Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Human Endeavour

Human Endeavour Includes thinking really hard...

Old 7th June 2012, 11:03 AM   #47865  /  #1
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
Education reform

Saw this today for the first time although it appears to have been around a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

So how should education change? Does Sir Ken have it right?

I think he's not far off the mark but it's like trying to get the Titanic to execute a handbrake turn.
Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 8th June 2012, 12:47 AM   #48031  /  #2
ericv00

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Seattle
I feel that education should happen "in the field". What I mean is that people should be given TOOLS, like maths, concepts, and hardware in real world situations. They should be given a series of problems and asked to find solutions, only a helping hand from the instructor in bridging gaps where they happen and ensuring safety.

Let mistakes happen, let the student find the answer on their own. Let them attack the problems they want to attack in the way they want to attack them.

One of the biggest problems I encountered in the education system was having teachers that didn't know the material themselves, and I sometimes wonder if standardization is more of an aid to teachers who are unqualified than anything else. Far too often, just a modest look deeper into a subject beyond a class I had sent me beyond the teachers capacity to answer questions or understand what I was explaining and doing. ESPECIALLY in any biology-related class.
Old 8th June 2012, 01:12 AM   #48033  /  #3
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
As a teacher, I would be far more suited to a reformed system rather than the production line we are currently in. I've never really been a good fit for that. However the school I am in is paying lip service to this notion of reform. It actually needs to be structural from the very highest level of administration and that simply is not going to happen in the next 15 years. By then I hope to be tending my garden, baking bread and planning our next adventure.
Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Human Endeavour