Links
Portal |  Forum | Core Values | 
MindRomp Forum  

FAQ Janitors Arcade
Go Back   MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

News, Sports & Politics Hello, good evening, and welcome...

Old 12th November 2012, 08:21 AM   #72092  /  #1
charlou
arseist

Australia - national inquiry into church abuse

From MSG's First Dog On The Moon thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
eta http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-1...ission/4367364
This will be followed with interest.

Thoughts on the scale of the inquiry:

Quote:
TONY EASTLEY: While there are growing calls for a national royal commission, a senior barrister says the scale of the problem is so large that a single inquiry may not be the best way to go.

Andrew Morrison SC from the Australian Lawyers Alliance says it would be more realistic and effective for each state and territory to hold their own inquiries.

Victoria is already investigating allegations of systemic child abuse and New South Wales, as we heard, has announced a special commission of inquiry.

Dr Morrison has told AM's Brendan Trembath that a national inquiry would cost tens of millions of dollars and have to deal with an enormous amount of paperwork.

ANDREW MORRISON: It would be a very good thing in many ways but the scale of the problem, the resources involved - I think there are some 34 Roman Catholic Diocese in Australia - all of their records are going to have to be examined.

Other church records, that is Anglican, Salvation Army, Uniting, and others may also become involved as well because although the Catholic Church is the dominant problem, overwhelmingly there have been examples in other churches as well.
more here
charlou is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 12th November 2012, 09:26 AM   #72094  /  #2
Magicziggy
vandal

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Loadsamoney
I was listening to news radio and a telling interview with a phd student doing her doctoral thesis on abuse within the Catholic Church. She stated that state enquiries would basically be toothless whilst a royal commission would have clout. This is going to snowball over the coming weeks and months.
Magicziggy is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 12th November 2012, 09:30 AM   #72095  /  #3
Magicziggy
vandal

The other important point about royal commissions is that they are independent whereas a state enquiry would be politicized to a certain extent in the appointment of the panels etc.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:21 AM   #72099  /  #4
Adenosine
Needs essential amino acids

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Australia
I think this is going to be huge. And it's going to damage the RCC in Australia enormously.

What other organisations are going to be investigated?
Adenosine is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 12th November 2012, 10:41 AM   #72103  /  #5
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Nyfb
depends on the terms of reference.

it will have to look at reports from other churches. remember when John Howard made Anglican Archbishop Peter Hollingsworth Governor-General?
Old 12th November 2012, 10:42 AM   #72106  /  #6
Adenosine
Needs essential amino acids

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Australia
Ah yes.
Adenosine is online now   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 12th November 2012, 12:45 PM   #72110  /  #7
borealis
poikilothermic

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Canada
Should be interesting.

Quote:
remember when John Howard made Anglican Archbishop Peter Hollingsworth Governor-General?
How was that not severely controversial? And is the GG in Australia the same as in Canada, largely ceremonial but signature needed on a variety of gov. paperwork? We had our last GG sign to allow Harper to prorogue Parliament, was very controversial. First time in ages a GG had real impact, not cool at all.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:24 PM   #72129  /  #8
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Historically ex-Members of Parliament have been appointed GG, so an Anglican archbishop didn't raise any particular eyebrows. I raised it here because he was forced to resign after cases came to light where he had mishandled child sex abuse reports in his bishopric (if that's the word.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_H...th#Resignation
Old 12th November 2012, 10:36 PM   #72130  /  #9
charlou
arseist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenosine View Post
I think this is going to be huge. And it's going to damage the RCC in Australia enormously.

What other organisations are going to be investigated?
In her announcement, the PM said that all organisations who've been responsible for the care of children will be investigated, religious or not. As they should be.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:38 PM   #72131  /  #10
charlou
arseist

The catholic church in Australia has said it will cooperate fully with the inquiry, and reiterated it's apology to the abused for the way it has handled things.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:50 PM   #72135  /  #11
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

there's a growing danger that the scope will be so large the RC will take forever and be unable to decide anything
Old 13th November 2012, 05:57 AM   #72149  /  #12
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Old 13th November 2012, 07:03 AM   #72155  /  #13
MondoVman
Giant Member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Southwest Atlantica
Will investigations and meted-out justice be more swift, level headed, severe, and/or publicly accepted given that Australia is not the first country to go through this, i.e. it's version of this?
Old 14th November 2012, 06:38 AM   #72183  /  #14
Magicziggy
vandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoVman View Post
Will investigations and meted-out justice be more swift, level headed, severe, and/or publicly accepted given that Australia is not the first country to go through this, i.e. it's version of this?
Swift,no. About 10 years they reckon.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:40 AM   #72190  /  #15
charlou
arseist

Calls to break down the confessional wall

Quote:
ELEANOR HALL: In Canberra, MPs and senators from all sides of politics are being pressed on whether they think priests should be compelled to report crimes revealed in the confession box.

Emily Bourke has the latest from the national capital.

EMILY BOURKE: The Archbishop of Sydney Cardinal George Pell made it clear during yesterday's media conference that members of the clergy must abide by the laws of the land, but that the seal of the confessional remains inviolable.

But the Federal Attorney-General Nicola Roxon says the Royal Commission will likely examine whether the confessional box has served as an institutional barrier to dealing with child abuse.

NICOLA ROXON: We need to look whether any of those sorts of processes were part of the problem or not. We know that there's delicate matters but ultimately I think the thing that's important is to pick commissioners with high standing and appropriate experience and let them do the job, which is sifting through what any sorts of barriers, institutional or systematic, were there that when children who had already been treated appallingly raised matters, they were then let down as well by other adults.

EMILY BOURKE: The issue might be pitting the church against the state, but politicians from across the political and religious spectrum are finding themselves on the same page.

The Opposition Leader Tony Abbott - who trained as a priest - says nobody is above the law.

TONY ABBOTT: There are various requirements on people. If they become aware of sexual offences against children, those legal requirements must be adhered to. The law is no respecter of persons, everyone has to obey the law, regardless of what job they're doing, regardless of what position they hold.

EMILY BOURKE: Mr Abbott wouldn't be drawn on whether there should be law reform, but the clash between canon law and civil law is familiar ground for the South Australian Independent Senator, Nick Xenophon.

NICK XENOPHON: Well, eight years ago in the South Australian Parliament I moved legislative amendments to abolish the seal of the confessional in cases where child sex abuse allegations were made. In other words, where the welfare of children was at stake in relation to serious allegations of child sexual abuse, then the so-called seal of confessional should no longer apply.

EMILY BOURKE: What was the resistance to your suggestions eight years ago?

NICK XENOPHON: Well, there was enormous resistance, particularly from the Catholic Church, enormous resistance from both the state Labor Government and the Liberal Opposition to say that this was something that went too far.

The argument given by some in the church is that those who are paedophiles won't come forward to confess their sins but the evidence I've seen is that on some occasions this is used as a shield for paedophiles to, in a sense, continue to offend because they feel that they have in some way absolved themselves by going to the confessional.

But just a few weeks ago I was approached by a middle aged man who told me that he was sexually abused within the Catholic Church at a very young age from the ages of six to 13 and at the age of 10 he went to the confessional and he was told that effectively he was a sinner and he needed to repent.

Now I find that just abominable and in a circumstance such as that there can be no excuse for the seal of the confessional to remain.

EMILY BOURKE: And he says if the Republic of Ireland can move to introduce laws that would see an end to the confidentiality of the confessional, then Australia should do the same.

NICK XENOPHON: Ireland's commission of inquiry into child sex abuse recommended that the so-called seal of the confessional be broken in cases of child sex abuse and that's very significant that in Ireland, they're now looking at law reform to abolish this medieval law.

The laws of the land should always trump church law, particularly where it relates to the welfare of children and I think it's very significant that a nation such as Ireland is saying this much change after hundreds of years of medieval canon law, this is something that must change.

ELEANOR HALL: The Independent Senator Nick Xenophon, speaking to Emily Bourke in Canberra.
Yep, I have nothing but respect for Nick Xenophon.
Old 27th July 2016, 10:20 AM   #337576  /  #16
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Holy fu... Pell being investigated over child abuse allegations

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-2...laints/7664674

this is the Cardinal Pell who Pope Francis basically appointed the Vatican Treasurer, who was interviewed over allegations he didn't do enough about other abusive priests in Nyfb over about 20 years

Quote:
The complaints include those by two men now in their forties, from George Pell's home town of Ballarat, who say he touched them inappropriately in the summer of 1978-79 when he was playing a throwing game with them at the town's Eureka pool.

In another complaint, Torquay businessman Les Tyack gave a statement to the royal commission last year relating to an incident at the Torquay Surf Life Saving Club in the summer of 1986-87.

He said he walked into the club change rooms to discover a naked George Pell behaving in a manner that caused him concern in front of three boys he estimated to be aged between 8 and 10 years old.

A further complaint about George Pell that 7.30 is aware of relates to the period in the 1990s when George Pell was setting up the Melbourne Response the Australian Catholic Church's first attempt to seriously address child abuse.

It involves two teenage choirboys who asked their parents to leave the choir soon after the alleged abuse had occurred.
Pell says the claims are "totally untrue and utterly wrong"
Old 30th July 2016, 04:38 PM   #338033  /  #17
Cunt
Unregistered member

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Circum-polar region
Untrue AND wrong? Well, that should be good enough for any right-thinking person.

*Caution*
Feminism IS the Patriarchy.

Cunt is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 30th July 2016, 04:42 PM   #338034  /  #18
rachmarie
Equi-Feminist Extraordinaire

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: Buffalo, NY
methinks he doth protest too much

##vote Pell ##
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote topbottom
Old 24th September 2016, 08:06 AM   #352718  /  #19
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

trigger warning https://www.theguardian.com/australi...the-microscope
Spoiler
Quote:
CPK told the police of Farrell fondling, fellating, masturbating and digitally penetrating him. He was acquitted. The police took no further action. CPK began civil proceedings and, in the course of reaching a settlement, the church finally compelled Farrell to resign from the priesthood.

CPK hanged himself in 2007.
Old 24th September 2016, 11:13 AM   #352730  /  #20
Magicziggy
vandal

How they get away with it is beyond me. I read the entire account of the weeks proceedings. They are all complicit.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:22 AM   #381021  /  #21
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

Royal Commission currently releasing data on reports of child abuse within the Catholic Church in Australia going back to 1950; the numbers of reported perpetrators are horrifying:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-0...sydney/8242600

Quote:
Religious orders were in the firing line with the data suggesting that between 1950 and 2010, more than 20 per cent of Marist Brothers, Salesians of the Don Bosco and Christian Brothers had allegations of child sexual abuse against them.

For the St John of God Brothers, that number was 40.4 per cent.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:31 AM   #381023  /  #22
Timewave

Read my posts with the following stupid accent: IN MY HEAD (MOSTLY)
"Of the 1,880 identified alleged perpetrators, 597 or 32 per cent were religious brothers, 572 or 30 per cent were priests, 543 or 29 per cent were lay people and 96 or 5 per cent were religious sisters," she said.

30 percent were priests.
It would be interesting to see figures for the Anglican church.

The whole idea of catholic priest celibacy which was put in place to stop priests leaving their amassed fortunes to their families has been a failure in human misery, although it has worked for the church's greed and avarice.
Old 6th February 2017, 08:20 AM   #381147  /  #23
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-0...of-god/8245306

Quote:
Forty per cent of the members of the Brothers of St John of God had allegations of child sexual abuse made against them from 1950 until 2010, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has revealed.

"They were providing services generally for disadvantaged people, orphans and other vulnerable people," he said.

"They were often residential institutions, and many of the victims there had no relatives to come and see them.

"And so, it was open season."
Old 6th February 2017, 08:50 AM   #381150  /  #24
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

meanwhile https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2017/01/...g-abuse-cases

Quote:
ROME- In a move likely to be read as an attempt by Pope Francis to show resolve in the fight against clerical sexual abuse, the pontiff has named Boston’s Cardinal Sean O’Malley, widely seen as the leading reformer in the Catholic hierarchy, as a member of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the powerful Vatican department that handles abuse cases.
Old 13th May 2017, 01:59 AM   #399518  /  #25
MSG
Ol' Zipperlaig

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ca...12-gw3pe8.html

Quote:
A soon-to-be-released book about Cardinal Pell contains detailed claims that he sexually abused two choirboys at St Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne in the late 1990s.

MindRomp Forum > General Discussion > News, Sports & Politics

Tags
purple throbbing heat seeking moisture missile