Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

News, Sports & Politics Hello, good evening, and welcome...

Old 21st August 2015, 03:11 AM   #282743  /  #1
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
Slightly silly Canadian politics thread, sorry about that eh

Here you go Bro D http://mindromp.org/forum/showthread...679#post282679
Brother Daniel (21st August 2015)
Old 21st August 2015, 03:28 AM   #282747  /  #2
Rhys

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Melbourne
I prefer the title 'Freedom to Quebec' .
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 21st August 2015, 03:30 AM   #282750  /  #3
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Lol!

CBC's Poll Tracker shows a neck and neck race across the country, NDP slightly in the lead.

Where Bro D and I live, however, it doesn't look so good, but at least it's Liberals and not the Conservatives leading.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives...015/index.html

Old 21st August 2015, 03:32 AM   #282751  /  #4
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
I prefer the title 'Freedom to Quebec' .
ROC doesn't understand, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to the Atlantic provinces, imo. I bet the West would send us wheat!
Old 21st August 2015, 04:01 AM   #282756  /  #5
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Where Bro D and I live, however, it doesn't look so good, but at least it's Liberals and not the Conservatives leading.
You're in Peter Stoffer's riding, right? He's strongly expected to win again.

Meanwhile in my neighbourhood, I'm kinda surprised that 308.com is indicating that Robert Chisholm will probably lose to Darren Fisher (Liberal). I haven't even seen any Liberal signs up yet; it's all NDP or Conservative so far.
Old 21st August 2015, 04:19 AM   #282757  /  #6
borealis
poikilothermic

I wish. I used to be in Stoffer's riding, but a decade or so ago they snatched this shore and stuck it with Central Nova, so it's been MacKay for an eon. Ross Landry, was an MLA, ex-RCMP is running for the NDP here.

At least May isn't putzing around the riding this time. She really screwed the NDP candidate last federal election, as well as her own party because she wanted to run against MacKay.
Old 21st August 2015, 05:36 AM   #282763  /  #7
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
Now I know how quaint Australian politics sounds to outsiders.
Magicziggy is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (21st August 2015), Brother Daniel (21st August 2015), charlou (21st August 2015), Majiffy (23rd August 2015), nostrum (21st August 2015)
Old 21st August 2015, 09:24 AM   #282777  /  #8
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

the discussion in this thread so far is so niche it sounds like elections for Hobart City Council
Old 21st August 2015, 09:27 AM   #282778  /  #9
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Quote:
is it just me or
Old 21st August 2015, 01:42 PM   #282792  /  #10
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy View Post
Now I know how quaint Australian politics sounds to outsiders.
I know.

We have a big scandal that's been going on for at least 2 years. It's about a Harper appointed senator who fiddled his expenses, and the PMO gave him $90,000 to pay it back since he was broke, which the PMO should not have done, and Harper says he didn't know but everyone thinks he did know, and there's a trial on right now.

It's such a gruellingly boring scandal that Canadians are in agony trying to follow it. But it may indeed affect election results and has led to the odd Conservative supporter going off on reporters, thusly:

Note: guy is an idiot, it has nothing to do with tax returns, it's about bribery and stuff.
Old 21st August 2015, 02:46 PM   #282799  /  #11
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Quote:
I wish. I used to be in Stoffer's riding, but a decade or so ago they snatched this shore and stuck it with Central Nova, so it's been MacKay for an eon. Ross Landry, was an MLA, ex-RCMP is running for the NDP here.
Good chance of Landry winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis
At least May isn't putzing around the riding this time. She really screwed the NDP candidate last federal election, as well as her own party because she wanted to run against MacKay.
That was 2008. In 2011 she ran (and won) out in BC. (In my mother's riding.)
Old 21st August 2015, 02:50 PM   #282800  /  #12
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

In keeping with the thread title
Old 21st August 2015, 02:51 PM   #282801  /  #13
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
is it just me or
who is that?
Old 21st August 2015, 02:58 PM   #282802  /  #14
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel View Post
Quote:
Good chance of Landry winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis
That was 2008. In 2011 she ran (and won) out in BC. (In my mother's riding.)
This is how old I am, past decade just runs together.
Old 21st August 2015, 03:10 PM   #282804  /  #15
borealis
poikilothermic

From article:

Quote:
“There is something very Stalinesque about Harper,” remarks Harris. “My bottom line on this guy is, he hates democracy. He doesn’t care about truth and cares only about the perception of what benefits him. In that way he’s way worse [than his predecessors].”
Yes. It's the creepiest thing about him, and horrifyingly what staunch conservatives seem to like.

And this:

Quote:
If there is one area in which Harper is particularly vulnerable, it’s the charge that he runs one of the most undemocratic regimes in Canadian history – and has undermined and abused democratic institutions and procedures at every turn. In fact, he is the only Canadian prime minister to be found in contempt of Parliament, which occurred in 2011 after his government refused to release costs on certain programs to opposition MPs.
which supporters seem blind to.

Strongest reason to dump him: omnibus bills:

Quote:
In 2012, one of the omnibus bills, C-38, completely gutted Canada’s environmental laws, cut $36-billion from health care funding, weakened Canada’s food inspectors through job cuts, and made it harder to qualify for EI benefits.
...Oh god the rest of the article is making me feel so depressed.

If I knew anyone who voted Conservative I'd make them read this article.

Ontario, ffs get rid of this guy!
Old 21st August 2015, 03:13 PM   #282805  /  #16
borealis
poikilothermic

Why are they polling so high in Alberta, Sask., Man.? He's not helping them.
Old 21st August 2015, 03:31 PM   #282808  /  #17
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Dunno really. But there may be a perception there that only the CPC (as successors of Reform) cares about the West. (I can't help thinking of the Reform Party's old slogan "the West wants in" -- which Harper alluded to in one of his victory speeches.)
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:56 AM   #282898  /  #18
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Daniel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
is it just me or
who is that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Clunes in the role of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Martin

Quote:
Dr Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes), a brilliant and successful vascular surgeon at Imperial College London, develops haemophobia (a fear of blood), forcing him to stop practising surgery. He obtains a post as the sole general practitioner (GP) in the sleepy Cornish village of Portwenn, where he had spent childhood holidays with his Aunt Joan (Stephanie Cole), who owns a local farm. Upon arriving in Portwenn where, to his frustration, the locals address him as "Doc Martin" he finds the surgery (medical clinic) in disarray and inherits an incompetent receptionist, Elaine Denham (Lucy Punch)...

The show revolves around Ellingham's interactions with the local Cornish villagers. Despite his medical brilliance, Ellingham is grouchy and bad-mannered, and lacks social skills. His direct, emotionless manner offends many of the villagers. They perceive him to be hot-tempered and lacking in a bedside manner, whereas he feels he is performing his duties in a professional and by-the-book manner, not wasting time chatting with the villagers. Ellingham is rather wooden and formal, and invariably dresses in a business suit and tie, regardless of the weather or the occasion, and he never takes off his jacket, even when delivering babies. He does not smoke and has no hesitation in pointing out the risks of unhealthy behaviors, both in private and in public gatherings.

The villagers eventually discover his fear of blood, and the frequent and debilitating bouts of nausea and vomiting it causes him. In spite of this handicap, Ellingham proves to be an expert diagnostician and responds effectively to various emergencies in his medical practice; thus, he gradually gains grudging respect from his neighbors. Ellingham's aunt, Joan Norton, provides emotional support in the face of the disquiet his stubborn manner causes among the villagers. When she eventually passes from the scene, she is succeeded by her sister Ruth, a retired psychiatrist.

Ellingham finds it difficult to express his developing romantic feelings towards primary school teacher Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz). He often spoils rare tender moments with, for example, a comment about an unpleasant medical condition or by requesting a stool sample.
Brother Daniel (22nd August 2015)
Old 22nd August 2015, 02:27 AM   #282925  /  #19
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Assuming we get Mulcair as PM: I'm looking forward to the attempts to abolish the Senate. That'll be great fun.
Old 22nd August 2015, 04:46 AM   #282949  /  #20
borealis
poikilothermic

The Senate is pretty entrenched. I remember a very long time ago it was considered a good rein on Parliament, a 'let's not be hasty' arena for second thoughts. That was before it just became a reward system for party cronies.
Old 22nd August 2015, 02:30 PM   #283004  /  #21
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

And even for some time afterwards.

Under Harper, though, it has been a quick rubber stamp of whatever Harper wants.

Before his 2011 majority, he was using it to block opposition legislation passed by the House. The Senate didn't even bother with its traditional hearings and debate.
Old 22nd August 2015, 07:09 PM   #283017  /  #22
borealis
poikilothermic

On Elizabeth May:

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015...-topple-harper

note: I encountered her mother a number of times. She lived for her causes, and was among the worst at listening to people of all the people I've met.
Old 23rd August 2015, 01:20 PM   #283123  /  #23
Majiffy
Grissle Hardman, The MR Mafia Honey Badger

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Note: guy is an idiot, it has nothing to do with tax returns, it's about bribery and stuff.
Not only is he an idiot, he's admitting to tax fraud and he has the funniest little voice.

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (25th August 2015)
Old 25th August 2015, 03:41 AM   #283368  /  #24
Crafty Villain

Hair Wars!

National Post takes down Margaret Atwood column.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/...umn#.iwVQJXWMA
Crafty Villain is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 9th September 2015, 06:12 PM   #285646  /  #25
Brother Daniel
unbowed before the chaos

Ooh, it keeps getting better. Now the polltracker shows the Conservatives getting fewer than 100 seats.

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

Tags
get a job, north dumbfuckistan