Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Lifestyle and Entertainment I am not bovvered

Old 26th November 2013, 10:56 PM   #129460  /  #101
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Yes:

They vary quite a lot in fur colour and length, mask extent, etc.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:26 PM   #129462  /  #102
gib
mild mannered janitor

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: the thin one out of Laurel & Hardy
where do these guys sit on the carnivora family tree, they sort of look like a bit of everything
Old 27th November 2013, 02:18 AM   #129468  /  #103
borealis
poikilothermic

They are cousins of coatis and olingos and kinkajous, procyonids. I'd have to look it up but I think they are distantly related to bears.

They are omnivores and love human food trash. There are successful populations in most North American cities. They will get into attics and have babies there which is a serious problem - think 10kg. rats.

I like them, they're clever fearless little bastards with hands, but they can be very bitey if you get too close and make terrible pets, so of course people do make pets of them.
Old 28th November 2013, 06:18 PM   #129576  /  #104
Anonymous

A relatively large percentage of them is rabid, too. So, never a good idea to approach one--especially if it seems really friendly.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 28th November 2013, 08:17 PM   #129583  /  #105
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
A relatively large percentage of them is rabid, too. So, never a good idea to approach one--especially if it seems really friendly.
Not so much this side of the border. In the US there's a serious raccoon rabies problem, but Canadian raccoons are mostly free of the disease. New Brunswick occasionally sees a rabid one - illegal American immigrant raccoons.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1356157139999
Old 12th December 2013, 04:36 AM   #130461  /  #106
borealis
poikilothermic

I made sandwiches for the crows this morning. I've been saving bacon fat and bread ends and had a fair amount, so I tore the bread into crow size pieces, swiped a gob of fat on one and jammed another down on it and tossed them in the crow-feeding spot. Eleven crows showed up less than ten minutes later and had a little party in the light snow that fell last night.

It's really cold this week. Fat is good for crows, even reduced-salty old bacon grease, if it helps them get through the winter.
Old 12th December 2013, 04:45 AM   #130462  /  #107
charlou
arseist

What to do about a young magpie with a seriously deformed beak ..the parents are weening it and I fear it is going to starve.
Old 12th December 2013, 04:51 AM   #130463  /  #108
borealis
poikilothermic

Sad.

Can it grasp food? We have no magpies in this province so I don't even know what they normally eat.

We do have wildlife rehabilitators who are licensed to take in injured animals and try to help them if possible. Got people like that anywhere near?
Old 12th December 2013, 06:40 AM   #130470  /  #109
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
bacon is good for crows, but bread I'm not so sure about
Old 12th December 2013, 10:17 AM   #130476  /  #110
gib
mild mannered janitor

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: the thin one out of Laurel & Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlou View Post
What to do about a young magpie with a seriously deformed beak ..the parents are weening it and I fear it is going to starve.
what's wrong with the beak exactly?
Old 12th December 2013, 12:40 PM   #130479  /  #111
borealis
poikilothermic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Bread is short on fat and protein, which is the main reason for not feeding vast quantities of it to birds, esp. small ones. The crows mostly get meat scraps from me, but I thought the fat would be good for them, and the bread was the easiest way to portion it out.
Old 13th December 2013, 12:13 AM   #130486  /  #112
charlou
arseist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlou View Post
what's wrong with the beak exactly?
The beak has become scissored and curled on the ends .. kinda like how fingernails curl when they're grown really long. The head is not symmetrical so the eyes are also affected. This is not an exaggeration:

I put leftover cooked rice out for the birds yesterday which attracted the young magpie and an older one. Young one is definitely being weaned and quite hungry .. it stayed on alone for some time after the older one had left, trying to pick up and eat the rice using the bottom part of it's beak and it's tongue.

Poor little guy.

I don't know how the internal system of a bird's beak works, but assume the constant exposure to air must affect the tongue, palate and throat.

I called the local wildlife sanctuary and was advised to put out pieces of puppy food (not having any atm, I've put out tinned cat mince). I asked if it takes long for a bird to succumb if it can't eat, and was told that the bird will become weak and develop pneumonia before dying after several days. It was suggested that I try to catch it, to take it in to be put out of its misery.

I'm sad, but pragmatic about this. This group of magpies is relatively shy, the local currawongs dominate.

Last edited by charlou; 13th December 2013 at 12:27 AM.
charlou is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
Magicziggy (13th December 2013), TheAtheistWhoStoleJesus (25th February 2014)
Old 13th December 2013, 12:27 AM   #130487  /  #113
charlou
arseist

They've been back and I managed to get a clearer pic

Old 13th December 2013, 12:50 AM   #130489  /  #114
gib
mild mannered janitor

jesus that is extreme

can you tame it
Old 13th December 2013, 01:02 AM   #130490  /  #115
charlou
arseist

It's possible to tame young magpies, so I'll continue to put soft meat out and see how it goes.

Years ago a magpie turned up at our place with half of it's upper beak missing and we fed it for several months. It would pick up the bits of mince we put out by a combination of scooping or poking the tip of its lower beak into the mince, then kinda tossing it up and catching it in it's mouth. It developed a similar method for catching bugs. It moved on to hang around the local primary school, where it became a familiar sight scavenging scraps at recess and lunch time.
Old 13th December 2013, 01:08 AM   #130491  /  #116
gib
mild mannered janitor

as for the dry tongue thing, well the parents have kept it alive this long
Old 13th December 2013, 01:12 AM   #130492  /  #117
charlou
arseist

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
Quote:
Bread is short on fat and protein, which is the main reason for not feeding vast quantities of it to birds, esp. small ones. The crows mostly get meat scraps from me, but I thought the fat would be good for them, and the bread was the easiest way to portion it out.
I've been putting the occasional leftover home baked bread out for the magpies and currawongs .. the wattle birds don't mind it either .. Not too much or too often because they shouldn't become reliant ... I never thought to add fat or dripping.
Old 13th December 2013, 01:13 AM   #130493  /  #118
charlou
arseist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
as for the dry tongue thing, well the parents have kept it alive this long
True.
Old 13th December 2013, 03:05 AM   #130497  /  #119
borealis
poikilothermic

That's very extreme. I'd been thinking if it wasn't very severe the beak could be shortened or reshaped a little. But then, animals can surprise us by managing with quite severe difficulties. poor thing.

I'm feeling a bit depressed about a beaver family this evening. There's been some trees taken by beavers over at a small lake (not the one I live on, but nearby) and someone's already trapped two of them, maybe to move but more likely to kill, because of complaints about the trees. I just hate it. People just won't bother to protect their trees, which can be done by painting the bottoms with a mixture of paint and coarse sand. Instead they immediately want the beavers out of there.

Quote:
Beavers mate for life, but if one mate dies, the other one will find another mate. Beavers mate when they are about three years old. Mating season runs from January and March in cold regions and in late November or December in the south. Gestation lasts about three months, and females have one litter of kits a year between April and June. Before birth, the female makes a soft bed in the lodge. The babies' eyes are open when they are born. They can swim within 24 hours of birth and will be exploring outside the lodge with their parents within a few days. Young beavers are weaned in about two weeks. Both the male and the female take care of the young beavers. They stay with their parents for two years. Beavers can live to be 20 years old.

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/beaver.htm#6
Old 13th December 2013, 03:13 AM   #130498  /  #120
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
yeah I think that maggie has a date with Darwin
Old 13th December 2013, 04:33 AM   #130500  /  #121
charlou
arseist

Quote:
yeah I think that maggie has a date with Darwin
I think so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post
I'm feeling a bit depressed about a beaver family this evening. There's been some trees taken by beavers over at a small lake (not the one I live on, but nearby) and someone's already trapped two of them, maybe to move but more likely to kill, because of complaints about the trees. I just hate it. People just won't bother to protect their trees, which can be done by painting the bottoms with a mixture of paint and coarse sand. Instead they immediately want the beavers out of there.
I don't get people who live in a beautiful, natural place, then proceed to mess with it.

Are beavers not protected?
Old 13th December 2013, 05:06 AM   #130503  /  #122
borealis
poikilothermic

There are a whole lot of beavers, so they aren't in need of a lot of protection. Technically, you're supposed to call Natural Resources who will determine if the beavers need moving and if it's feasible to put them somewhere else, but in reality a lot of people just take matters into their own hands and trap or kill them.

And the truth is, in some situations beavers can absolutely destroy a human environment. They can build huge long dams, like this one in Alberta that can be viewed by satellites. It's 850 metres long and growing.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/zo...nada-space.htm

Which is no problem in Wood Buffalo park, but when a family of beavers dams off a stream and floods the local community, they really do need to be interfered with, if only by breaking up their dams.

But in most cases, they're just bringing down some species of hardwood trees to harvest the branches for the under-bark they eat.
Old 14th December 2013, 03:59 AM   #130524  /  #123
borealis
poikilothermic

We're having a severe cold spell. No really, it is January cold instead of December cold, -9 to -16 cold for days on end until we get that 20cm snowstorm on Sunday. The lake iced over a couple days ago and is making those booming sounds I don't expect until after new Year's.

But today we had an errand in the middle of the province so drove 'through country', up along the river and through farmland. There must have been a ringneck pheasant population explosion this summer, because we saw lots of them. Gorgeous birds, some of them flying low over the snow. They don't even look like they should be able to fly, with their over-built long tails and heavy bodies. They look exotic and prehistoric at the same time.

(apologies to whoever this photo was taken by)

Old 14th December 2013, 05:03 AM   #130527  /  #124
charlou
arseist

They'd be quite a sight.

Why does the lake boom?
Old 14th December 2013, 05:26 AM   #130528  /  #125
borealis
poikilothermic

Once the ice completely covers the surface, and as it gets colder, the sheet expands and makes a periodic hollow booming sound, quite loud. Sometimes it cracks from the stress and that sounds like a long crack of thunder.

ETA: Sometimes it sounds like a whale singing.

Last edited by borealis; 14th December 2013 at 05:30 AM.
borealis is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Yay from
charlou (15th December 2013)

MindRomp Forum > Culture, the Arts and Humanities > Lifestyle and Entertainment

Tags
apology accepted, canadian lobster sucks, daves not home man, fuck off cunt, fucking cat, get a job, horse's handbrake, jack, mate, penis, penis penis penis, purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile, sparrows