Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 11th July 2020, 07:20 AM   #460656  /  #3001
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
We've been sleeping in the basement where it is probably a 26-27 degree temperature.
When my mom is here, she sleeps in the basement - so the a/c unit is greatly needed upstairs.
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 11th July 2020, 09:12 AM   #460664  /  #3002
Prince Humperdinck

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: 'Murica
Quote:

The other day it was 52% humidity.
Bless your heart.

Quote:
The bedroom stays consistent at 32 degrees (90 degrees F), and the house is at 30 degrees (86F), while Liv's bedroom is at 28 C (82.4).
That's unbearable. You definitely need A/C.

Quote:
Last night I ordered a portable a/c unit for the bedroom. Most were out of stock, but I managed to find one online that said they could deliver between July 11-13. But then after ordering, it said due to delivery demands, there's a possibility it would be late. I'm obviously expecting it maybe mid week next week, or even a bit later.
Where do you live? You don't have a local hardware store that has them in stock? Window units are not hard to install, just make sure your electrical circuit can handle it.

Quote:
We've been sleeping in the basement where it is probably a 26-27 degree temperature.
Good plan. Though that seems a bit warm for a basement in my experience.
Old 11th July 2020, 09:21 AM   #460665  /  #3003
Prince Humperdinck

Quote:
Heat Advisory issued July 11 at 2:23AM CDT until July 11 at 8:00PM CDT by NWS Houston - Galveston

...HEAT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 PM CDT THIS EVENING... * WHAT...Heat index values peaking as high as 110 degrees.
Looking at my local hourly forecast our high will be 96 or 97 with humidity around 44%. But as the temp goes down in the evening the humidity climbs up. RIght now (3:30 am) it's 77 with 100% humidity.
Old 11th July 2020, 10:30 AM   #460668  /  #3004
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Humperdinck View Post
Quote:
Heat Advisory issued July 11 at 2:23AM CDT until July 11 at 8:00PM CDT by NWS Houston - Galveston

...HEAT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 PM CDT THIS EVENING... * WHAT...Heat index values peaking as high as 110 degrees.
Looking at my local hourly forecast our high will be 96 or 97 with humidity around 44%. But as the temp goes down in the evening the humidity climbs up. RIght now (3:30 am) it's 77 with 100% humidity.
why does the humidity rise in the evening?

I just took the temp in the basement right now - it's 26 (78.8). It's a split level house, so not truly a basement, basement.

Also, I live in the suburds of Montreal. I checked all the hardware stores here, everything sold out.

Actually, last night, I was in the process of buying a 12k BTU a/c, that said it had express delivery available. About 30 minutes later, that option became null.

So I went with the only one available - 8k BTU, that had delivery available. Everything was sold out, for delivery and pick up in store.

How are you guys managing ?
Old 11th July 2020, 11:30 AM   #460669  /  #3005
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Down here, everyone has central AC.

Drying your sweat doesn't really help cool you that much, because it's the evaporation of sweat that pulls heat off your skin and cools the body. Fans can help with the evaporation, but the higher the humidity the worse it gets.

Timewave had a good suggestion, a cold pack of frozen peas to the back of the neck helps. So does being as naked as possible.

PH is right, where he lives, after the sun goes down, the moisture in the air increases. The sun actually helps burn the moisture out of the air.

It's 5:30 am here, and its 78 degrees with 88% humidity. I do have the windows open, I open them about 3 am. It's sticky and yucky but I am drinking ice water : ) I will have to close the windows by 9:00 am and turn on the AC.

May I suggest these for you and the kids?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTZWW22...osi&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by Zeluvia; 11th July 2020 at 11:34 AM.
Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 11th July 2020, 04:57 PM   #460671  /  #3006
Mantisdreamz

^it's funny you mention those; I had to go to Canadian Tire last night for a new can opener, and kept my eye open for popsicle molds. Didn't see any, so I suppose I could just order them online.. Liv likes the smoothies I make, so I figure I could just put them in popsicle form. Also could start sneaking in some veggies. And yeah, obviously good for the heat.

88% humidity.. uggh. That's awful ??
Old 11th July 2020, 07:52 PM   #460673  /  #3007
Prince Humperdinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Well, every house made in the last 50 years or so. My step-daughter is in an old house near downtown that has been converted into 4 apartments. No central air, hence the story about the window unit last weekend.

We dont bother opening our windows in the summer. Just running the AC 24/7
Old 11th July 2020, 09:09 PM   #460675  /  #3008
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Well, every house made in the last 50 years or so. My step-daughter is in an old house near downtown that has been converted into 4 apartments. No central air, hence the story about the window unit last weekend.

We dont bother opening our windows in the summer. Just running the AC 24/7

Well, you don't have a bird/squirrel feeder outside a window and a cat that insists he get to watch AND smell them every morning!

Old 12th July 2020, 01:01 AM   #460680  /  #3009
Mantisdreamz

Quote:
Quote:

The other day it was 52% humidity.
Bless your heart.
This had to be wrong. It's right now 27 C with 87% humidity, and it doesn't feel too bad outside, in comparison to the other day. I don't know what I was looking at.
Old 13th July 2020, 05:08 PM   #460695  /  #3010
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
It's 25 and 72% here right now. Liveable but can't be too active or it gets unpleasant.
Old 13th July 2020, 11:47 PM   #460707  /  #3011
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
It's 25 and 72% here right now. Liveable but can't be too active or it gets unpleasant.
Everyone knows that if you sit naked on a metal chair in a room at 82F / 28C you'll shiver.

Old 19th July 2020, 09:17 AM   #460908  /  #3012
Mantisdreamz

Quote:

Actually, last night, I was in the process of buying a 12k BTU a/c, that said it had express delivery available. About 30 minutes later, that option became null.

So I went with the only one available - 8k BTU, that had delivery available. Everything was sold out, for delivery and pick up in store.
Home Depot cancelled the shipment after the date that it was supposed to be here. That's what they do. I used to work for them.. so, I should have known better.
Old 25th July 2020, 08:29 PM   #461027  /  #3013
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Have been waiting all day for rain. According to the detailed radar map, it rained here, yet nothing is wet! It dried before it hit the ground I guess : )

Don't hog it all PH. Let those hurricane bands come on through!

Old 29th July 2020, 01:22 AM   #461069  /  #3014
Mantisdreamz

Yesterday was another heat wave, and I read on the weather network, that it was going to carry on for the whole week, up until Saturday, with chance of thunderstorm each day.

So, I went out and bought a dehumidifier yesterday. They had a whole shipment at Canadian Tire.

When going upstairs, at the house, the air felt and also smelled like a swamp. It actually smelled like river water inside the house. We are near a river.

After buying it, the instructions said that after moving it upright and into place, it needs to sit there for 24 hours before turning the unit on. Weird. So, it was no use as of yesterday.

Today is not as muggy, so we moved it to the basement and the air is better there now.

I figured I'd get this over a portable a/c because its movable. The garage and bathroom in the garage needs it. There's a slight mildewy smell.

Hopefully this will help the upstairs area when it gets that soupy swamp feel, though.
Yay from
Zeluvia (29th July 2020)

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Tags
a berm!!11!!!11!11, chas n dave enter thread and decide to do one, climate change lol, female squeeze-out theory, flat earth, guys. no., innumerate and proud of it, itt coldies fight warmies, jerome is killing my forum enjoyment, jerome owns this gay thread, jfc zippy, manny the mammoth, msg has a point /notmsg, neil armstrong = omg aliens return, penis, perspective...the way the human eye works, puffary, raccoons and shovels, rubber ducky you make bathtime fun, the and of = 3 words, the and of = two words, this is not a drill, venn diagram needed itt, what fresh hell is this, yet another jerome-owned thread *sigh*