hardy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The hunters aren't hunting for food, but for sport. They can buy ducks or chooks from the supermarket.

There is little enough of the natural environment left that in my opinion the ducks should be left alone. It's unnecessary. If they want to shoot for sport there are ample rabbits, foxes, feral pigs, goats etc. we could well do without.

Our State still has an open season on quail, even though most quail species are really endangered.
ok so it seems there's some debate on whether all the ducks get eaten and i'm not here to defend killing for sport. However, you haven't really answered my question.

the environmental argument you present is far from compelling when you consider the environmental impact of raising fowl in captivity
Old 21st March 2012, 11:45 AM   #30790  /  #20
gib
Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenosine View Post
that's not far off my mental picture of jerome!
Old 21st March 2012, 01:46 PM   #30795  /  #21
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ok so it seems there's some debate on whether all the ducks get eaten and i'm not here to defend killing for sport. However, you haven't really answered my question.

the environmental argument you present is far from compelling when you consider the environmental impact of raising fowl in captivity
2 different arguments

my argument is not about environment if by that you mean carbon footprint (if not, what else?)

it could be about conservation of the natural world which is shot to pieces by human impacts; but as I implied in my first post, common game species don't appeared to be threatened with imminent extinction from duck-hunting.

my opposition is based on an emotional argument. duck shooting is an anachronism. none of the shooters need to shoot our protected native species for food, and in my opinion our native species' intrinsic value should be too great to permit them to be shot.

on the other hand, there are some anti-duck hunting advocates who turn up in the swamps on duck opening to scare off the ducks and pick up dead birds to display for the media on the steps of parliament. I'm not one of them. I would rather go into bat for other conservation issues involving species that are threatened with extinction.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:48 PM   #30796  /  #22
gib
Volunteer

no point in arguing with you if you're going to be reasonable
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:56 AM   #30925  /  #23
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

if you want an argument you'll have to stand in the far queue.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:12 PM   #30935  /  #24
gib
Volunteer

is that another weird Aussie sex thing?
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:15 PM   #30970  /  #25
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

no,it's pretty simple.far queue mate, far queue

:p
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Human Endeavour