Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Science and Information Technology "Hello World"

Old 12th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #452251  /  #2751
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Thanks Canada!
I kept hearing about extreme low temperatures and foul weather. Watched the news, and it showed the bottom half of Canada, cutting off at the 60th parallel.

We are at 62.

Hope it's running weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Cunt is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 12th November 2019, 04:41 PM   #452252  /  #2752
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisdreamz View Post
We got about 15-20 cm of snow last night

I'm really not in the mood for shoveling already
It does feel like a bit of an uphill battle, right?

The ramp we put in for the neighbour makes it WAY harder to clear the snow. Oh well, winter is only really 8 months or so...

Quote:
zel, would you consider not enabling the shitting up of our forum by engaging in these conversations?

Old 13th November 2019, 12:59 AM   #452327  /  #2753
Zeluvia
Send Cash or Drugs

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Evil Duckess
Hard freeze tonight. Have turn the outside faucets on and let them drip all night.

I bet you guys don't have to do that !

Zeluvia is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 13th November 2019, 01:00 AM   #452328  /  #2754
Majiffy
I'll have you know I'm popular on many web forums

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunt View Post
winter is only really 8 months or so...
I feel this on a personal level

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 13th November 2019, 01:48 AM   #452348  /  #2755
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeluvia View Post
Hard freeze
You have my sympathy, but 'hard' is a bit...relative.

Our cold snaps will sit around -40C/F, and because of this, my outdoor hose bib has about a 12" specialty valve, which keeps all the water on the warm side of the wall.

Icing breaks EVERYthing.

Quote:

Old 13th November 2019, 01:49 AM   #452350  /  #2756
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majiffy View Post
Quote:
winter is only really 8 months or so...
I feel this on a personal level
If you really ARE in Buffalo, why the FUCK don't you move somewhere hospitable?

I'm 62 degrees above the equator here, and I assure you my winters are nicer to deal with.

Quote:

Yay from
Majiffy (13th November 2019)
Old 13th November 2019, 02:01 AM   #452358  /  #2757
Majiffy
I'll have you know I'm popular on many web forums

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
I am moving.

ʘᴥʘ
pledged my daily allegiance to Satan and pear-shaped air hockey turntable earth
Vivere diu rebellionus!

Proud propagator of the "fire for warmth" myth
Majiffy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 13th November 2019, 04:22 PM   #452406  /  #2758
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Quote:

The ramp we put in for the neighbour makes it WAY harder to clear the snow. Oh well, winter is only really 8 months or so...
One thing that irritates me here is that the roads and sidewalks, sidewalks especially, just turn to thick sheets of ice.

The snow melts but then freezes again constantly, so you end up with sidewalks that you literally can barely walk on. You need those spike thingys that attach to your shoes.

It's -12 here today
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
borealis (13th November 2019)
Old 13th November 2019, 04:58 PM   #452409  /  #2759
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One thing that irritates me here is that the roads and sidewalks, sidewalks especially, just turn to thick sheets of ice.

The snow melts but then freezes again constantly, so you end up with sidewalks that you literally can barely walk on. You need those spike thingys that attach to your shoes.

It's -12 here today
There are a few options for those shoe-spikes. (watch out if you are wearing them and walk into a place with tiles - they become skates)

The best option is to improve core strength. Everyone hates doing it, but it's pretty easy, and pays off in places like this.

Oh, and for your own sidewalk, maybe scatter a bit of gravel, sand or salt. I even saw one place where the owners put a handrail outside their fence (mainly for one elderly neighbour)

Quote:

Old 13th November 2019, 06:06 PM   #452417  /  #2760
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Minus 4 here right now, but plus 16 in Nfld, our weather from yesterday.

Cat has been whining about it all morning, in and out a dozen times. He really does hate the cold.

Oh, and:

Me, 5 years ago: Maybe we should look into heat pumps.
Mr.b, 5 years ago: 18 reasons why this is a stupid expensive notion and nonsense.

Mr.b 2 days ago: We should look into getting a heat pump.
Me:
Old 13th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #452418  /  #2761
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Minus 4 here right now, but plus 16 in Nfld, our weather from yesterday.

Cat has been whining about it all morning, in and out a dozen times. He really does hate the cold.

Oh, and:

Me, 5 years ago: Maybe we should look into heat pumps.
Mr.b, 5 years ago: 18 reasons why this is a stupid expensive notion and nonsense.

Mr.b 2 days ago: We should look into getting a heat pump.
Me:
What the hell is a 'heat pump'?

And that cat is just looking for the door into summer. It will keep looking.

Quote:

Old 13th November 2019, 06:14 PM   #452419  /  #2762
borealis
poikilothermic

True about cat.

You're kidding, right?

https://www.efficiencyns.ca/resident...ts/heat-pumps

ETA: Common enough now that I know a bunch of people who've had them installed and are very happy with reduced heating bills and cleaner indoor air.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:17 PM   #452420  /  #2763
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
True about cat.

You're kidding, right?

https://www.efficiencyns.ca/resident...ts/heat-pumps

ETA: Common enough now that I know a bunch of people who've had them installed and are very happy with reduced heating bills and cleaner indoor air.
So a fan, basically?

I have installed, maintained and used oil furnaces...they make heat, then 'pump' it to the cool areas of the building...

Are you saying that your heat is not distributed well? Your existing heat pump is failing? Or something else?

Like, were you wanting MORE heat? Or more kelvins moved around your building?

Quote:

Old 13th November 2019, 06:25 PM   #452422  /  #2764
borealis
poikilothermic

Bit more than a fan.

Quote:
A heat pump is an electrical device that extracts heat from one place and transfers it to another. The heat pump is not a new technology; it has been used in Canada and around the world for decades. Refrigerators and air conditioners are both common examples of this technology.
Heat pumps transfer heat by circulating a substance called a refrigerant through a cycle of evaporation and condensation. A compressor pumps the refrigerant between two heat exchanger coils. In one coil, the refrigerant is evaporated at low pressure and absorbs heat from its surroundings. The refrigerant is then compressed en route to the other coil, where it condenses at high pressure. At this point, it releases the heat it absorbed earlier in the cycle.
Refrigerators and air conditioners are both examples of heat pumps operating only in the cooling mode. A refrigerator is essentially an insulated box with a heat pump system connected to it. The evaporator coil is located inside the box, usually in the freezer compartment. Heat is absorbed from this location and transferred outside, usually behind or underneath the unit where the condenser coil is located. Similarly, an air conditioner transfers heat from inside a house to the outdoors.
The heat pump cycle is fully reversible, and heat pumps can provide year-round climate control for your home – heating in winter and cooling and dehumidifying in summer. Since the ground and air outside always contain some heat, a heat pump can supply heat to a house even on cold winter days. In fact, air at –18?C contains about 85 percent of the heat it contained at 21?C.
An air-source heat pump absorbs heat from the outdoor air in winter and rejects heat into outdoor air in summer. It is the most common type of heat pump found in Canadian homes at this time. However, ground-source (also called earth-energy, geothermal, geoexchange) heat pumps, which draw heat from the ground or ground water, are becoming more widely used, particularly in British Columbia, the Prairies and Central Canada.
Having a heat pump extracting heat from exterior air means burning less conventional fuel/energy.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:36 PM   #452423  /  #2765
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Bit more than a fan.

Quote:
A heat pump is an electrical device that extracts heat from one place and transfers it to another. The heat pump is not a new technology; it has been used in Canada and around the world for decades. Refrigerators and air conditioners are both common examples of this technology.
Heat pumps transfer heat by circulating a substance called a refrigerant through a cycle of evaporation and condensation. A compressor pumps the refrigerant between two heat exchanger coils. In one coil, the refrigerant is evaporated at low pressure and absorbs heat from its surroundings. The refrigerant is then compressed en route to the other coil, where it condenses at high pressure. At this point, it releases the heat it absorbed earlier in the cycle.
Refrigerators and air conditioners are both examples of heat pumps operating only in the cooling mode. A refrigerator is essentially an insulated box with a heat pump system connected to it. The evaporator coil is located inside the box, usually in the freezer compartment. Heat is absorbed from this location and transferred outside, usually behind or underneath the unit where the condenser coil is located. Similarly, an air conditioner transfers heat from inside a house to the outdoors.
The heat pump cycle is fully reversible, and heat pumps can provide year-round climate control for your home ? heating in winter and cooling and dehumidifying in summer. Since the ground and air outside always contain some heat, a heat pump can supply heat to a house even on cold winter days. In fact, air at ?18?C contains about 85 percent of the heat it contained at 21?C.
An air-source heat pump absorbs heat from the outdoor air in winter and rejects heat into outdoor air in summer. It is the most common type of heat pump found in Canadian homes at this time. However, ground-source (also called earth-energy, geothermal, geoexchange) heat pumps, which draw heat from the ground or ground water, are becoming more widely used, particularly in British Columbia, the Prairies and Central Canada.
Having a heat pump extracting heat from exterior air means burning less conventional fuel/energy.
I'll have to dig in a bit more, but most of the homes (new and refit) I've examined have been making due with a normal furnace.

Geothermal gets rejected here quite often. It would work, of course, but heaving permafrost makes it a bit...unpredictable. Nothing wrecks infrastructure like ice does.

I don't know the whole system at the Museum, but they have geothermal heat and endless problems managing the system.

Hadn't thought of trying to pull more heat out of cold air outside though...what are they using for heat-transfer fluid at -20 to -40C I wonder...?

Quote:

Old 13th November 2019, 07:17 PM   #452427  /  #2766
borealis
poikilothermic

I dunno. There's tons of info available though. Geothermal's out for us because bedrock so near the surface. Most of the people I know are drawing heat from the air. I suspect it works best in our long shoulder seasons. But as I said, people who have them are pretty happy with the results - one 3 cords of wood per season friend is down to 1 cord per season. They've had their pump for 4 years and had no problems.

Nova Scotia's been offering gov't rebates for several years to encourage installing them in residences. Energy is expensive here, and often dirty.
Old 13th November 2019, 11:08 PM   #452443  /  #2767
Prince Humperdinck

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: 'Murica
Quote:
Most of the people I know are drawing heat from the air. I suspect it works best in our long shoulder seasons.
Yeah, they're really common in the warmer climates. They work well enough when it rarely gets below freezing outside. I think you'll still need to burn something to warm up the house for your real winter.
Old 13th November 2019, 11:12 PM   #452444  /  #2768
Prince Humperdinck

I had to scrape the windshield this morning, and we've had our gas-log fire lit for the last few evenings. It was reportedly 28F (-1 or -2 C) when I was getting ready for work this morning.
Majiffy (14th November 2019)
Old 15th November 2019, 02:20 AM   #452546  /  #2769
Mantisdreamz
corridors, refectories and files

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's -12 here today
There are a few options for those shoe-spikes. (watch out if you are wearing them and walk into a place with tiles - they become skates)

The best option is to improve core strength. Everyone hates doing it, but it's pretty easy, and pays off in places like this.

Oh, and for your own sidewalk, maybe scatter a bit of gravel, sand or salt. I even saw one place where the owners put a handrail outside their fence (mainly for one elderly neighbour)
there's no way scattering a bit of sand or whatnot will do anything. I'm talking like an almost a foot thick layer of ice. Since it's just layers of melt then freeze.

And ya, I've heard those shoe spikes can be deathly on tiles. I almost purchased some today, but then figured I'm probably going to be spending as little time outside as possible
Mantisdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 15th November 2019, 02:37 AM   #452547  /  #2770
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Humperdinck View Post
Quote:
Most of the people I know are drawing heat from the air. I suspect it works best in our long shoulder seasons.
Yeah, they're really common in the warmer climates. They work well enough when it rarely gets below freezing outside. I think you'll still need to burn something to warm up the house for your real winter.
For sure. But if we could reduce our winter fuel costs by half, which seems a typical result here, that would be worth it.
Old 15th November 2019, 03:05 AM   #452548  /  #2771
Prince Humperdinck

Quote:
For sure. But if we could reduce our winter fuel costs by half, which seems a typical result here, that would be worth it.
Only if you live long enough for the amatorization to break even.
Old 15th November 2019, 03:56 AM   #452549  /  #2772
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Quote:
Only if you live long enough for the amatorization to break even.
Fair sized provincial government rebate (up to $2500) is in play. We currently pay about $1150 a year for wood, plus probably around $100 - $150 extra electric for our back-up baseboard heat during winter months (power is expensive here). Our house isn't huge, we can likely get a suitable HP for around $5000 - rebate. It shouldn't take many years to pay for itself.
Old 15th November 2019, 06:14 AM   #452555  /  #2773
Cunt
Unregistered member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
in my small, tight little (900ish) place here, I still burn about 1000l of diesel a year.

Half of that would be worth sniffing at...

Quote:

Old 28th November 2019, 08:29 PM   #452975  /  #2774
borealis
poikilothermic

Wet slippery snow, 1 - 2C, awful driving. I'm just back from performing at the nursing home. Met the plough. Snowing hard enough the wipers can't keep up.
Old 28th November 2019, 08:34 PM   #452978  /  #2775
Brother Daniel
bad case of gleeks

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: a peninsula in the North Atlantic
Just got the email saying people are allowed to leave early due to the crap weather.

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > Science and Information Technology

Tags
a berm!!11!!!11!11, chas n dave enter thread and decide to do one, climate change lol, female squeeze-out theory, flat earth, guys. no., innumerate and proud of it, itt coldies fight warmies, jerome is killing my forum enjoyment, jerome owns this gay thread, jfc zippy, manny the mammoth, msg has a point /notmsg, neil armstrong = omg aliens return, penis, perspective...the way the human eye works, puffary, raccoons and shovels, rubber ducky you make bathtime fun, the and of = 3 words, the and of = two words, this is not a drill, venn diagram needed itt, what fresh hell is this, yet another jerome-owned thread *sigh*